HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:59 AM
NTSB most wanted
O-Town, FL
Joined Jun 2003
642 Posts
Yippee!
Congrats NASA on the Shuttle launch!!

Sorry to interrupt the normally scheduled programming here on the Club Talk thread but some of the posters here from the Central Florida area are employed by NASA at the Cape. Guys that usually post in the the threads from RCWorld, Moonport Modelers, and, of course, the Orlando Squad.

Anyway, congratulations guys for getting the worlds coolest RC Aircraft back into space!!!!

Godspeed Discovery!!!!!!!!

Eddy
EzEd is offline Find More Posts by EzEd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:14 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Eddy,

Godspeed indeed. I share your thoughts and excitement in watching Discovery put us back in space. Definitely an achievement we all should feel very proud to be a part of.

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:49 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Eddy,

Thanks and I am very confident that we have the best launch team in the world and the support from even retired design Engineers came back from retirement to support us with the sensor issues. It has been one relentless work from even the high management brass from Washington D.C., Mr. Griffin.

I am very glad I came to work here 19 years ago.

Thanks again Eddy and I will not relax until wheel stop.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:19 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Space Shuttle Fleet Grounded.

Eddy,

The Space Shuttle Manager had no choice but, to ground the fleet in view of the latest developments on the foam from the External Fuel Tank detaching in dynamic flight.

When I was working as the Electric Failure Analysis Engineer (Quality Engineer) at the Booster Facilities, back in 1995 there was a movement to ban all known solvents to clean metal surfaces such as Alumimum skin on the non-motorized segments of the Sold Rocket Booster parts such as the Aft Skirts, Forward, and Fustrum components.

The chemicals that mixed for adhesion for foam to be sprayed on these parts and many were painted were also banned by the EPA. NASA had to comply and I feel that many of the processes had to be revisited and many chemical componds were completely different and the process by which you had to prepare, mixed, and cured had to be changed.

I don't know for certain if this large piece that fell off the aft end of the External Tank was a result of a repair, an area that needed access and thereby gets repaired by design or some other reason.

Many are working hard to determine what will be the next step but, as you can see that if there's no backup for the existing process on applying this foam to the External tank then, a significant amount of time would be required to develop a process by which everyone will be certain that it will not come off under extream temparatures and dynamic flight pressures.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000