SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 01, 2005, 09:36 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
it also looks to end up being pricey after all the equipment is there. just the empty kit is 199, then the mixer is 85, the servos are 59 each so thats another 120 so thats 405 so far and it still doesn't have a gyro in that quote. i would still get one if i could scrape up the funds. oarg i would need a tx & rx too so thats another 200 605!! on second thought..... i'll have to wait for prices to drop.
Helis of all sizes fly on money. I've seen one small indoor chopper that flew well enough to get my attention. I asked the pilot about it.. He said "It started out as a Hummingbird" and proceeded to list all the modifications and replacement parts. He guessed he had about $600 or $700 in it, but he dosen't like to think about that. It did fly nice though
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2005, 05:28 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
yeah i had one back when they were the smallest commercially available helis but i got into it for cheap. only about $245. so in my eyes this one is WAY more expensive. but i have been known to spend about $520 on a handheld gaming system (PSP) so its not inconcievable.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Aug 15, 2005, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2004
920 Posts
well pricey it is...

as with all good hobbies... but heck if you bought a hirobo XRB that probably flies less capably than this tiny little bird (jury of course will be out on that for awhile) and is bigger to boot...

$300 for a RTF XRB skyrobo....

$500 for a COMPLETE RTF Micron kit... yep my order is in... rediculous i know... but just had to have... cannot stomach the idea of flying my hirobo sky robo all winter long again...

trexy just too big to fly in small indoors..... this thing look teeny tiny... looks to hover quite well in the video... now if it can just find altitude easily, fly fwd/bwd/left/right as well as it looks like it should.... we'll be all set...

and of course if the motors don't overheat rediculously like the sky robos do... by end of flight on sky robo she's got nothing and the motors are burnin' up.... and thats with mini-heatsinks on coreless motors. this thing is tinier and lighter... hopefully it does MUCH better, or else i will just have wasted a TON of money... oh well.. par for the course with most micros... trexy is the only micro bird of value that i've bought.. and still i've spent GOBS of money on that thing chaning it around and making it better as well..........
WRXronald is offline Find More Posts by WRXronald
Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:16 PM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
i hope it works out for you- i think it would be too brittle for me, a begginer-intermediate pilot(not breaking many blades on my wired xrb). i think if it fell from more than 3 feet, it would require a $50 order. on the other hand, maybe it is so light that it doesnt break too easy- the weight is similiar to a bladerunner.

it will be intresting to see how it preforms.

beano
beanoman is offline Find More Posts by beanoman
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:16 AM
Joined Dec 2004
920 Posts
yes for sure....

yeah you would expect good damage on short fall, but it claims incredible strenght.... that will remain to be seen..... i've looked at spares prices and don't appear to terribly expensive all things considered.......

my expectation of damage in crash would be due mostly to the claimed 'high' headspeed shown in the video... to maintain stability supposedly. higher headspeeds don't mate well with crashes... just depends...

hopefully its under enough control during flight to avoid crashes.... i can fly an XRB with 1.8 hands tied behind my back... those things pretty much fly themselves.... that's why i don't like them anymore... great 'getting started' tool.... but once you become fairly profecceint flyer of a larger machine like a trex and so on/so forth.... the XRB is just detrimental to your practicing skills... hopefully flying this in winters retains a bit more of the 'true' heli feel.

this may be a asking a bit much... but i hope it flys decently backwards... i want to do quite a bit of backwards practice with it if it can hold a decent tail lock....................

we'll see............................................... ..............
Old Aug 16, 2005, 05:03 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
I have been looking at this one too. I'm hoping the HH gyro causes it to be easier to fly than most of the run of the mill micros. I have a XRB as well and I still want something smaller and more conventional. Maybe the "special controller" will be a high freq ESC for the motors, resulting in longer motor life. Also, maybe the motors are cheaper than the XRB $40+ motors..(two!) I'm waiting for the review that Fred Bronk is doing in the microheli forum , in the near future...
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:22 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Last edited by Hoverup; Oct 24, 2005 at 11:53 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 02:16 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Can't wait Boyd. Rita stay away! Boyd has work to do!
Old Sep 20, 2005, 02:43 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
We don't want it to go to Galveston or Houston either.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 03:34 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
looks like we dodged the bullet up here in the Woodlands, Got all the mess in the yard cleaned up this morning and was actually able to get gas today....

BTW, did you get the Micron yet? The video looked real good with the hover, I want to know how will FF be with it. That will be the deal maker/breaker for me as I already have a XRB that I'm getting bored with...
Old Sep 25, 2005, 04:36 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Last edited by Hoverup; Oct 24, 2005 at 11:53 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 05:04 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Cant wait to see a pic of it naked The video was very impressive!
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:29 AM
Joined Jan 2005
74 Posts
It's all a matter of time before clones hit the market for more reasonable prices.
jevries is offline Find More Posts by jevries
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:00 PM
Joined Dec 2004
920 Posts
well...

i've already paid the big money, hopes that you get what you pay for in this area....

although, if heli history has anything to say about it.... you do, kind of...

yes a trex is overall inexpensive... but its not a 'cheapo' heli like a 'dragonfly' cheapo imitation..... so buying a trex you DO get what you pay for....

just like the hirobo xrb lama.... i first tried a counter-rotating 'dragonfly' that looked very similar (copycat) of the XRB.... JUNK JUNK JUNK!!!!

then got the XRB... worlds better! it was the real deal for what it was intended to be.

so i imagine those cheapo artists trying to imitate the Micron will fail quite miserbaly in terms of comparison to the micron, at least at first. (of course provided the micron flys as well as it appears it may and is claimed it will).
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:29 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Last edited by Hoverup; Oct 24, 2005 at 11:54 PM.