HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2001, 01:37 AM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Is the Tiny a good third plane?

I have been lusting after one of these planes for quite a while. I just started flying in March 2001 and trying to increase my skill. Is this plane forgiving enough at this point or should I wait? Heck for that matter how difficult is the assembly.
This is one of the first planes I found when looking into eflight and I already have the plans downloaded for a rainy day. What do you guys think?
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2001, 07:17 AM
Brussels,Belgium
Joined Feb 2000
81 Posts
I've one
The construction was great .
The flying with either a 1717 or mabuchi 150
on 8 x 50mA NiCd's is slow and not 3D like .

I think there are other kits , sold with heavier batteries and motor .
With this kind of wing , this should be possible , exept for the CF rod witch is the fuselage and is difficult to stock heavier batts and stuff .

to resume , I like the looks , but I hardly let it fly.

regards
Koen VG
Koen Van Goethem is offline Find More Posts by Koen Van Goethem
Old Jun 27, 2001, 08:06 AM
Wakefield, MA
Joined Feb 2001
769 Posts
I have one with a GWS DXA and stock prop, but additional pitch twisted in. I'm now flying on the 8 cell 300mah NiMH packs sold by Radical RC. ($17 power system, $25 ESC, $17 battery, whole package is almost cheaper than one of those carbon props!) Good power and still flies slow in a small area even with the additional weight. Also, the extra weight helps out in the wind (well shouldn't say wind, maybe steady breeze?). This being said, it is probably too fast for indoors, unless you are in a hanger.

I did a perfect figure 9 last weekend, and totally busted up the GB. Glued and zip tied it back together until I get a replacement. I'll see how it works this weekend.

Almost forgot, this plane is very twitchy! I'm using my focus III which does not have exponential and isn't making things easier. Much more difficult to keep in the air than my Zagi. And this is with all the controls at minimum deflection! Not a good idea for your first aileron plane IMHO.

[This message has been edited by member73 (edited 06-27-2001).]
member73 is offline Find More Posts by member73
Old Jun 27, 2001, 09:38 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I built one with a GWS motor. Extremely twitchy and lasted one flight. I went back to my DuskStik to get more time under my belt then designed my own aerobatic. I expect I'll eventually bring the Tiny back from the dead but I'm too busy with other projects right now.

Doug
www.duskstik.com
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jun 27, 2001, 09:50 AM
www.toddsmodels.com
North Bend, WA.
Joined Apr 2000
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by member73:
Almost forgot, this plane is very twitchy!
If you find this plane "twitchy" then "you" have done something wrong. It is a very solid flying plane with no bad habbits. Try building one as it was designed and it will be a great little plane.

As a third airplane it should be fine for your flying skills. Assembly is very fast and easy.

Todd www.toddsmodels.com

[This message has been edited by Todd Long (edited 06-27-2001).]
Todd Long is offline Find More Posts by Todd Long
Old Jun 27, 2001, 10:16 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I wrote my response BEFORE coffee. I meant no disrespect to the design. Todd has a very innovative design here. By using the GWS A motor and inexpensive servos, I made mine heavy. It also wasn't trimmed. Those facts, combined with my mediocre flying skills, made for a rather spastic flight that ended with a wing strike that destroyed the ribs on that side of the wing. I've seen videos of the Tiny fly and it's awesome.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jun 28, 2001, 01:31 AM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
Todd is right! If you build it as the plans suggest it is a very solid flyer. I have built two Tiny's (V-Tail) and am building another (Conventional Tail) for a club member as well as a 66% V-Tail version. I flew the first one at my clubs indoor site and everyone wanted one of their own. I powered mine with the DX-A motor on a 6 cell 270mAh battery pack. The power was on the low end but good enough for indoor. I also tried an 8 cell 120mAh battery pack. With the 120mAh pack it took off in two feet and flew like a dream. The site we fly at is a single indoor basketball court and it flew just fine in those confines. I'm going to try another battery so i can get a little more speed for aerobatics. This has got to be one of the best flying and most fun planes I have flown in a long time.

Thanks Todd for such and awesome plane

Jeffrey Park
OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels
Old Jun 28, 2001, 01:52 AM
Wakefield, MA
Joined Feb 2001
769 Posts
Hi Todd-
I actually bought the kit from you, along with motor and ESC. I built the V-Tail version to spec (other than power plant of course!). Its a bit nose heavy with the CG right on the spar, I wanted to make it a little more stable in the beginning, I can move the battery pack back a little to get it just right. I too didn't mean any disrespect to your design, I didn't even mean twitchy as a bad thing. Maybe I should have said "very responsive". It seems to perform an action about a millisecond before I actually move the sticks. Again, I'm sure this has to do with a combination of my plane being heavily loaded and no exponential on the radio. I have no intention to change a thing on the plane, I like the way it flies, now I just have to get better at it.

It really is a fun little airplane and I'm glad its in my "hanger". Its just without knowing Mike C's experience it was hard for me to recommend the plane. I still don't think ANY low wing, built up, 24" wingspan, symmetrical airfoil is a good idea for an aileron trainer. With that being said...Mike C what have you flown so far?
member73 is offline Find More Posts by member73