HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2005, 07:19 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Charging JR 8103 battery in radio

What's the max rate I can charge the Tx pack in the radio? I've got a Triton and the Expert JR Tx adapter. The wall wart trickles at 65 mAh, but with a 600 mAh pack can I charge it at 1C through the jack?
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2005, 07:24 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,162 Posts
Above 1C, be careful. I have seen melted Tx cases that resulted when things went wrong. Don't forget that JR's jack polarity is Negative tip.

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Jul 31, 2005, 07:39 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Thanks,

The adapter is made for JR Tx's, so the polarity is the right way around. So is the risk just a warm pack in the Tx? Can I up the charge rate if I take the pack out of the Tx?

Actually, I wanted a plug that would let me connect to the Tx pack directly, but when I got home from the LHS I saw that I had the Tx jack and the Rx pack jack. So my concern is running more current than the wall-wart produces through the Tx itself.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 08:33 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,162 Posts
The last time I checked, the stock cells in a JR Tx were not rated for high-C charge rates. I personally would not encourage more than 1C.
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Jul 31, 2005, 09:39 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
I wasn't looking for more than that, but I'm forgetful enough that I've left the Tx on a few times... 1C is much, much better than 0.1C... it means I can fly the same day!
Old Jul 31, 2005, 09:53 PM
My member is not
Melbourne City Hlpt, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
759 Posts
Squidbait,

Regrettably I have to admit I have also done this numerous times.

I have installed a high brightness LED with a 330Ohm resistor that swithes on when the TX is on. This has helped a lot. Perhaps look at that option too.

I've got a spare battery for the TX that I normally carry in the tool/field box. They are relatively cheap. I've got some LiPos the right size but have been chicken to try them yet on my 3810 ( Australian version of 8103 ).

Cheers
Zlatko
Zlatko is offline Find More Posts by Zlatko
Old Aug 01, 2005, 11:29 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,340 Posts
Whatever the capacity of the pack, I would NOT recommend exceeding 0.85A currents (whether charging or discharging) as the wires are rather thin, generating voltage drop at higher currents as well as heat.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2005, 12:18 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,374 Posts
While people do fast charge their Tx battery while still in the transmitter why take the chance? It only takes something going wrong once to damage your transmitter. If you must rapid charge, take it out of the transmitter first.

Best thing to do though is to buy a transmitter pack with more capacity. I've currently got a 1400ma pack in my 8103 and an 1800ma pack in my 9303. I've flown all day with either one and didn't have to worry about charging at all. Standard c/10 charging and they are ready to go all day and then some. If I do feel the need to do a field charge, the battery always comes out of the transmitter. I'd rather the battery burned up rather than it AND the transmitter if something went wrong.

I still have my original 600ma packs that I keep charged and stored in my transmitter case for a backup if ever needed but I've never had to swap out the transmitter battery pack just due to the large capacity ones I now have.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2