HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 28, 2005, 09:28 PM
SIU Aviation
Kyle G.'s Avatar
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
New fear/concern and first hand experience while charging batteries.

I had a scary incident the other day while charging one of my lipos. I had it on my Triton and everything was good. I take a clance at it. And its done charging. I unplug the triton from my car outlet but leave my battery plugged into the triton. I look down for some other reason and see a glowing orange. the banana jacks had come in contact. This was really low (high?) gauge. (really thin wire) going to my battery. So in panic and rush to unplug the battery from the charger and banana jacks. In the process, a sharp pain through my hand, along with the smell of burnt rubber. The wires became red hot because of the high resistence. My dad finnally, carefully got the plug undone not long later. The battery was fine. My hand on the other hand, burnt and a nice slice through my index finger. The Lesson? don't touch hot wires haha. But I never thought in my wildest dreams the wires would get so hot when it shorted out, so I just though I'd make it aware.

Solution to solve problem: I've put a 3 amp inline fuse between my battery and triton. Problem should be no more
Happy flying everyone.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2005, 09:33 PM
Always right
Hovertime's Avatar
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Ouch Kyle.....
Wires not just get hot, sometimes they even evaporate.
Good tip on the fuse BTW.
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:16 AM
Does anyone hear a cat?
headless's Avatar
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
Damn, that looks painful. I've gotten the same type of burns but not nearly as bad from a nimh pack that was plugged into an ESC that fried and turned into a dead short... always a danger when dealing with batteries...

If it was a lipoly pack, i'd be very careful with it for the next 10 cycles. Could be permanently damaged even if you don't see it puff immediately; at least check all the cell voltages and make sure it stays in balance.
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:22 AM
Noise......
Queen Creek AZ
Joined Jul 2004
259 Posts
Dead shorts are bad! When I first started flying I dead shorted a KAN 1050 pack. I went to cut the JST off to attach my deans, and was not aware of the fact that you can nearly vaporize a #11 X-acto blade

Can't even imagine dead shorting a 3 cell pack. Be careful. High voltages and amps can melt rings and cause loss of fingers. One of my dad's mechanics welded his wedding ring to the frame of a car.


Mike (the other one)
rilysi is offline Find More Posts by rilysi
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:57 AM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
I guess we all learn the hard way. I have always known not to wear jewelry while handling batteries however many years ago I forgot to remove my wedding band and while handling a NiCad pack shorted it out. Burnt the ring finger and the thumb and fore finger on the other hand trying to remove it.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:44 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2004
21 Posts
Yup. Those things get pretty hot very Fast and you can't tell how hot until your fingers come in contact with the shorted wires, up to that point it's, too, late. Had a TX pack shorted out, and it was just a 600mah 9.8v, was changing connectors to JST for ease of swapping. Somehow soldered to the radio in reverse, when I turned on the radio smoke started rising up from the back, quickly turned it off, disconnected the battery, but not until the poles of the battery has gone really really hot that it melted the heatshrink cover and burned a part of my forefinger. Re-learned a good lesson once again, in electronics, if something is smoking, chances are something that caused it to smoke has got to be really hot! So be careful out there. What was interesting about the pain was that it was a whole lot painful than getting burned by a lighter or match.

Oh the pain!
yesterday is offline Find More Posts by yesterday
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:45 PM
Oldie but goodie
Popsflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
I have found on several occasions that live (powered) exposed clips, wires, plugs, etc, have a natural instinct to come together and mate (ZAP!). Seems like no matter how far apart you place them, they have the ability to locate each other and make contact.

For this reason, I take extra precautions to keep this from happening.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 03:33 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
headless's Avatar
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
i just looked at that pic of the burns again. Freakin' owww man. Reminds me of the burns i got when i accidentally shorted the poles of my camry's battery with a set of allen keys. kabloowie!
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 04:23 PM
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
If you don't think a 200W power pack can make things hot, look at a 200W lightbulb..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 05:44 PM
SIU Aviation
Kyle G.'s Avatar
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
I really don't think it put a lot of stress on the battery. The battery wasn't not even warm after. I think all the resistence and burning of the wires might have saved the lipo. I still keep an eye on it, but have used it since with no problem. My hand didn't hurt too bad. But it stung sharply on the ride to the hospital. After that, no pain. No blood either on the index finger. I'm glad I didn't burn the car down too.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 05:47 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
headless's Avatar
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
Electrical burns cauterize instantly -- no blood. thankfully
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:40 PM
Registered User
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
973 Posts
Sorry to hear that Kyle. Be careful. Batteries can heat wires instantly if they short.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is offline Find More Posts by Tom Moody
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 07:26 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Matthew Allen's Avatar
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Yowch.

Where in your system do you have exposed plugs? - I'm not too clear from your explanation.

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 09:57 AM
SIU Aviation
Kyle G.'s Avatar
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
No exposed plugs, one of the banana plugs that go into the triton got pulled out from moving of the charger and battery. it just happened to touch the other banana plug and short out the deal.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:33 PM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
That looks painful Kyle- hope it heals quickly for you.

I did exactly the same thing years ago with a 4.8v receiver pack that I was fast charging. The HiTec charger that I was using has sprung terminals into which just a pair of bare wires are inserted. I had a harness forcharging consisting of a Futaba socket and two wires with bared ends. The receiver pack was charging and when Jingle Bells played out I went to remove the pack. The charger also has a charge tester and instead of unplugging the battery via the socket I just undid the spring terminals and the two bare wire ends touched and welded together. The insulation on the thin wires, which I was holding just vapourised and as much as I tried to throw the battery pack to the floor it was just stuck to my hand.

My fingers weren't quite as badly burned as yours look to be, but I had blisters in all the same places and the receiver pack was destroyed. That was the last time I ever just undid the spring clips.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion AM radio interference while charging batteries shizack Batteries and Chargers 4 Jul 30, 2007 04:54 PM
Discussion First experience with A123 batteries is VERY good! simo10 Batteries and Chargers 7 Oct 13, 2006 07:29 AM
Kokam LIPO 340's........ any first hand experience? Scott Clarke Batteries and Chargers 8 Jul 16, 2003 07:32 AM
charging batteries pval3 Parkflyers 3 Aug 02, 2001 11:24 AM
how much current while charging Transmitter Al P Power Systems 3 May 14, 2001 12:57 AM