SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2005, 03:12 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Graupner Cub as first gas plane?

Hey Guys,

Benn flying for a few months now--I have countless hours in a slo-v, parkzone J3 cub, as well as a stryker.

I';ve been thinking baout going gas and have been looking at the graupner cub mainly because of price, plus i like the cub airframe.

WOuld this be a decent plane for me to break into gas with?

Thanks
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2005, 04:36 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,657 Posts
A Cub is not a good trainer - they have very poor ground handling and as a result hard take offs and landings. Better get some experience with tail draggers before trying a Cub. I know several experienced pilots, who don't like Cubs just because of their notorious ground handling.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:57 PM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,267 Posts
He's already flown a PZ Cub, so I say go for it. The Stryker is not a forgiving airplane. If you can handle that one, you should be ok with a Cub.
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:57 PM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Nah, the parkzone cub isnt anything like a gas one. You jsut handlaunch that one. I wouldnt reccomend the cub as a first glow plane either. If you want something kind of like a cub, but with better ground handling, try this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBDE7&P=0

Or if you want something different, but relatively easy to fly, try this:http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVR2&P=0

or
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDUL8&P=0
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:03 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Thanks for the help guys,

Many people only handlaunch theire parkzone planes ---I do not I ROG wiht absolutely no problem, it took some practice but she takes off from the ground like a champ.

I noticed you said the U-cando 3d plane, I have also been looking at these plus the extra 300 style of plane. WHat are peoples thoughts on these as a first gas--- I can handle speed, that doesnt bother me. However so far i have only flown 3 channel.

Any help would be great---I'm pretty satisfied with my little park flyers --but after wathing my friend fly his Hanger 9 60 Corsair --the gas bug is itching me. He has the exact same experience as me and has no problems flying his corsair so I think I can handle it. All opinions are more than wlecome on this.

Thanks
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:44 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
I went from electric into glow planes this summer the safe way. I bought a SIG Kadet LT-40 trainer, and loved it. Then after a couple of flights I moved onto a Tower Hobbies Kaos. The difference between the 2 is real simple, the trainer with a flat bottom wing wants to climb, and the Kaos with a semi symetrical wings goes where you point it and is a little less forgiving. I also have a Slow Poke and I love that plane. It can rock fast or slow to a crawl for a landing. I had the club guys joking that they could hand catch the poke when it lands. I would recomend that you use a plane with trike gear at first for ROG's. The trike is less likely to tip, and easier to control on the ground. I wouls also shy away from the U can do's at this time, until you ger some more aileron time under your belt. Those planes are designed a bit tail heavy, with large control surfaces for 3D and can be handfull if you don't know how to control them.
I guess I would recomend the LT-40 for your first glow plane. It has a large 70+ inch wing span, goes together easily, flies great, and with a .46 on the nose can really cook in the sky (especially with high rates on your radio) Even though I enjoy my low wing planes now, I still get the trainer out and rip up the sky with it.

Here's a link to the plane:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFG19&P=ML

and a link to my web site with some photos:
www.mspwebs.com/rcflight

Good luck with whatever plane you choose.
thacherd is offline Find More Posts by thacherd
Old Jul 26, 2005, 09:18 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,657 Posts
I'd recommend a Hobbico Avistar or a H9 Arrow - both have semi-symmetrical wings and are pretty good aerobats. They are keepers - if you don't crash the plane - you can fly such a plane even when you're advanced pilot - like after a week or two away from the field, in the spring - just to get your level of confidence up.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member