SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2005, 05:55 PM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Help!
How do you teach yourself to fly Heli's

I am VERY new to R/C Helicoptor flying, and I am having a very hard time trying to learn how to fly on my own. I have been trying to teach myself on the Realflight G2 Simulator for days now and so far have managed to crash over $1000's of dollars in simulated Heli's.

What is the first thing I should do in order to learn R/C Helicoptor flying? I don't have an instructor to teach me hands on, so I'm forced to rely on my simulator for "experience".

Need help Desperately! Any advice will be well accepted and apprecieted
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2005, 06:07 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Youre on the right track. Take it slow and easy. When you get to the place where you can hover on the sim, youre ready for the real thing, I would suggest when youre ready to get a first helicopter the Corona stands on top of all others for a trainer. Its a fixed pitch heli very durable and parts are easy to get. When youre able to hover and able to in all orientations you'll be fine. Dont fret,it will take some time and practice. Keep at it. And, you have one of the best sims out there.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Jul 24, 2005, 06:13 PM
Tonyt
Joined Jan 2005
190 Posts
I had no RC experience in any thing. I bought G3 used it for 3 months and the bought a Trex and was able to hover nose in first pack. There are things your going to need to do. Lots and lots of SIM time. I was able to hove in all directions and with any of the Heliís, I was actually able to do more Rolls, loops, flips and so. Lots and lots of reading, I read everything I could post back to 2000. Then thereís tenacity, patience and very high attention to detail. This last one isnít a must but I push it past my abilities a deep pocket sure does help.

Good Luck

Tony
tbeine is offline Find More Posts by tbeine
Old Jul 24, 2005, 06:15 PM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
I learned with a Hummingbird Elite FP, I did not use a sim, if you can fly a micro helicopter you can fly anything!
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Jul 24, 2005, 06:17 PM
Usually underground in Virginia
Joined Oct 2004
395 Posts
Early on, I decided to skip using a sim to learn. To me, sim's are great for learning advanced flying, such as instruments, but do not take into account real flying conditions.

I bought my Blade CP a little over a month ago with no heli experience. I checked out a few sites and determined that I would learn to fly it...without rushing it.

I spent 3 weeks or so scooting around on the ground learning the controls. My first hover was only a couple of inches and was not pretty at all...the heli moved every which way you could think of. I fought it left and right, dinged up a lot of main blades, then took a chance and flew it up to about 18 inches to get out of "ground effect".

Things smoothed out considerably, but I still have a hard time staying within a 3-foot box in a hover.

My biggest problem is automatically cutting back on the throttle when I start getting in trouble. Cutting the throttle cuts the pitch, and goodbye lift...hello hard landing...and more dinged up blades.

I guess my point is to rely less on the sim and go fly your heli. The sim isn't going to teach you what to do if the winds shifts a bit and how to counter it.

Take your time and learn slowly. After all, what's the rush?
VACaver is offline Find More Posts by VACaver
Old Jul 24, 2005, 06:35 PM
Tonyt
Joined Jan 2005
190 Posts
Well I don't know what sim youíre talking about but I am talking about a real RC sim like G3, Reflex that has wind and gust and thermals you can connect your Tx. Do a search and about 99% of the people will tell you a SIM will help it will teach you the stick movement and the reflexes. I am living proof. Not only will it help you with flight it will help with crashing. They are not cheap but they will pay for them selfs. Itís not like flying the real thing because the SIM heli is setup perfect. There are just to many people out there that say different. And no MS Flight simulator is not an RC SIM
Old Jul 24, 2005, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2005
235 Posts
I agree 100% w ya. I have a harder time on a sim then the real thing!!! Slow and easy is the way to go. To me the sim turned into a video game,i would crash then just restart. But dont get me wrong it can help, but only can help so far. Grab all it has to offer then apply it to the real thing. You'll see with some time on it, you'll be somewhat prepared for what comes your way when your flying the real thing. I basically learned that way on a rotofly,dragonfly fp. The old CF,CF,CF,CF,CF way. Crash and Fix!
predman is offline Find More Posts by predman
Old Jul 24, 2005, 08:59 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
predman me too, on the sim i don't take it seriously and don't learn very much....i just got a micro fp chopper, no training gear, no sim time, and just learned to hover in my brother's 7x10 bedroom! If possible learn to hover (safely) indoors, it is a lot easier to learn w/out worrying about wind, grass, uneven ground, distractions, etc. have fun!
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
Old Jul 24, 2005, 09:07 PM
Joined Jul 2005
26 Posts
In G2 just go into the game and let it load, just press "v" and a a virtual instructor pops up and just click the the the arrow to bring a box down,click helicopter beginner then click "hover" and he teaches you how to fly
Bluesnyth is offline Find More Posts by Bluesnyth
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:05 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2004
33 Posts
There is a posting somewhere to "RADDS school of rotary flight" (Google it)
Very helpful , sims are great and read read read.
Mak579 is offline Find More Posts by Mak579
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:19 PM
Tonyt
Joined Jan 2005
190 Posts
If you treat an RC SIM like a game then that's what it is. Treat an RC SIM like a tool and then it becomes a tool. Though they might not fly like the real thing but the stick inputs are the same. I would stand a better chance of learning a new 3D move and not crashing if I prefect it on the SIM first.

Tony
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:26 PM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,131 Posts
just hover and fly with the tail towards you at first dotn try to fly towards your self just yet as the controls are reversed that way!
djdaveq is offline Find More Posts by djdaveq
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:12 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
i used a sim...just a cheapie to learn to hover. i practiced about a week..say 5 hours, then was hovering my dragonfly tail in on the 2nd day.

Same deal with side and nose in hovering, just practiced a few hours on the sim and was doing it on the heli shortly after.

I do need a better sim now that I want to learn inverted hovering.

re practice. are you sure that all the sticks are setup correctly ?

I always tell people that it's crucial that they learn to manage the tail. If you can't keep the tail in one spot, (ie pointing towards you) then you can forget about learning to hover.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:24 AM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Thanks everyone

I completely forgot about the virtual instructor on the G2 Simulator. I'll try that as soon as I get home (I'm at work right now ). I'll remember to keep the tail pointed towards me and will follow all the advice you guys have given.
I also have a Dragonfly Mini Chopper that I'll force myself to take out of the box and practice "real time" hovering with. Hopefully I'll get a handle on this. One thing is for sure, this is definitely alot harder than flying fixed wing airplanes

Thanks again everyone
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:51 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
There are flight lessons in the EHBG - don't forget to read that.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita