HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2009, 05:49 AM
Joined May 2007
35 Posts
my heli

Its strange, precision helis post inspired me to fly the heli again and post about the mods I have made!

Well after 3 years heres what I have had to do to get the heli robust and reliable. I am actually an electronic engineer by trade so my personality helps with these things although ive never once studied areodynamics or mechanics.

Ive also never owned a heli so this is the only heli I have learnt with (appart from a sim)

Heres a list of my changes

Buy the hardened blades so they DONT SNAP
Changed the tail rotor blade guard for wire so it DOESNT SNAP
Spend a long time making that carbon fibre landing gear so they DONT SNAP
Put an extra tube around the swashplate assembly to provide stability
Changed the battery velcro for a strong rubber band
Angled the tail motor for increased stability
but a carbon fibre rod between the flybar paddles so they DONT SNAP
Used string to strengthen joints such as landing gear attatchment
changed the connector for some that I had lying around so I can buy more cells
use 200mAh

With this, lots and lots and lots of patients and money on replacement parts (before I figured out I had to start hardening things) I now get a good, crashable, reliable flight!

It probably isnt quite as bad as it sounds as I still cant fly well as I see myself as a beginner and really still into my rc cars but all the same it would have been nice if some of these parts wore more robust for the customer...

Also special thanks to spookycopters page, maybe precision heli can link to this as its bee an absoutly great help!
osgood232 is offline Find More Posts by osgood232
Last edited by osgood232; May 24, 2009 at 06:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2009, 06:01 AM
Joined May 2007
35 Posts
my heli

opps, didnt mean to post twice...
osgood232 is offline Find More Posts by osgood232
Last edited by osgood232; May 24, 2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:10 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1053615
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jun 02, 2009, 12:17 PM
www.precisionheli.com
Joined Jun 2007
26 Posts
Thanks for your post please let me know I can help you in anyway.
Sounds like you have a very old model, because most of the areas you have been talking about have been hardened, thickened or completely replaced to increase strength and reliability.
If you are still a beginner try out new weighted cradle this makes a world of differance.

Thanks
www.precisionheli.com
Precision Heli is offline Find More Posts by Precision Heli
Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:15 PM
Joined Mar 2007
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Heli
Since we have taken over the company we have gone to great efforts to figure out this problem that comes and goes. With plenty of testing we have confirm this is caused by warped blades or out of balance rotor blades. Since this helicopter is so small any slight warp or balance problem shows so we came up with a new teeter type flybar that solves even the most warped blades guaranteed. The part number is M080

Thank you,
www.precisionheli.com
Hi,
is there a picture? I did not see any on your page!

...my way to stabilize the baby was to reduce the lift of the blades (by precisely cutting the down edges). Then I could fly with more head speed and it made the V2 almost flyable. But still it bounces around pretty much. I would like to see the new Stabilized Cradle to understand what you mean...

also: do you have ratio recommendations for the motor/main gear?
I could imaging that for different weight levels there should be some recommended setting in order not to overstress the motor
Rello is offline Find More Posts by Rello
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:19 PM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
I have a v2.5 and I'm having problems keeping the swash plate from riding up and down on the shaft, any ideas?
zaksdad is offline Find More Posts by zaksdad
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:09 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
How does this heli compare to the 4#3q?
lazer155 is offline Find More Posts by lazer155
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:51 PM
www.precisionheli.com
Joined Jun 2007
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksdad
I have a v2.5 and I'm having problems keeping the swash plate from riding up and down on the shaft, any ideas?
You can put two small o-rings above the swashplate to hold it down, but if everything is level you should not need this. Work from the tp of the head down to the servos making sure everything is nice and level horizontally.

Thank you
www.precisionheli.com
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:53 PM
www.precisionheli.com
Joined Jun 2007
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rello
Hi,
is there a picture? I did not see any on your page!

...my way to stabilize the baby was to reduce the lift of the blades (by precisely cutting the down edges). Then I could fly with more head speed and it made the V2 almost flyable. But still it bounces around pretty much. I would like to see the new Stabilized Cradle to understand what you mean...

also: do you have ratio recommendations for the motor/main gear?
I could imaging that for different weight levels there should be some recommended setting in order not to overstress the motor
There is no picture of the part as of yet I should have something up soon. Cutting the blades is not going to solve your problem you need the new cradle.
Use the 108 tooth and 10 tooth this is the best overall.

Thank you,
www.precisionheli.com
Old Sep 01, 2009, 02:26 PM
Joined Mar 2007
125 Posts
Hi,

I ordered the new cradles - and wouldn´t have done if I would have seen the pics. You added quite a lot of additional weight on 2 more "paddels".
this amount of weight will for sure avoid the wobbling - but it it will make the heli so much more slow in the air...

Cutting the blades or using the 4#3 ones is the best suggestion yet in my opinion. combined with a brushless the much higher headspeed is the only way to get the baby really smooth flying in my opinion (after trying for 3 years now)...

This tread has all the details...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post12666395
Rello is offline Find More Posts by Rello
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:39 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
976 Posts
Is Precision Heli gone now? Any source for parts for these?
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:07 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag1260 View Post
Is Precision Heli gone now? Any source for parts for these?
I hope so!! Biggest waste of money I've ever had.... I've been flying helis for 20 years and yet I couldn't get this to fly for more then 20 seconds!!

I've still got my heli with a load of spares that I would gladly part with for a small some of$$ if your interested? You may have better luck with it then me!!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:28 AM
Nothing flies like a Pitts
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Aug 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
I hope so!! Biggest waste of money I've ever had.... I've been flying helis for 20 years and yet I couldn't get this to fly for more then 20 seconds!!

I've still got my heli with a load of spares that I would gladly part with for a small some of$$ if your interested? You may have better luck with it then me!!
i probably spent more on my Micron than my Trex-250 and 4g3 together...
Meshuggah is offline Find More Posts by Meshuggah