Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:13 PM
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
switched it back to the T plug being in the third socket and the motors now arm and rotate. but as before left/right = main rotor, up/down=rudder

On my skysport the reverser switches are marked left to right.
AIL, ELE, THR, RUD

Should these be configured in any particular way?
woodshed is offline Find More Posts by woodshed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:25 PM
Spain
Joined Jun 2004
301 Posts
Ok, then. I donīt know exactly in your tx, but in most, the throttle channel has to be reversed, and the other 3 Normal. Could be the opposite, but I am almost certain Throttle (number 3) needs to have a different position than the other 3.
1- disconnect the servos, we donīt need them now, and weīll avoid damaging one.
2- Tail in channel 4, throttle in no. 3.
3- throttle stick top down, connect radio and battery
4- Donīt move the heli

The led normally should have this sequence: flashing red, flashing green, and after some seconds, steady green. Wait, give him time before moving sticks

If this is not like that, disconnect battery then radio, reverse switches in the opposite position (if throttle was NOR, reverse it, and the other 3 nor)
-Try again the above procedure.
Any change in lights?
Also, in both cases, try putting down the throttle trim to see if this helps.
Spooky H is offline Find More Posts by Spooky H
Old Jun 15, 2006, 05:09 PM
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
last post today.

If I put the plut marked T in the top socket - the light stays solid red and never changes, regardless of what corner I push and hold the stick in, or how I have the reverser switches set.

I beginning to wonder if the T on mine means Throttle rather than Tail?

If I put the T plug in the third socket up, holding stick in bottom right arms it ok. apart from the the fact left/right control thrust and up/down controls rudder. If I reverse the Thr switch on the TX, the axis controls remain the same but switched ie down is max rudder - up is no rudder.

cheers

Chris
Old Jun 15, 2006, 05:36 PM
Spain
Joined Jun 2004
301 Posts
Hi, the worst part is that the same problem happened before to someone, and we sorted it out but I would have to contact him, as I donīt remember very well what happenned.

Well, the fact that when you plug "t" in channel 3, the thing works, but the main motor is controlled by the rudder stick, I think that confirms that "T" is tail, so to find a solution first we need to have it on socket 4.

Then, is even reversing channels we cannot get a green light..

I would ask you to take out the soldering of the motors, ans only with the 3 in 1 connected to the rx (T in channel 4), observe the led sequence. If you can get a green steady light, by some combination of reverse switches 3 and 4, then may be the shorter cables should go to tail!

Remember, you can sometimes get the motors armed by putting rudder stick top left or right, but, before you should see I think the correct sequence, indicating rx is receiving power and 3 in 1 is communicating with the TX.
good luck...
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:01 PM
Spain
Joined Jun 2004
301 Posts
one more thought, (worked before) if when everything correctly switched you still have the red light, try a crazy one: disconnect all, and then connect First the heli and then the radio.
Last edited by Spooky H; Jun 15, 2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:03 AM
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
thanks - can't try now for a while as I'm at work

will try again this evening. Like I said before upto now with the T plug in socket 4 all I get is a sold red light, in all positions and all combinations of reverse switches and no motors move at all. Its possible I missed a combination so will work through systematically.

Worries me a bit with all this plugging and unplugging, as the wires, sockets and plugs all look a bit delicate and each time I pull them out (carefully using snipe nosed pliers) the deteriate a little more

Cheers
Chris
Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:01 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
I have to admit that I'm a little bit worried.. I'm still in the mechanical setup phase of this heli and all of this elec/balance/stability problems that i'm reading about seem kind of daunting..

I hope everything works out for the best but it looks as though i'm going to have to become a micro-heli expert before this thiing will fly. This heli is CERTAINLY not for anybody who doesn't want to lose a couple years off their life expectancey due to stress and frustration =]
arclite5 is offline Find More Posts by arclite5
Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:13 AM
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
This is the reply I just got from PrecisionHelis (short to the point of being vague once again)...no mention of what the lights should be doing at any point...

You have to put the one marked T in the 4 channel. If you are not getting it to arm this way you need the reverse channel 3 and make sure the throttle trim is down. If your radio is computerized please make sure you have no throttle curves built in and its in Aircraft mode.

Can't test this til I get home...
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:39 PM
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
I take it back looks like their advice was sound. The key thing was to have the throttle trim turned right back - this made the lights behave differently and let me arm it no problem. The sticks are now behaving as expected. Whoooo!

Now the hard part - what do i do next? I can't get it past the spinning around on the floor stage. All trims are centered apart from the throttle which is right down. As I power up the main rotors the rudder motor kicks in and the heli starts to rotate counter clockwise, if I move the trim to the right it rotates faster if i move it to the left its slower, but even at full left it still rotates CCW.

Impatient as I am, I gave it a bit more throttle and just as the landing gear light slightly the whole thing tips over to the side - in the direction of the rotation.

So, tips on this stage now please

Chris
Old Jun 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
That type of problem, on my bigger heli, is usually attributed to the gyro being reversed.. I'm just taking a wild guess here, but make sure that your tail motor is spinning in the right direction -- you may have soldered the wires on wrong causing the motor to spin in reverse?? If it's not that, then your gyro is reversed and maybe spooky has more experience in that area.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 04:39 AM
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
thanks but I haven't soldered any of it - got it direct from PRecisionHelis, "ready-to-fly" supposedly...
Old Jun 17, 2006, 08:51 AM
Joined May 2006
275 Posts
woodshed - how "ready-to-fly" was it? Where the electronics installed?
Bugg is offline Find More Posts by Bugg
Old Jun 17, 2006, 09:29 AM
Joined Jun 2006
13 Posts
All I had to do was charge the battery and install the RX crystal.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:02 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
I don't suppose that PrecisionHeli flight tested before they sent it to you? Have you asked them that?

I'm sure that the man who built and designed this model would get the polarity of the motor right.. But I mean everyone can make mistakes.. And if he didnt flight test it, he would never know..

If you've got a tail spin going on, and from how you describe it that's exactly what it is, it can only be one of two things. Your tail motor is spinning the wrong way, which we've pointed out seems quite unlikely -- or the gyro is compensating the wrong way. I'm not at the point of fiddling with the 3-in-1 on my micron yet, but I'm willing to bet that all you have to do is rotate the 3-in-1 around 180 degrees, or flip it over. One of those 2 should get it to "reverse" direction. Try that?
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:14 AM
Spain
Joined Jun 2004
301 Posts
Hi everybody!
Woodshed, funny that at the end was the trim to be put down what armed the esc! I told you, didnīt I

Second part: when you hold rudder stick to left the tail motor spins? then just reverse channel 4 in your transmitter.
If this is not correcting the problem, check polarity of tail motor cables: black wire goes to tha pole marked in the motor with a white dot.

Just another brief note: in the Micron, and many other microhelis, the gyro will not be working until the throttle stick is at mid point or near... so if the heli yaws to one side before taking off, you will have to use the rudder stick to correct it.
Once you are flying, then you can decide if you need to trim the rudder - maybe in the ground the nose tends to left and in the air to right.
Last edited by Spooky H; Jun 17, 2006 at 10:20 AM.