Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,835 Posts
My key to good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyrcer
How do you take good pictures?
I use the Acronym: F L A S H

Flight: Is the mission within your capability? (don't be too ambitious to start with) Are you going to annoy/endanger anyone? Plan your landing before you launch.

Light: Is the sun too bright fir your auto settings?
Is there haze to spoil the shot?
A gloomy day will produce a gloomy picture.

Aircraft: Are you really confident with the plane in these conditions? Have you flown with this payload before?

Sight: Think about the angle of shot you want to take, also the speed over ground is least upwind, so position the camera with this in mind. For first attempts, stand at the target and fly the aircraft to put yourself in the picture if possible. Dont try to bank the plane for the shot, just steady straight and level .

Height: V important, Too high = tiny subject (but more likely to capture it)
Too low = nice shot of blurred field next to target.

Practice, practice, practice...and remember your priority is to fly the plane.

Notice I left out camera in the above? For first attempts i dont think you need to dig deep (I used a disposable, one shot per flight to begin with)
Just remember when you do invest, that lens quality is as important as lots of pixies.

These are only my ideas, I am sure you other guys out there have sound advice I have missed.
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Jul 29, 2005, 05:12 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
For low altitude, I like morning or evening light for some shadow definition. For most shots however, the brightest light will give the fastest shutter speeds.

[forum secret]
Take LOTS and LOTS of pictures. Digital cameras and memory cards make this cheap.
[/forum secret]
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:50 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Everything Swanlander said plus:

Learn to use a good image editing program... turns what the camera sees into what you think the picture should look like...
Phil R is offline Find More Posts by Phil R
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:44 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,875 Posts
I have found it best to take the photos out the back of my SS. When I power down for gliding the nose goes down a bit and it is easier to get a level horizon. Also, by traveling away from your target, you are bound to get several pictures with each pass. I have tried photos out the side, but usually end up with tilted horizon and not really on the mark I was intending. It is much easier to fly away from the target to shot it than around it out the side.

Doing videos -- out the front of course. You can see some of my stuff at http://www.stickflyers.com
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Jul 30, 2005, 07:01 AM
Joined Apr 2005
106 Posts
light, light , light, light.......
copes is offline Find More Posts by copes