HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2002, 01:27 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Just flew my Twin Star. Way too windy for anything smaller.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:29 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,935 Posts
Today was my youngest daughter's First Communion, so between preparing the house for guests, the actual event and the small gathering afterward I didn't get to take much advantage of what was a glorious day for flying in the Seattle area.

I did manage to get out with the Switchback in the last hour before dusk and put two battery charges through it. I was flying off a rough but short grass field and on the second battery got foolhardy with the retracts and started shooting touch and goes off of that less-than-ideal surface. In the end I finally managed to break one of the GWS retracts by coming down hard on one wheel first with a bit of slip component on that rough surface. It was a bad approach and I should've gone around .

I'll start another thread with some details.

Fortunately I have another pair on hand and only the gear itself failed (the trunnion pin pulled out of the body and the lower side brace link broke as the gear tore away). It's ready to go again now.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:51 AM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2002
167 Posts
I was fortunate enough to be able to take a break from racing (lunch break at the local R/C track) and take my Zero up for a couple rounds and once I was done with that and the wind was real calm I took the MS Hornet for a couple hops.Got it up real nice over top of the race track and landed it on the table top then tried to go around again and 3D'd myself into a shrub.Tail boom strike....oh well it is fixed now.
Inferno is offline Find More Posts by Inferno
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:55 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,864 Posts
Here in Sydney I flew the Terry and Pico Combat Jet (with Phasor 15/3). One bad landing (yet again). Never seem to learn about stalling on approachs.

Manage to get out most mornings before breakfast but with winter coming will lose the sun soon.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Apr 29, 2002, 06:57 AM
Brighton Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2001
625 Posts
You guys make me envious
You need a full diving suit, helmet, airline, lead boots, thermal underwear and all just to go outside.
Oh well better weather's coming (maybe)
Dave Lindsey is offline Find More Posts by Dave Lindsey
Old Apr 29, 2002, 08:14 AM
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Boomer,

Sounds a lot like my last friday. Had to give a talk on flying at my daughter's school career day in the morning. Headed out to work and noticed that the flags were hanging limp (very rare). Checked my e-mail and got the heck out of the office. At least I am fortunate in that I can do that now and then.

Flew two packs through my And_Now down at my local field and put them back on the charger. Headed out to the glow field about noon and flew the And_Now some more. Flew my buddy's Somethin' Extra and Top Cap until around 7pm, then home where I crammed in some food and got a nice 40 minute flight on my Gym-E (sitting in a lawn chair in my back yard) before it got too dark to see.

Saturday, it was 40mph winds, rain, cold. More typical weather for Bloomington (hell's cornfield)

Next project(s): Vertical RC Katana and a SIG Somethin' Extra (glow)

Karl
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
Old Apr 29, 2002, 08:36 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I was able to get my Twin Jet in the air for a flawless flight after a big crash a month ago. I also flew my Switchback, Urban Flyer, and Zagi.

Great to fly again as it was blowin' like a Son of a Gun for the last 3 weeks

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Apr 29, 2002, 09:35 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Boomer-
Thanks for the comparison! I'm looking forward to playing around with a slower wing, I've been flying a 600 Razor and it just takes so much area to fly the thing around. I'm getting tired of piling it in and having to walk 1/4 mile to get it
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Apr 29, 2002, 09:56 AM
Everett, WA
Joined Jan 2002
70 Posts
I flew my tigermoth and MiniMax on Saturday. The wind was a little strong for those light things. The Minimax had a tougher time with the wind than the tigermoth. Both planes really climb when you head straight into the wind.

I have a simprop Albatros almost reasy to fly. I might be able to get it up in the air this week if the weather holds out and the wind calms down.
maxnew is offline Find More Posts by maxnew
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:12 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Finally got a decent day on Saturday, put up the AirCore Colt(.46),The Model Tech Sukhoi (.51), the Ultimate Bipe (.20), the Sporty, the P40, the Acro Bipe and the Elipstik. Only crashed the P40 (keeps snapping out of loops). I'm pooped, good pooped but still pooped.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:05 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Flew my eyefoh and test glided this new addition to the fleet.

Hi Boomer finally a good day of less wind.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Last edited by Looooeeee!; Feb 26, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:10 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Loooeee,
How did she glide?? Lookin good.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:21 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Thank you Boomer

Yes the scratch built SE5 is going to work. The mandatory tall field of grass was handy and the glides are stable, but sort of slow. But there is a good amount of float in those two wing so I think the sp280 gear drive on 6 AAA's will be a success.

It will come out at 8+ oz. with another coat of shellac and the battery, hatch and landing gear installed. I'm pretty pleased 'cept for the wrinkles in the silkspan..

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:34 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,637 Posts
I put the 200th flight on my TM over the weekend. Because daylight savings is back, I'm now evenly split between night flights and day flights (102 each).

After running through the gamut of mods, I finally decided to paint it up nice, throw a 280 on it, and just enjoy it until the wings fall off (or my neighbor hits one too many rooftops with it.)

I'm waiting for the power upgrade for my Wattage Sporty and next week I'll have my kids converted Wall-mart glider ready. If this weekend brings good weather, I'll have two new planes to test fly and a beefed-up sporty to tool around with.

D
Darren Hintze is online now Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Apr 29, 2002, 02:35 PM
Mineral Wells TX
Joined Jan 2001
65 Posts
Flying was awesome here in North Texas on Sunday! Wind was about 0 to 5 mph most of the day! I flew my new Simple 400, MS Hornet micro heli, speed 300 powered IFO, and my Morris the Knife. Had a great day!

Mike
BigBadWolf_TX is offline Find More Posts by BigBadWolf_TX