HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2005, 05:34 PM
Niteroi - Brasil
Joined Jul 2005
26 Posts
My Stinson Reliant SR-7 building

Finally after some research I found a plan for my Reliant I used a plan for ff from a 1937 Air Trails Magazine found at www.theplanpage.com. As the original plan was for a 21" model, I doubled it and printed in A4 sheets using Tile Print. As seen in the photos I did some slight modifications in the plan (seen in red) like adding flaps and cowl construction.
I dont like the rounded windshield version, but I used this plas beacuse it looks more realistic (I mean airfoil thickness), and have a scale outline for horizontal tail surface, wich Im using in construction.
Rembold is offline Find More Posts by Rembold
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:12 PM
Canoga Park, California, United States
Joined Oct 2003
130 Posts
beautiful cowl!
evan_s is offline Find More Posts by evan_s
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:52 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,238 Posts
That's a lovely adaptation of the original plans.

You've done this before... I can tell....
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jul 29, 2005, 09:09 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,752 Posts
Me Too!

I have my ole Berkeley 42" w/s SR-9 converted to SR-8 configuration. It's been covered in Doculam, primed and ready for two-tone airbrushed orange and cream house paint for a couple of months. I finally bought an AXI 2212/20 to spin an 8x6 SF APC prop. Im using 8 KAN 1050 NiMh cells mounted to a ply ring around the AXI in front of the firewall to get the balance right. I used Dubro micro pull-pull set to avoid weight of pushrods to the rudder and elevator. I installed ailerons on one HS-55 servo using bell cranks made from servo wheels. I made the landing gear legs and pants removable/knock-off expecting the worst. I think you can find my old thread with pics somewhere around page 15 or use search. Good luck with your Reliant, looks great
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:16 AM
Niteroi - Brasil
Joined Jul 2005
26 Posts
Thanks Evan
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:19 AM
Niteroi - Brasil
Joined Jul 2005
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
That's a lovely adaptation of the original plans.

You've done this before... I can tell....
I will tell you the truth Matthews, its my first balsa scratch job, I did many foam ones , but I really love balsa!
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:41 AM
Niteroi - Brasil
Joined Jul 2005
26 Posts
Hey E-Challenged, GREAT! Yours has the same wingaspan of mine! I will surely search your thread and we can exchange some views. I will cover mine with colored adhesive tape, like the ones used in zagis, I found the oracover light too transparent and tape is cheaper.I will cut it, so overlaps will match the longerons and stringers. I will use a MP-Jet AC25/25-26 spinning a varioprop and 3S Lipo. Im surprised yours had tail weight problem, I think mine will have too much nose weight! I will use four gws pico servos (ailerons, elevator, rudder and flaps). I didnīt solve the landing gear issue yet, maybe you can help. Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:49 AM
Niteroi - Brasil
Joined Jul 2005
26 Posts
Her mighty powerplant I just got today! (sorry the bad photos!)
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:45 PM
Joined Oct 2000
11,752 Posts
Tape Covering?????

I can't imagine using tape for a scale model of that quality but you are right, most lightweight coverings are not opaque enough. That's why many of us are messing around with Doculam primed with white primer and airbrushed with acrylic enamel. The object is a scale opaque finish that is still light. I plan to paint mine basic red/orange with cream trim. I will paint the lightning bolt trim and other cream areas first, then mask the lightning bolts, then shoot the red/orange. ( red/oranger would bleed through the cream otherwise). The nose is short and the rear fuselage/tail feather structure is fairly heavy leading to tail heaviness. I wanted to use a 3S lipo pack but would have had to mount lipo pack protruding through the firewall next to the motor to achieve balance. Didn't want the delicate lipo packs smacking the ground in a hard landing.It would probably help to lengthen the nose a little to help achieve balance without lead and to be able to use Lipo packs. Of course you will want to mount all of the R/C gear etc as far forward as possible and keep the rear structure as light as possible. BTW I'm using streamlined aluminum K&S stock for the wing struts.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 06:28 AM
Niteroi - Brasil
Joined Jul 2005
26 Posts
Oh yes! believe, tape has a good shining appearence, wont rip as paper and as you said its very light. Best of all, itīs heat shrinkable like monokote! The problem is that, as its self adhesive it will stick to undesirable structure, like sheets under ribs. I will try solving this rubbing some oil on that surfaces.
About yours I prefer putting some weight and lipo than affecting scale appearance. Remember that lipo has a better current draw and linear voltage duration.

Thanks and good luck!
Old Aug 04, 2005, 06:26 PM
Niteroi - Brasil
Joined Jul 2005
26 Posts
Building progress, now wings and horizontal tail
Old Aug 05, 2005, 11:22 AM
Joined Oct 2000
11,752 Posts
Looks great. Stick with it. While cleaning a cookoo clock in my den/model work area I tripped and fell backward and sat down crushing the wing of my recently repaired glow .40 size Gee Bee Sportster Model E. Just missed the wing of my Stinson SR-8. Beware of clutter in the workplace.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:37 AM
Niteroi - Brasil
Joined Jul 2005
26 Posts
Finally the Stinson is finished. I flew her today. Very good flight characteristics, flew well a little flaped, but you have some trouble with full flaps. Power is a MpJet brushless, varioprop with 8,2"X ? scale blades, and an E-tec 1700mAh 2S. I found it a little underpowered, I will put a 3S. Fast flight with flaps up. Here are some photos:
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:18 AM
Electric Relaxation
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2004
2,481 Posts
Fantastic!!! You did a wonderful job on this plane. It makes me want to hurry up and try building from scratch.
GalantVR4 is offline Find More Posts by GalantVR4
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:26 AM
confused poet
USA, CA, Orange
Joined Feb 2004
1,048 Posts
yes a very pretty plane, I'd have never guessed one could make tape look like that.
Congratulations
Henry
HanksGB is online now Find More Posts by HanksGB