HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:13 PM
N. Carolina
Joined Jul 2005
18 Posts
What's all the hype? Or is it hype?

I'm new to the board and new to helicopters. I have been racing RC cars for quite a while 1/8th scale buggies. So I'm not new to RC. And I know how sometimes things get hyped for no reason. But here it is.

I've been reading this board and a few others and all the talk is about the T-REX XL, and ARK 400X. Are they really all they are cracked up to be? Or is it just because they are a little bigger than the other micros? The reason I ask is I just ordered a Hummingbird CP. I hadn't read many boards before I ordered though. So did I mess up? Is this a good model for a beginer? I got a good deal on the Hummingbird CP with all the stuff needed and a Airtronics RD6000. I just hope it wasn't a mistake. The radio I can grow with. But the model has me wondering.
Thanks, Tripp
Tripp is offline Find More Posts by Tripp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:20 PM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
My first helo was a Dragonfly, and the T-rex is a whole different world. It feels and looks like a much bigger machine, while still having cheap parts and upgrades.
Rickenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Rickenbacker
Old Jul 31, 2005, 04:11 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
haven't flown one, but the reviews are so-so. I think initially they had a lot of quality issues out of the box, but they may be resolved now. The main issues is parts pricing...way more than trex parts and has a huge markup.

The only advantage the hummer has over the rex is that it's smaller so is cheaper to setup initially and can be flown in a smaller area. in all other aspects, the rex pretty much wins hands down.

The ARK is fairly new...not much info out there yet about it. Parts support will be an issue for a while too..until it becomes more popular.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Jul 31, 2005, 04:45 PM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
There are loads of heli's out there but this being a general board gets loads of threads for the most popular - corona, xrb, blade & t-rex. All the others get drowned out. So not necessarily a bad choice...just not the most popular.
But yeah the T-rex is a whole different level to a CP Hummer. T-Rex is a like a shrunk full size machine while Hummer is most definitely a micro heli - more comparable to a Blade in size and build.
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Old Jul 31, 2005, 05:05 PM
Usually underground in Virginia
Joined Oct 2004
395 Posts
I don't think you'll go wrong the the Hummingbird...as long as you take your time learning to fly it.

Also new to RC Heli's, I bought a Blade CP and have taken my sweet time with it...probably too much time if you listen to others.

Going on two months with it, I'm just now getting it to hover...albeit a sloppy hover. I can get it in the air a few feet, but have a REALLY hard time staying in one place. I'm planning on messing with the gain a bit to tone things down and will see where that leads me.

According to a friend of mine, one advantage I have is knowing how actual helicopters work (I'm former Special Ops in the military and spent a ton of time around heli's). That experience helped me to understand what a heli is doing and what it wants to do.

If you have NO experience with actual heli's, take a few moments to read up on them. Understanding the physics of heli's will greatly help learning to fly yours.

Stick with it and things will eventually become easier.
VACaver is offline Find More Posts by VACaver
Old Jul 31, 2005, 09:35 PM
N. Carolina
Joined Jul 2005
18 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit of a tech head. So while I've never really been around helicopters. I do understand the theroies behind how and why they work. I hope it does help. Plus I'm just hard headed enough to stick with it.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:10 PM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp
Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit of a tech head. So while I've never really been around helicopters. I do understand the theroies behind how and why they work. I hope it does help. Plus I'm just hard headed enough to stick with it.
You sound perfectly qualified

First time you wreck one it looks horrific... and then you get back home and strip it down and realise it's not so bad.

Nice thing about the Trex is that you also realise that it's not so $$$
ukgroucho is offline Find More Posts by ukgroucho
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:23 PM
N. Carolina
Joined Jul 2005
18 Posts
I'll give the Hummer CP a try. If it don't work out or even if does. I will probably be stepping up to the TREX or 400X. I think a little larger helicopter would be more stable. But if I can get the hang of the Hummer CP then I will be ahead of the game. In theory anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:30 PM
Really Cool User
Tampa St Pete, Florida, United States
Joined Dec 2003
1,870 Posts
A friend of mine had HB's CP and Fp and got so frustrated with the CP he sold it and had more fun with the FP after the cp experience He now is getting a t-rex after seeing what mine could do. The new t-rex kits really are great and fly like the bigger helis
Silverstreak328 is offline Find More Posts by Silverstreak328
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:48 PM
N. Carolina
Joined Jul 2005
18 Posts
What brushless system are you running? And Li-po? I have a lot to learn on the battery side.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:14 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
I have had a bunch of FP micros, currently have a V3 Hummingbird FP, Shogun and ECO-8. I had a CP Hummingbird but sold it as it was just too twitchy for me, the Shogun is about a billion times more stable, never flown a Trex but since it's a little bigger than the Shogun I imagine its a bit more stable too. I personally think you would be better off shelving the CP until you get something a little easier to fly and setup.
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:20 PM
N. Carolina
Joined Jul 2005
18 Posts
I could always get a FP kit. But the guys I talked to steered me in the direction of a CP set up. Maybe I just choose the wrong one. It'll be here this week we'll give it a shot and go from there. It's nice to find a site where people try to help. The RC car site that I live on is like this. But we are all local guys and know each other in person too. Thanks and keep the advise coming.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:30 PM
Joined Mar 2005
235 Posts
I have a mess of fp's and a TREX that I love. I spend more money fixing my micros than I do the Trex! The Trex is worth all the hype!!! I didnt realize it till I got one!!! I havent found anything better for its size,part availability,and part price!!! Plus it flies awesome stock,and plenty of room for upgrades!!!
predman is offline Find More Posts by predman
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:56 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,347 Posts
I raced RC cars for over 10 years back in 1986, and then switched to RC planes and helis. Learning process was painful because there were no flight simulators back then.

My recommendation: Get a simulator. It will help you with learning the hover.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Aug 01, 2005, 04:32 AM
Smoke me a Kipper
UK, Beds
Joined Jan 2003
372 Posts
Ditto a Sim when used correctly really does sharpen up your skills.

Personally i think the Trex thing is mostly Hype from people who want a nice stable Beginners heli, comparing a Trex to my Hornet 2 the rex is larger and more ungainly lacking the agility to be classed as a true 3d machine it is however considerable more stable and thus better suited to learning on IMHO. Sure the Trex is cheaper than my H2 but then a Ford Focus is cheaper than a Ferrari....
sao_bilious is offline Find More Posts by sao_bilious