HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2005, 12:32 AM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
Alert
Lipo prices may be on the rise

Chinese Lipo prices are likely to go up due to a recent change in Chinese currency. And along with that billions of other products with "Made in China" label.

here is a message copied from one of the Chinese RC hobby suppliers page

"China announced to allow its yuan to appreciate by a 2 percent on 21st July 2005, as a result, we also changed our prices and increased by about 1.5 percent, we will adjust our prices according to the changes of goverment exchange rate in the future. "

What does this mean to a lipo consumer? As older supplies of lipos are selling out you should have not see much change, but new orders and contracts will likely have a slight affect on price.

I sincerely hope that we will not have to make any adjustments in price do to currency change (I am more worried about price increase due to the rise in transportation cost and oil prices)

Best Regards,

Dan
www.TrueRC.com
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2005, 06:14 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
yes..although its not freely floating, it would seem that the chinese currency is set to appreciate against the dollar.

The dollar is also falling back against the Euro and sterling, after having reached a temporary high over the last 3-6 months.which will increase prices of imports from these parts.

I try to track these things, but since nearly everywhere apart from China looks set for a recesssion of one sort or another, its really a question of whose currency drops faster...

Today the dollar is falling the Yuan is rising and euro and sterling are more or less static with respect to each other..

I think you could ultimately see as much as 15% price rise on chinese goods.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 01, 2005, 07:28 AM
luc
I plant balsa sticks too
France
Joined Feb 2000
3,585 Posts
who cares about 2%....as long as the quality and service are good?
luc is offline Find More Posts by luc
Old Aug 01, 2005, 07:30 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2004
2,358 Posts
need the prices to go the other way, they are already reletivly expensive as they are. They come dirt cheap out of Korea, if only they had an online shop!
Philpops is offline Find More Posts by Philpops
Old Aug 01, 2005, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2005
284 Posts
Lipo technology is always improving so as long as it is well ahead of inflation it's not so bad
tipperary is offline Find More Posts by tipperary
Old Aug 01, 2005, 09:37 PM
Vampowered!
Crestview Florida
Joined Dec 2003
1,817 Posts
2% as a price increase is very fair in the face of the cost of global raw materials. Juat my opin.
Thanks
Vammy
Vamooska is offline Find More Posts by Vamooska
Old Aug 01, 2005, 11:19 PM
Registered Foam Abuser
Stone Mountain
Joined Oct 2003
1,592 Posts
Let their prices and standard of living rise,,,,,we may get some of our jobs back. I'd pay 30% more for batteries made in the USA.
jiggiba is offline Find More Posts by jiggiba
Old Aug 01, 2005, 11:43 PM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
Unfortunately I have yet to come across a Lipo manufacturer state side, and everyone I talked to that sells lipos commercially in USA will not sell to RC market. Even if they did we would probably pay 4x the price, and have to order 100 thousand cells at a time.

We have a big battery power company here in Elk Grove Village, IL when I called them for a sample of a 100 cells they quoted me a ridicules sum.

2% may be an easy pill to swallow but 15% I would definetly think about before buying anything. I guess we as consumers can be "trained" over time like when the oil companies "trained" us to think that $2.20 per galon of unleaded is cheap

Dan
TrueRC
Old Aug 02, 2005, 01:19 AM
UK / Germany
Joined Nov 2001
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpops
need the prices to go the other way, they are already reletivly expensive as they are. They come dirt cheap out of Korea, if only they had an online shop!
Where are you buying your lipos from them?

Paul
pgleesonuk is offline Find More Posts by pgleesonuk
Old Aug 02, 2005, 02:18 AM
Joined Mar 2005
129 Posts
This Yuan is going to take a really long time to fully float. I wouldn't worry about chineese lipos skyrocketting any time soon.
Baseheadz is offline Find More Posts by Baseheadz
Old Aug 02, 2005, 05:52 AM
luc
I plant balsa sticks too
France
Joined Feb 2000
3,585 Posts
$2.20 a gallon is very cheap...here we pay around 6$...;don't complain...
luc is offline Find More Posts by luc
Old Aug 02, 2005, 06:07 AM
Vtol Builder
High Wycombe, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
and in the uk it costs even more (about 8 - 10$ depending on where you live and where you get it from!)

As tech improves the prices will drop, even if there is an increase in price due to the exchange rate that should be offset and more by the decrease in price due to the latest products being released!
Lewist is offline Find More Posts by Lewist
Old Aug 02, 2005, 07:00 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
However currency is set to shift about a bit as different zones are on different parts of the cycle.

UK and US heading for recession, Euroland and Japan on the up, and china flying at WOT

Chinas currency policy is not overt: analkysts suspect its being pegged to a broad basket of currencies with te dollar being the major part, but not the only part.

That means if the dollar slides against other currencies the Yuan will slide as well, but not as far..so the relative difference could be substantial.

Its going to be an interesting few years....to come.
Old Aug 02, 2005, 01:53 PM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luc
$2.20 a gallon is very cheap...here we pay around 6$...;don't complain...

you see what I mean
Old Aug 02, 2005, 07:06 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Just wait till the dollar falls against the Euro, and the Arabs start pricing oil in Euros

When I used to do RC in the 60's a 'proportional' set cost Ģ200 and that was 2 months income.

About $5000 in todays money.