HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2005, 08:43 PM
somewhere
Joined Aug 2004
25 Posts
Boeing 777-300 1/30 scale questions/ideas

hey,
im thinking about maybe building a 1/30 boeing 777-300 electric EDF. i already did some reasearch and got my specs for the plane, they go as the following:
wingspan-80.4"
lengh-97.2"
tailspan-28.3"
width of fuse.-9" maybe(something arouns there)
for powering this beast i was thinking maybe a pair of GW/EDF75X4A running seperate ESC's and batteries for both. for construction of the plane im thinking custom made fiberglass(too heavy?) fuse or a fuse made out of MDF(or whatever that blue foam is, FFF?) with balsa sheeted MDF wings(maybe FG too). if anyone has some ideas they would like to throw out please do so.

-shawn
............. is offline Find More Posts by .............
Last edited by .............; Jul 30, 2005 at 08:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2005, 01:31 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
My only obesrvation is that airliners are in fact underpowered gliders and therefore big and very light is the way to make them realistic.

I would be inclined to not use too much foam - hollow it out as much as possible, and then skin it with the lightest glass. And leave holes in the wings if you are balsa skinning.
If you can get it down to 3-4lb AUW it would be the right sort of weight..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 31, 2005, 04:31 PM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Agree completely about "big and light", they are aircraft with excellent lift/drag ratios and that makes them glider-like. But underpowered? The newer big twins, which can perform pretty handily at max gross with 50% of the power on strike. Back in the days of the Comet or early 707 there was a distinctly underpowered whiff about things but the 777-300 has about 200,000 lb thrust each, for an MTOW 580,000 lb. Not that underpowered! About the same thrust to weight ratio as a Buccaneer S2B, and not far off a Hunter. On a modern airliner it is quite rare for the crew to use full power for take-off, so the performance may seem less impressive from the cabin - but it's there if it's needed.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Jul 31, 2005, 05:32 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
yes but efflux velocity on turbofans is not so high, so actual power to weight is less than say a hunter..its been the development of fans that gives them better low down punch but no greater top speed than the comet...

Vastly better fuel consumption though.

Anyway, we agree. Keep them light and stately. not fast and furious.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1