I had 2 set-ups with the Komet.

On maiden, my original set-up was:

Himax 2025 2700kv BL motor
APC 4x4 (trimmed 4.2x4) prop
CC Phoenix 25 ESC
Futaba R146iP 6ch Rx
2x Hitec HS55 servos
Polyquest 1800mah 3S1P li-poly

Used 3mm depron with lightening holes as vert stab (instead of the kit-supplied carbon titanium composite) . Covered the vert stab and wings with solarfilm. Solarfilm white stripes as well at the bottom of wing for greater visibility. Glassed the lower fuse with nurse's (white) pantyhose and polyurethane. Coated the top fuse and rest of the exposed foam with just polyurethane. The bottom fuse includes 1 ĹĒ of the nose with motor mount. The top fuse, which can separated for access to innards, includes the vert stab. Used bamboo skewers and rubberbands as wing hold-down.

Flies like a dream on maiden. Happily cruises straight and level on half throttle and needs 3mm reflex on the elevons. Wickedly fast and insane rolls at WOT. Verticals are short. Has a long glide on throttle off so landing must have a nice long approach. The Himax has a flimsy shaft so I bent it on a prop strike on landing. The glassed lower fuse is really tough and can take abuse. Picture below shows how it is after countless landings on gravel.

Eager to fly it again, I changed the power system to the following:

S400 Multiplex brushed motor
Wattage 4.5x2.5 (trimmed 5x2.5) prop
GWS ICS 480 ESC

I was surprised this set-up performed a little better than the BL. Itís still fast but has better pull on long verticals and can do rolls while at it. Probably because the higher torque of the S400 could swing the larger prop. Can easily do 10-12 mins of aerobatic flight on the 1800mah lipo. The position of the battery over the wing made it a little top-heavy but a non-issue in normal upright flight, just a little responsive on ailerons. However, because itís a little top-heavy, I found it more stable in inverted flight, which is needed (when inverted) with this wickedly fast small plane. Inverted passes solicited some ooohhs and aaahhs from those watching and brought a smile to my face. Just a little forward push on the elevons, nothing unusual. Because the prop is more draggy than the previous set-up, it can easily slow down when reducing throttle, something to watch out for in landing. Might stall unexpectedly so I had to keep the speed up.

Some pics
bolkow is offline Find More Posts by bolkow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:48 AM
Pilipinas
Joined Mar 2005
107 Posts
I think a German cross decal on the vert stab would add a little panache. Wondering where I can find one of appropriate size.
bolkow is offline Find More Posts by bolkow
Old Aug 04, 2006, 10:35 AM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Hey Bolkow,

see this thread never got any replies. Shame. I'm thinking abot getting one of these for a laugh.

I've got BP21 and 1600 MAh 3s LiPo to play with, also 7 * 6 prop, which seems bigger than you use.

Sounds like it flies well. You busted yours up yet? I have heard that these planes don't last long.
alexeames is offline Find More Posts by alexeames
Old Aug 04, 2006, 09:43 PM
Joined Oct 2004
450 Posts
Where did you get it? This looks really cool. I recently built a profile ME163 out of FFF, but haven't flown it yet.

Adam
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Aug 04, 2006, 10:42 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Ditto, who's the distributor?

Man, that's a lot of battery for that plane. Is that your test batt, or do you plan to use that for 45min flights?
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Aug 05, 2006, 03:04 AM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
I don't know who sells it stateside, I'm in Poland at the moment and saw it on the website of a shop I plan to visit next week.

I think they were at one point imported to the US by Dymond, they are made by ACT. http://www.acteurope.com/html/hauptteil_me_163.html

I mentioned that battery because it's what i have here. I also have a 1320, which may be better. But I think I might buy one of these and shove it in the cupboard, as I've realised it's probably too fast for my ability at the moment.
alexeames is offline Find More Posts by alexeames
Old Aug 05, 2006, 03:09 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
I just looked at the thread a minute ago, no new posts. Saw it again just now, an realized someone else is actually posting at this time of the night. Morning I guess, in the UK. I better get to bed.

I'll have to look at Dymond. Got things there before. They seem pretty good. Their micro servos are really strong.
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:56 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2 Posts
I was given one of these as a gift. Where can I find CG information and instructions?

Thank you,
Tony
TGTX is offline Find More Posts by TGTX
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:28 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTX View Post
I was given one of these as a gift. Where can I find CG information and instructions?

Thank you,
Tony
Check this archive on rcgroups

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...sort=1&cat=500

The builder in that article put the CG at "4" from the trailing edge at the side of the fuselage"
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; Nov 13, 2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: better info
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2 Posts
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck View Post
Check this archive on rcgroups

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...sort=1&cat=500

The builder in that article put the CG at "4" from the trailing edge at the side of the fuselage"

That is exactly what I was searching for. Perfect! Thank You!
TGTX is offline Find More Posts by TGTX
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:31 AM
Southern Darling Downs Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
150 Posts
Hot esc problem

Hi ,just purchased a S&B Komet,2700 inrunner ,3cell 2200, Hobbyking 25 Esc (says 30 amp in the small print on it ) havent flown it yet but when i give it a rev while holding onto it the ESC gets really hot---- is this normal? P.S. 6x4 prop Cheers Ken
Kennyglide is offline Find More Posts by Kennyglide
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:46 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,857 Posts
Might wanna prop down.....try a 5x5..Betcha your drawin too many amps...its best to check your amp draw...If you do not have a Watt Meter,...You should really buy one...they are very simple to use...and can save you many Motors and ESCs....Billy

HEAT is your worst Enemy................
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:31 AM
Southern Darling Downs Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
150 Posts
Yeah thanks Billy, Watt Meter sounds like a go. Regards Ken
Kennyglide is offline Find More Posts by Kennyglide
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:09 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,857 Posts
Good Luck Ken!....You'll enjoy using a Watt Meter....and you probably will NEVER have any issues after buying one....Billy...
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly