SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jul 30, 2005, 02:18 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Wear glasses when you hover close-in

Why? Because you might shed a blade on your prop. I've never had it happen before, but this morning I did. I'm not going to mention the manufacturer's name, because it's not their fault. I had a prop strike against a tree branch earlier, and I'm sure that cracked the prop. Well, it lasted another 4 or 5 minutes of goofing around, then THIS happened. You can see part of the prop fly past me. This was an 11" prop on a low Kv motor spinning slowly. Anyway, it's sunglasses for me from now on.

EDIT - I'm going to make sure wife/camera operator does too.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2005, 02:22 PM
Karim:Student/Model Flyer
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Nasr City
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
more like replace your damaged props ALWAYS ...( i never do )lol
Flying Scotsman is offline Find More Posts by Flying Scotsman
Old Jul 30, 2005, 02:24 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
lucky u. That's why you never used a cracked prop. Glad you learned your lesson the easy way and still have your sight.
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Jul 30, 2005, 02:27 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Yeah, I have always worn glasses when flying close-in, but I figured I was being over-cautious. Now I know I was being properly cautious. The point I'm taking away from this is to insist that everyone in the area do the same.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 30, 2005, 02:55 PM
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,523 Posts
What about heli's?
Ever seen a heli throw a blade?
I lost a tail blade in hover! One blade went right by me and then other launched across the field.
Rickc
RickC2009 is offline Find More Posts by RickC2009
Old Jul 30, 2005, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Yeah, flying my heli spooks me for this reason. Glasses are also a good idea with those, methinks.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 30, 2005, 03:21 PM
Pro Bro #1521
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Sep 2004
44 Posts
What kind of glasses do you wear? I wear Zurich Z2s. A little "old guy", but they work well--plus, you can't beat telling people your glasses are bulletproof.
Stampede720 is offline Find More Posts by Stampede720
Old Jul 30, 2005, 03:26 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
I have polycarb glasses of somekind...they're real cool looking and supposedly very tough.
My wife got them for me, so I wear them when she is watching.

When she's not around, I have some of those "old-guy" glasses, too. Comfortable and good optics.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by blucor basher; Jul 30, 2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 03:36 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Glad you didnt get injured or whatever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC2009
What about heli's?
No, but they do. Especially tail blades.

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Jul 30, 2005, 06:21 PM
Just fly,its just money.
Joined Oct 2004
1,438 Posts
Blucor,
Good point on bringing this up. On the 4th I crashed my mini e3d into me. I was hoving close and did some inverted stuff and the wind caught it. Anyway. i was wearing classes then. A pair of oakleys. They were knocked off my and into the motor when it hit me and the prop must have got them. I jsut have a small scar now on my leg where i got hit. But this is always a good thing to do. Always have and always will wear glasses. i was testing a motor and I turned the motor to full throttle and the prop and prop shaft came spinning off. Came right past me. I had my oakleys on so if it would have hit me I would have some protection. ALways wear some when you are working or flying a plane. Thanks for this little post basher.

f2k
fish2keel is offline Find More Posts by fish2keel
Old Jul 30, 2005, 06:30 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
I wear glasses for even a great safety reason..... Without them I can't see the plane!
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Jul 30, 2005, 06:33 PM
Accomplished RCNewb
Provo, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
788 Posts
ya, i've been wearing glasses just to protect my eyes from the sun ( i don't 3d)
And all i can say is it is a LOT more of an enjoyable experience when you can fly during the afternoon and not look straight up into the sun and lose your plane (or crash it bad and break your new brushless motor and new CC ESC as i did...) So i guess they serve a triple duty:
1. protection
2. ease of sight
3. looks
cheers
fflyer
freedomflyer is offline Find More Posts by freedomflyer
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:16 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
bb

Sounds like it launched the prop pretty good. What plane is that? Prob. a good idea to wear the glasses in case the prop gets into you while still attached to the plane especially when you're grabbing the plane from the air!
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:05 PM
Joined Sep 2003
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC2009
What about heli's?
I lost a tail blade in hover! One blade went right by me and then other launched across the field.
Rickc
exact same thing happened to me but with my raptor 30 at 2000 rpm head speed ... it clipped my ear on the way up... it was a cool cut to shop ppl. mom flipped out!
Teen Misfit is offline Find More Posts by Teen Misfit
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:09 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Davidsons - yeah, and it's a pretty low power setup, too! That plane is one of the 40" flat foamies we're selling, that kind of plane invites you to hover close-in.
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread