SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:32 PM
Bought at a price.
Winfield, Kansas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
Hyperion Titan ESC's

Has anyone used these? I don't seem to find much of anything doing a search.

If you have used any of them in any amperage, I'd like to hear what you think.

I've been looking specifically at this 50A one & this other 50A one.

Thanks,
Brad
777 is offline Find More Posts by 777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2005, 01:36 PM
NZ / Wellington
Joined Jan 2004
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
Has anyone used these? I don't seem to find much of anything doing a search.

If you have used any of them in any amperage, I'd like to hear what you think.
Can't comment on the 50A and 80A variety but I own several 20A and 30A.

I have a rather strange rating system for my controllers;
1. Jitter free start-up
2. Handling of low kV outrunners
3. Handling of High kV outrunners at high RPM with high pole count
4. Ability to drive two matched B/L motors off one ESC

Points 3 and 4 usually sort the men from the boys; and so far I have found only 3 makes that meet all my requirements: Hacker (Jeti), CC and Hyperion.

As an aside I have yet to find a 'No-Name' Chinese BL controller that can meet high RPM with high pole count - this is one of the most important as the ones that don't go into 'meltdown'. Typically the software can't keep up with the induced EMF and the controller loses timing, motor goes static and current goes through the roof - sometimes with incendiary effects!

I haven't yet found any drawbacks with the Hyperion (I've tested *lots* of motors) and I rate it amongst the Hacker and CC controllers as tried and trusted. The low voltage cutoff has more voltage options than normal and you can program them from sticks, PC or Emeter.

What more can I say?

Rod
badcockr is offline Find More Posts by badcockr
Last edited by badcockr; Jul 26, 2005 at 01:39 PM. Reason: I cant spell - LOL!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:34 PM
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2005
203 Posts
I have Hyperion Titan ESC and agree with badcockr on his assessment. These are great ESC's and the fact that you can program these with the e-meter and transmitter is just awesome. Also, they have a good range of programming options i.e. lvc.

I have decided to completely swith over to Hyperion motors and ESC's. I have many reasons for this but I won't bore you with those.

Plasticman.
plasticman is offline Find More Posts by plasticman
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:20 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,641 Posts
Strictly personal opinion: I'd go with the Opto version, if for no other reason than this: Any plane big enough to require a 50 Amp ESC is better off with the added safety factor of a separate Rx/servo battery pack. The Titan seems to work well for me, I have the 50 Amp Opto driving a Hyperion Z3019 running off two Polyquest 3S 2600 packs in parallel, and not a single problem so far, even at 450 watts input during static tests.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:46 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
i have a few Hyperion esc's
the 2x50's and 80 that i have work very well But not near their rated voltage max.
One 50 is bec and is doing a great job in a heli using 10 cells drawing 35 amp peaks.
the 50 and 80 opto both get too hot using 16 cells (max rated ) with 30 amp peaks. on 14 cells both work well for me.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Jul 27, 2005, 02:34 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2002
172 Posts
I have a 50amp Hyperion controller and have not been happy with its performance.

The unit is in a 7-cell LMR electric glider pulling 46-45 amps for bursts between 8 and 12 seconds.

I had an issue where if the controller was turned on, allowed to sequence up, then turned off with the switch, the next time the controller was turned on the propeller gave a full rotation without any throttle input. Quite scary as it was unexpected. I emulated the problem several times.

If the controller was powered on via the battery connection, all appeared ok.
Nippon Dave advised that this was normal, it isn't, and to remove the switch.

Last week the controller appeared to have lost its low voltage setting as it was prematurely cutting out at 7 volts and I had to be reset the settings.

Swift
Swift is offline Find More Posts by Swift
Old Jul 27, 2005, 05:04 AM
Krasnodar, RUSSIA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
I have 10А, 20А, 50А ESCs.
50А ESC it is connected with AXI 2820/10. Any problems.
Probably Hyperion ESC give little bit smaller current, than СС with other things being equal.
ViktorF is offline Find More Posts by ViktorF
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:34 AM
Uh Oh Jungo
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
To BEC or not to BEC?

Hi,

This is going to be a little long winded. I'm also considering the Titan 50A ESC. Does anyone know whether the 50A BEC version can be used at a higher voltage if the BEC +ve wire is disconnected?

I would really like to just use 3S lipo and run the ESC at 40A to get 400W without the need for a separate BEC/rx pack. Thing is, I want to stay with a 10" prop which may not allow me to pull enough amps on the outrunner I'm considering. So if I get the BEC version will I be able to un-BEC it and run 4S lipo if I need more voltage?

Thanks.

Jeff
ParkJeff is online now Find More Posts by ParkJeff
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:21 PM
USA, OR, Chiloquin
Joined May 2005
80 Posts
I have a 50a controller and cant seem to program it with the Tx sticks with hitec optic 6. I turn on transmitter....throttle at full....esc switch off....plug in battery....wait 5 seconds. No tone?

The esc works fine and i get a tone when i turn on the esc switch (arming signal?) the throttle works and runs the motor fine. I just want to turn on the brake. Am i doing something wrong?

Bruce
Flyinb is offline Find More Posts by Flyinb
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:21 AM
Papa Alpha Uniform Lima
Ashburton, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2004
518 Posts
I have a 10 amp one. Works great-it runs my CD-ROM motors perfectly and is easy to program!
Paul
Zimbo is offline Find More Posts by Zimbo
Old Sep 17, 2005, 08:19 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinb
I have a 50a controller and cant seem to program it with the Tx sticks with hitec optic 6. I turn on transmitter....throttle at full....esc switch off....plug in battery....wait 5 seconds. No tone?

The esc works fine and i get a tone when i turn on the esc switch (arming signal?) the throttle works and runs the motor fine. I just want to turn on the brake. Am i doing something wrong?

Bruce
You need to switch the ESC on to start programming I think.

I'm using a Titan 50 Opto in my Eco 8 helicopter and it's working great. The soft-start is too rough to start the helicopter but other than that it's working great. the governor works well too. Programming can be a hassle becuase you have to disconnect and start all over again if you change a setting and want to make more changes, but it's easy to program once you figure out how it works.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Sep 17, 2005, 09:47 AM
USA, OR, Chiloquin
Joined May 2005
80 Posts
OK...The instructions dident say to turn on esc before plugging it in so thats probably what i am doing wrong. That crossed my mind last nite as well, will give it a try today.
Thanks,
Bruce
Flyinb is offline Find More Posts by Flyinb
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:05 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
My titan doesn't have a switch, but I need to turn on the SBEC to program the ESC.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 05:41 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
where do you guys go to get the best price on the hyperions?
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Sep 18, 2005, 06:59 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
I got mine from www.aircraft-world.com