HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2002, 02:23 PM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
wattage sukhoi mods??

Hi all

just picked up a sukhoi yesterday and was wondering about any usefull mods. Also what kind of amps does the stock drive system pull? I did see the thread reguarding wing AOI so I'm all good there I also planed on new wheels from the start so I picked up some du-bro micro lights. Does the firewall hold up OK or does it need some help? I did see one post about this but if only one person had a problem with it I'll leave it and take my chances.

Thanks Buzz
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2002, 03:14 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
You're gonna really enjoy this plane. I'm estimating a 7 amp draw static with the stock setup (which gives great performance). Mine will just about maintain altitude with the throttle trim up (no stick).

New wheels is very wise. The stock gear is fine for smooth hard surfaces, but not for grass.

You may end up having to strengthen the firewall at the bottom where the gear stresses it. The plywood tends to give at that point after a few landings, especially on grass.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Apr 29, 2002, 09:59 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Buzz;

I wouldn't recommend changing much of anything. The only changes I made to mine were dumping the canopy (used a canopy shaped hunk of foam) and most importantly I changed the blue to red and added Russian stars (now it looks like a Sukhoi). You can mess with the gear, but mine spends most of its time without it as I fly mostly off grass.

Mike

PS Forgot (CRS) the one thing I would do is fill the sides of the battery compartment with foam, it's pretty breakable as is.
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Last edited by Mikerjf; Apr 29, 2002 at 12:31 PM.
Old May 05, 2002, 11:41 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Just thought I would add a note, The Sukhoi must be a lot better out of the box than the Zero since there are 4 pages of mods on the Zero thread and only two replys too my original question. Hehehehehe just kidding there are probably alot more zeros flying than Sukhoi's but it still makes me wonder!!!!!
Old May 05, 2002, 04:27 PM
Happy happy, joy joy!
Portland, Oregon, USA
Joined Jun 2001
623 Posts
I've flown this plane about 10 times now, and I'd have to say that it is GREAT out of the box. But-

-The wheels need to go. Yech.
-Reinforce the ply wall behind the landing gear "tab". I just filled in the gap with some ProBond or equivalent. But, you might be wise to actually put a chunk of balsa in there too. I haven't had any issues yet.

And that's about it, from memory anyway. Oh yeah, I did add a piece of CF running up the rear of the vert fin, just like they did with the horiz with the supplied fiberglass rod. I did the CF because someone posted saying theirs busted.

The motor/GB is noisy but effective. The furnished prop seems just right for it, too. I replaced it with a GWS EPS300C 3.75 ratio and have yet to prop it correctly, I felt like I actually got better performance with stock. It got my NiMH 720's nicely warm but not too hot. Everything I've done with the GWS has left them lukewarm. The GB is alot smoother and quieter though.

-Goge
Goge is offline Find More Posts by Goge
Old May 05, 2002, 07:44 PM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Goge

I did the same as you to support the bottom of the firewall except I used 5min epoxy and it works very well I even tried to break the lower part of the firewall when I caught the landing gear on a power line pulled the whole firewall off and buggered up the lower half of the fuse to the wing leading edge but that little tab that hangs below the fuse is still just as it was before the mishap I know I was a little extreme with this test but it couldnt be helped
Old May 06, 2002, 09:33 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Actually, in defense of the Zero many of the guys using it are coming directly off a Tiger Moth or something similar. I think the threads would be even longer if they selected the Sukhoi. I know they would be longer if they selected the Sporty. Wattage learned a lot from the Sporty and the Sukhoi's the result. The Sporty's sold as S280 geared. Badly underpowered and very prone to tip stalls. It's biggest saving grace is that it's designed to go fast (0,0 incidence), the Zero's been getting a bad rap because GWS tried to cover all the bases and make it work fast or slow (S280, S300). The problem with that is when you make a slow plane fast and change nothing but the drive you've got an airframe that needs a load of down trim to handle the speed.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old May 06, 2002, 10:27 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Ya Mike

After reading threw the thread most of the posts are about installing retracts. I also think you are correct about the skill level of most of the people flying the Zero using it as an aileron trainer.