HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2005, 08:15 AM
Tampa Bay, FL
Joined Jan 2005
29 Posts
Movin' on up...

I started flying a FP DragonFly about 6 months ago. I can control the DF well, tail in, out, hover, and FF. I have become tired of the DF...

About a month ago a friend gave me a Century Hawk GAS that is complete and never flown but a 1999 vintage...

I really enjoy the electrics for ease of use, lack of knowledge about GAS (don't know how to even start it), expense of the big ones (still occasional crash), and mostly the lack of time I have to dedicate to FUN stuff . My 15 minute nightly flight is 'MY' time!

So should I:

1.) Sell the Hawk GAS and buy a new TRex?

2.) Go GAS with the Hawk.
rherring is offline Find More Posts by rherring
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2005, 08:27 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,192 Posts
You already know the answer, don't you! How are you going to get 15 minutes of nightly flight time without using an electric heli?
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Jul 26, 2005, 08:47 AM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
I agree with Tonystott. You've listed pros for electric, and cons for gas. It seems that you already know the answer.

If the friend "gave" you the heli (ie: you didn't pay for it) then hang on to it. You may soon find that you have a bit more time than 15 minutes. If it looks like you will never get more than 15 minutes than sell it to somebody that will give it a good home.

You might even be able to trade it to somebody looking to offload a good TRex.
beemer is offline Find More Posts by beemer
Old Jul 26, 2005, 09:46 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,882 Posts
The main advantage of the gas/nitro is the increased stability of the larger helis (also available in elctric but at a premium price) in wind (making them easier to fly). Because the parts are larger, the part tolerances are better and more robust - micro parts are small and tolerances are tight requiring more maintenance/tweaking.

If you can only afford one heli and you crave convenience and flying time and your flying location options are limited (ie. you don't live next to a big open field with no close neighbors), then a mini electric is your best bet (mini outdoor - micro indoor). But you knew that already anyway ...
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Old Jul 26, 2005, 09:57 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Electric is the ONLY way to go. Nitro / Gas require too much time to drive to a location and then the mess of fueling.

Stick to Electric with your 15minutes, you would never have time to fly nitro/gas
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:08 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,882 Posts
Yeah - just thinking of tuning motors and dealing with fuel as compared to the plug and play convenience of electric is enough for me! (Although there's nothing wrong with owning both!)
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:39 PM
Tampa Bay, FL
Joined Jan 2005
29 Posts
Which TRex?

Thanks for confirming my gut feelings. - Electric it is!

As far as the TRex, I see Hellihobby sells many versions: Std (X), XL Hiller, XL eCCPM. Which one do I want? My only experience is with a FP Dragonfly but I have done a far amount of reading vendor sites.

I will go brushless, lipos and the GY240 HH.

Help me make this venture successful!
rherring is offline Find More Posts by rherring
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:48 PM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,882 Posts
Get either the HDE or CDE - they have many improvements over the 450X V2. Both are good - it's just personal preference.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 03:18 PM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
helihobby? You're new here aren't you?
dankers is offline Find More Posts by dankers
Old Jul 26, 2005, 04:01 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers
helihobby? You're new here aren't you?
Oh man, don't say that! What do you know that I need to know??

I have a part on "backorder" right now from them
Old Jul 26, 2005, 04:34 PM
King of The Moon
NYC
Joined Jun 2003
756 Posts
Quote:
Oh man, don't say that! What do you know that I need to know??
I still say, HeliHobby is not evil, just really, really, ...what's a nice way to put it, ...well, STUPID.
(sorry Sean)
I wish he'd hire some better people. You'll get your parts or credit eventually. They've always worked out stuff for me. I have to admit they have a great catalog (website) and the shipping is a good deal. I wish Sean would handle all my orders though.
ozoneone is offline Find More Posts by ozoneone
Old Jul 26, 2005, 04:44 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
Well, my problem is that it was in stock when ordered, but not when shipped.

I haven't been able to get them to respond to any of my emails either even though their site says that they respond within 2 business days. I sent one email about 2 weeks ago, and the other one yesterday.

My project is on hold until then. Plus I'd hate to find out that I wasted all my time for something, only to find that it's junk once I get it.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 04:49 PM
King of The Moon
NYC
Joined Jun 2003
756 Posts
What part is it?

Oh I just noticed you're in Canada. Shipping seems to be somewhat unpredictable when it's international.
ozoneone is offline Find More Posts by ozoneone
Old Jul 26, 2005, 04:59 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
It's a GWS-EDF-40 unit. My other parts arrived in good time, but the box was a wee tad under weight Found out the EDF unit never was shipped.

Now I just have to wait until it's back in stock I guess.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:42 PM
Redcliffe Qld Aus
Joined Jul 2004
312 Posts
I'd only use a gasser once a week whilst at the club waiting for my electric to cool down after a good thrashing. The electrics can fly anywhere anytime and are simple the best for a quick fly before and after work.
I'd have taken ten years to learn to fly with the opportunities given a gasser and i still dont really like getting my hands dirty
Klinger is offline Find More Posts by Klinger