HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2005, 08:02 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
How to reverse a servo?

Hi

I"m putting together a Bob-E-Cat EDF and for the flaps to work right, one of the flap servos needs to be reversed. Because there are two servos i cant just use the reverse on the TX. One of the guys at work says i can jsut switch 2 of the servo wires (like reversing a brushed motor). Can i do that??

Or do i have to shell out for a reverse module thingy?

Thanks

ash
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2005, 08:12 PM
Seaford, DE
Joined Jan 2002
793 Posts
You need to reverse the wires on the motor AND reverse the outer wires on the feedback potentiometer (pot). If you don't reverse the pot, it will go to the end of the travel and jam and smoke.

Dan
dgoslee is offline Find More Posts by dgoslee
Old Jul 27, 2005, 08:35 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
If the plane is already built, electronics installed and linkages hooked up. You can buy a servo reverser that plugs inline with that particular servo.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:22 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Ya everyhting is all hooked up.

I was jsut hoping i could do it without buying a reversing thing. Oh well, no biggie.

thanks

ash
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:04 PM
Yakkin' it up!
Kennett Square, PA
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
Hmm, I think you can do it to larger digital servos via a programmer, not sure though... I need to do the same for my funtana's elevator servos
emnm79 is offline Find More Posts by emnm79
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:47 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
ya you can, but i'm using an hs-85mg...not quite a programmable digi servo

ash
Old Jul 28, 2005, 07:17 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What kind of Tx do you have? Most 6-channel and up support two flap servos.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 28, 2005, 09:52 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Am i missing something? Now why do you need to reverse one of the servos? Possibly, there is physical limitation the way the plane is designed or built but....

With a Y adapter, two servos will work in unison if linkages are attached to the same side of the horn (both on the left side of the servo wheel, or both on the right), or opposite if linkages are attached to opposite sides of the servo wheel (typical aileron linkage for a single servo, or even two for that matter).

A computer radio should be able to handle two flap servos, either from built-in feature or by using a programmable mix.

If all the above fails, then you are left with the servo-reverser thingy option.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:03 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
I"m using an Eclipse 7.

The way the servos are laid out, both flap servos face inward and both ail servos face outward. So the servos work in opposite directions. And sicne i'm using a y-cable i cant just reverse the direction of the servo through the TX.

Ash
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:31 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
If you're using an Eclipse 7 and your receiver has enough channels, you can plug the servos into different channels and use one of the pre-set or custom mixes availible on the E-7. This will allow you individually program the normal direction the servo turns.

Otherwise break down and pay the $15 for a servo mixer.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:37 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87
I"m using an Eclipse 7.
The way the servos are laid out, both flap servos face inward and both ail servos face outward.
Ash
So you're using two flap servos and two aileron servos? Couldn't you just move the pushrod to the other side of one of the flap servo control arms, so that both flaps move in the same direction?

Sorry if I'm not understanding your setup correctly.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Jul 29, 2005, 02:27 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I use a Y-harness with a servo reverser built-in..
They are available.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 29, 2005, 03:00 PM
Joined Jul 2005
654 Posts
Just hook up the pushrod to the other side of the servo arm. One side moves one way, while the other side moves the other way. Regardless of the orientation of the servo itself, what side it's connected on will determine which way the pushrod moves.

Of course if there is some kind of physical limitation (i.e. - you can't attach the pushrod to the other side because something is in the way, or the pushrod cannot be routed to that side, etc.), then you'd have to find an alternative method.
markmm is offline Find More Posts by markmm
Old Jul 29, 2005, 03:07 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I asked which Tx as the best answer is to use dual flap servo programming, if your Tx supports it - which it appears it does. That way, you don't have to reverse anything, and you get independant sub-trims, which you do not have with a mixer/reverser/y-harness setup.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 29, 2005, 04:55 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
ok thanks for all of your input.

To answer one of the questions. It's got a sheeted wing, so i trimmed the servo arm so that one arm protrudes through the bottom of the wing.

I'll check the programming on the TX. Although i think the 2 flap servo option is only in glider mode. I guess if nothing else works, i can use the y adapter with the servo reverse. My only problem with that is the extension is LONG and my leads are already very long.

Thanks again

ash