HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:50 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
blurry pictures with Aiptek SD 1.3

I modified my Aiptek SD camera last night with the CamMan PIC, everything works correctly from a functional standpoint. However, all the pictures I'm taking are coming out blurred. I've tried cleaning the lens with no improvement. I didn't move the focus ring on the camera while it was apart (to the best of my knowledge. ) Any thoughts?
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:27 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Is it possible that anything shifted? If the photo-recieving electronics behind the lens moved at all, that would do it. Have you tried refocusing it?

Sorry I can't offer more help.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:36 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
I pulled the front cover back off - the lens moves REALLY easily. I didn't realize how easily when I had it disassembled before. I'd say odds are pretty good it shifted on me. Now the question is, how do I refocus it - it's a screw-in lens, I assume I'll just have to move it a bit at a time until I find the right place. I wish I'd marked it before.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
898 Posts
bsoder,

My Aiptek SD 2Mega focus was not set right from the factory. The procedure I used was:-

1) Place markes around the focus ring so that you can adjust it one 'notch' at a time.
2) Mount camera on a tripod or firm object.
3) If possible arrange to trigger shutter electronically.
4) Point camera at distant object
5) Set focus ring for close-up
6) Fire shutter
7) Move focus ring one 'notch' towards infinity setting
8) Goto 6) unless focus ring is at infinity position.
9) Download pictures onto computer and find sharpest. The sharpest one 'should' have the largest file size. If none are sharp then open camera adjust lens without moving focus ring and try again.
10) Move focus ring to position of sharpest photo
11) Open camera (DO NOT MOVE CAMERA LENS)
12) With front off move focus ring to infinity position.
13) Re-assemble camera
14) Enjoy re-focused camera.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Jul 31, 2005, 01:39 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
It was definitely out of focus, thanks for the help. Here's another pic I just took. This is with the motor running - is that what causes the sort of "twist" effect in this image? Look at the garage door lines.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:15 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoder
It was definitely out of focus, thanks for the help. Here's another pic I just took. This is with the motor running - is that what causes the sort of "twist" effect in this image? Look at the garage door lines.
Yes.
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:39 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,718 Posts
im sorry its a bit off topic and this thread is a bit old, but i thought i'd try to get some help here. im currently in the process of soldering my switch to my camera. I'm using an aiptek 1.3M SD. while in the process, i accidently pulled two wires and now dont know where they go so cant put them back. could somebody please look inside their aiptek and see where these go?
flyinazn10 is offline Find More Posts by flyinazn10
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:02 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
flyinazn10,

If memory serves...Red piezo lead to "T2", White piezo lead to "T1". The two pads are adjacent to the LCD display window, top left corner.

BTW, a single post is sufficient to ask your question.
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Aug 31, 2005, 05:12 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,718 Posts
hehe thanks moose, yea i wasnt sure where to ask so i thought i'd ask around.
flyinazn10 is offline Find More Posts by flyinazn10