HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2001, 07:58 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jun 2001
1,009 Posts
Before buying the Stick, some questions...

Hi all

I need some advices with the Lite Stick. As Iím totally new and also from Malaysia, this type of flying is very rare and will have zero LHS support. After much reading, I decided to buy this lite stick but I have some questions before I mail order it from US:

How durable is the motor?
Should I get the hop up motor?
Can I use up to 8 cell?
I believe I need extra prop,right?
What is the maximum capacity/weight of batteries can I use before I exceed the Stick strength ie breakage/folding?
I only have standard receiver(Futaba 127), is this too heavy? Have no other choice as the price of another feather receiver is way off my budget.
I do have the Hitec HS55 or HS81MG. The 81MG is heavier but it is metal gear so very unlikely to break the servo gear. I have read many beginner broke like dozens of servo gear.

What I wanted to do is that if I were make my order, I want to purchase some of the replacement parts at the same time so that I can sustain my fun longer rather than having it break and wait for ages to purchase the parts, not to mentioned another round of S&H.

I saw some site selling 2 stick for the $50 which is a good deal. It can be my back up parts. But I rather purchase some extra parts ie maybe gears or the motor etc.

Any helps much appreciated!

Magna is offline Find More Posts by Magna
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2001, 08:11 PM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
1. As long as you use a 6 or 7 cell pack the stock DX-A is very durable.

2. You should order a carbon brush motor to keep on hand until your first one burns out.

3. 8 cells make this plane fly very well but will greatly reduce motor life, probably by at least half.

4. You should get 3 or 4 extra props. They're very cheap and tend to break on your first few "landings"

5. I've flown with 700mAh NiCd's but the wings were very stressed. Even with a carbon fiber spar they were showing a lot of flex.

6. The Futaba 127 is OK as long as you remove the case.

7. I would use the HS55's . Extra gear sets for them are only about US$7.

Remember to keep this plane <u>Lite</u>. The lighter it is, the better it'll fly. An extra motor/gearbox is highly recommended as they tend to shatter if they strike concrete.

You should also look at Doug Binder's DuskStik. It's superior to the LiteStik in almost every way but costs about $50. It uses the same gear but performs much better. Check it out here www.duskstik.com and see what else I had to say about it here http://litestick.rcplanet.com/articl...tikreview.html .

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

Brad
<a href="http://litestick.rcplanet.com">The LiteStick Forum</a>
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie
Old Jun 25, 2001, 08:15 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
The Futaba #R127DF Receiver is probably too big, I have one. I would get a GWS Pico Pack, it costs like $80.00 & comes with a Micro #R4P FM receiver, ESC, Battery & 2 sub-micro pico servos, can't beat the price for $80.00 & it's specifically designed for the Litestick/Picostick. I am building my Litestick right now as I write this, I'm waiting for the glue to dry. I called my Local Hobby Shop & he will have my Pico Pack & Crystal ready for me on Wednesday. All you need is some sort of FM Transmitter to use with this receiver. Remember, weight is your enemy when working with small planes like this. I am told you need at least 7-cell packs with the Litestick, The Pico pack comes with a 6-cell, you may need to add a cell, an 8-cell pack is gonna be hard on the little motor but I have heard guys doing it. let me know how yours goes & I'll post the progress on mine.
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jun 25, 2001, 11:55 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jun 2001
1,009 Posts
Hi Brad

At $47, is the Duststick come complete or do I need to get that motor,prop, gear etc?

Mrebman,

I will weight a few more questions before I take the plunge. Your progress is certainly something I look forward to.
Magna is offline Find More Posts by Magna
Old Jun 26, 2001, 01:29 AM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
Magna,

You'll still need to buy a motor/gearbox if you go with the DuskStik. It probably better to get a LiteStik and then upgrade to the DuskStik when you're ready for better performance. On the other hand, the DuskStik is <u>much</u> stronger and easier to fly than the LiteStik.

Brad
<a href="http://litestick.rcplanet.com">The LiteStick Forum</a>
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie