HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Wayne's Indoor World - April 2000

This month, I’ve information on some new SlowFly / ParkFly products from several manufacturers and a response from the manufacturer to last month’s ‘how to’ on replacing a servo lead on one of those Taiwanese 6g servos. There are also details on my latest SlowFlyer and the interesting sequence of events that led to its construction, news from fellow aviators, and a few other surprises.

Splash

G’day and welcome to your belated April 2000 tour through Wayne’s Indoor World. I have to start with an apology – this one has been a struggle to get to you due to a whole lot of non-modeling pressures. Anyway, we made it, and I thank you for your patience.

Thank you to all of you who have so willingly sent me details of your SlowFly and ParkFly experiences. This sharing enables all of us to benefit from the collective ‘wisdom’ of this interactive medium. I salute your efforts - keep up the great ‘work’.

Lift-off

This month, I’ve information on some new SlowFly / ParkFly products from several manufacturers and a response from the manufacturer to last month’s ‘how to’ on replacing a servo lead on one of those Taiwanese 6g servos. There are also details on my latest SlowFlyer and the interesting sequence of events that led to its construction, news from fellow aviators, and a few other surprises. Read on and enjoy.

Servo Lead Replacement – Manufacturer’s comments

Last month, I showed you how I replace the servo leads on the 6g and 9g servos manufactured in Taiwan by GWS (Grand Wing Servo Company). I also warned you not to undertake the process if you were not competent with a soldering iron. Remember this? - "….Needless to say though, if you are not competent with a small soldering iron (20 – 25watts) don’t attempt this procedure – you’ll ruin your servo (great for the manufacturers and distributors, but bad for you!!)…."

The leads and connectors I substituted in that "how to" were lightweight leads with JST connectors that I purchased off WES Technics. The JST connector appears to have become the defacto standard connector for micro R/C equipment, being offered as an option by all micro R/C equipment manufacturers that I can think of.

In response to my "how to", I received the following interesting email from Houng-Wen Lin, President of the Grand Wing Servo Tech Co., Ltd

emaillab.gif (1621 bytes)

Dear Wayne,

Reading your article on E-zone about how to change a GWS 6g & 9g servo to be with JST wire really make me surprised. We created JST mini connector as a new micro size standard with Volz.

GWS was Volz subcontractor for long years business. We did offer this choice for all distributors around the world. But, very few of them be ordered!

We also have great business relation with WES-tech too!

Please tell the flyers who need 6g & 9g servo with JST connector to order from their suppliers, STRONGLY request! Push them order from GWS those servo with JST. It is very risky to modify by user. Our solder team are very experience to be at this job. Too much heat will make the servo pot and motor loosen and cause damage or life duration shorter!

with regards,

Houng-Wen Lin / President
Grand Wing Servo Tech Co., Ltd
TEL:+886 2 2647 0057
FAX:+886 2 2643 0292
e-mail: gws(at)grandwing.com

Please support your LOCAL HOBBY SHOPS. If you can not find GWS products nearby, let us know.

I found this email particularly interesting, because it educated me as to the origins of the JST connector. Now you have it from the manufacturer – replace leads at your own risk, or better still, get your hobby shop to supply the servos already fitted with the JST connector.

New Products

Recently, I’ve had information on a number of new SlowFly / ParkFly products passed onto me from other modelers as well as some suppliers. Some of these products are not "hot off the press" but they may not have reached your local Hobby Shop yet. If you have seen it here in the Ezone, then make sure you tell others about it – in other words, get with the program and make sure you spread the word!!

Receivers:

Don Costelloe sent me some pictures of the Hitec ‘Feather’ and JR micro rx’s. For me, the appealing thing about these rx’s is that they both use standard connectors and standard size crystals, yet still come in at under 10g mass. Hitec quote a reduced range for their rx (exact details unknown) but Don tells me that he has been told by the distributor that the JR rx is "almost full spec". Empirical tests indicate a range sufficient for hand launch glider type applications.

You could use two 6g servos and one of these rx’s and stay under 22g (3/4 ounce) which is less than the weight of either manufacturer’s "standard" servo!

receiverend.jpg (18432 bytes)  JR_Feather_Receivers.jpg (25248 bytes)

These pictures show you the small receivers being offered by Hitec and JR. As you can see, the JR uses a traditional plastic case and xtal holder, while the Hitec uses a heat shrink ‘case’.

Walter Scholl (Walter.Scholl(at)idnet.de), Mr WES Technics, will soon be distributing a new rx, based on the JMP rx used in the "Twice Rein" featured in a previous WIW column. This 5ch Rx weighs 2.3gram including micro crystal, antenna and sockets!!!

JMPRx.jpg (26582 bytes)

The new super micro Rx. From JMP and soon to be available through WES Technics.

Motors and other things that go round and round:

GWS have become known for their extensive range of servos and associated products, which sell under a number of brand names around the globe. However, they do not just manufacture servos. They are now making small receivers, gyros, and a range of slowfly/parkfly propulsion systems and accessories.

wheels.jpg (27142 bytes)  wheels47mm.jpg (37539 bytes)  bits_don.jpg (22763 bytes)

These wheels and propellers are now being offered by GWS. Check with your local hobby shop for pricing and availability.

The GWS wheels come in three different sizes and are very light (2.5g for a pair of 47mm dia.) and surprisingly robust. My only complaint so far is that you have to CA the tyres on, or they pop off!! The propellers are available here in Australia in 3 sizes (8", 9" & 10"), but according to this chart I received direct from GWS, there are actually six sizes available right up to 12"

Ips.jpg (33691 bytes)

I have only been able to get my hands on the one GWS propulsion system so far, the 12turn Standard B version. I have fitted it to my "Bobbie" parkflyer described last month, and it flies quite happily with it and the 8" propeller and 3 x 800mah Tadiran 3v cells. My initial brief tests indicate that the propellers and propulsion set are probably optimized for 6 – 7 cells and about 1 –1.5 amps. I will run some more tests and review the remainder of the information GWS sent me and let you know more next month. The propellers are molded in an orange plastic, and so far have stood up to abuse very well – they bend rather than break.

12t_std_b.jpg (24014 bytes)  backend.jpg (37446 bytes)  frontend.jpg (36786 bytes)  prop_hubs.jpg (43585 bytes)

Details of the GWS propulsion system and matching propellers. The propeller fits neatly over flats on the propulsion system shaft and is retained by a nut on the threaded shaft. Be warned though, the nut should be checked regularly - You can’t fly when you lose your nuts!?!

WES Technics has also added another prop to their range of carbon props – this time it’s a 3 bladed prop. I don’t have further details at this time, but it looks a treat.

WES3Blade.jpg (42366 bytes)

From WES comes their latest propeller offering, a 3 bladed carbon beauty.

Get a grip – use the right Glue

Last month, I told you how I now use "Cover Grip" to glue the Mylar covering to the structure, rather than use UHU type glue sticks (which soften in humid conditions). "Cover Grip" is a water based contact type adhesive that is meant for priming timber or plastic structures before the application of iron on coverings

John Davidson <JDavidson(at)Fortune-Johnson.com> emailed me requesting "…Where can Cover Grip glue be purchased?" Unfortunately, I cannot give you a simple answer John, because I do not know who the distributor is in your part of the world. To make life easier for you though, I took a couple of close ups of a new bottle of "Cover Grip" I recently purchased from my local hobby shop.

cgrip_cu.jpg (33336 bytes)  cgripbottle.jpg (29590 bytes)

These pictures show you what the bottle looks like – hassle your local hobby shop proprietor and "suggest" that they track it down for you and get some in stock. It is good stuff!!

I have also used the "Cover Grip" to construct small rubber powered indoor F/F models out of thin foam. It worked very well in this application as well.

I had the pleasure of being able to do some internet ‘horse trading’ with Mark Denham  mark(at)aeronutz.free-online.co.uk who swapped me some gear and information on designs for foam aeroplanes for some Nimh cells that I had. Never having used the thin foam sheet before, I thought I had better build something simple to get a feel for the material before I got too adventurous.

f200.jpg (29210 bytes)  f200_box1.jpg (18787 bytes)  F200catch.jpg (20795 bytes)

Two F200 models made out of 2mm styrene foam sheet – the sheeting is sold in England as insulation to go behind wallpaper. It is not as difficult to work with as I had expected and these little models fly really well.

I built two little rubber powered F/F models – the one assembled with "Cover Grip" weighed 1.9g and the other, assembled with a Sony manufactured glue out of a commercial foam electric F/F kit weighed in at 2.3g. I am impressed with the potential for the foam as a cheap building material. Mark and his fellow Aeronutz are using it extensively to build and fly some remarkable aeroplanes. I think we should get Mark to do a "how to’ for inclusion in a future column, don’t you think? In the meantime, here is the motor, speed controller and wiring details that I obtained off Mark.

microstuff.jpg (31970 bytes)

Now, where did I put that Zigras 2ch, IR set???

A ‘different’ sort of Challenge

My local Club, the Wagga Model Aero Club (WMAC – http://www.wagga.net.au/~wmac/ (out of date last time I checked – after all, I’ve been the President since last July!)) hosts a Military Scale weekend every year about the 25th April (ANZAC day). It is a large event that attracts over 50 airplanes every year. This year as part of the promotion leading up to the event, I flew my "Kolibri" (towing a banner) inside the local shopping plaza where we were holding a static display – talk about a people magnet!?! Every time I put it in the air, people appeared from I don’t know where. Add in the air conditioning, and it made for some interesting moments!! As a result of that display, a local radio station who runs a "60 minute challenge" every week, put it to me to come up with a suitable challenge. The publicity was too good to pass up, so we hurriedly agreed to their challenge to build a slowflyer and fly it 60m in 60minutes. We also offered to try and keep a slowflyer airborne for the whole 60 minutes.

That’s when things got interesting – Since the challenge was early morning mid-week, I took a calculated risk in accepting the challenge by assuming two of the WMAC club members who also have Kolibris would be able to bail me out. As it turned out, they were both out of town!!! All of my models are set up on mode 2 while the rest of the Club members fly Mode 1, so I borrowed a set of gear off another member and put it in my dusty old "Big-e-rat", so that he could fly it – only problem there was that he had never flown indoors before!!

Regardless, we all turned up next morning at 7.15am (for a 7.30 start) at the agreed location to find a locked up building and no one else in sight. The venue was a roller skating rink that none of us had been inside of before, but it looked big enough from the outside!! We finally got in at 7.30, raced around finding tables, lights etc, ready to get stuck into it. The radio station DJ did the intro in a live cross and we were off building and flying.

Ever tried to build an indoor model in poor light while standing up when somebody who has never flown indoor R/C before is flying your model and buzzing around just behind you, while another well meaning modeler is trying to help you build, in front of spectators who have no idea what it is you are trying to do while somebody else equally strange is broadcasting live to the un-seen masses? Well, we did and managed to get away with it. How did we go?

John, who was flying the "Big-e-rat" managed to bounce off the walls for about 25min before his concentration lapsed and he planted it firmly (right in the middle of another live cross as it turned out!). George, who was helping me build, did well under the circumstances. It’s amazing how badly you can build when you are in a hurry and cannot properly see what it is you think you are doing. Still, we were working on an outcome – the methods employed were inconsequential?!

2wgbuild3.jpg (38724 bytes)  2wgbuild6.jpg (35036 bytes)  2wgcoverering.jpg (26245 bytes)  2wgeratfly.jpg (22294 bytes)  2wg_jtfly1.jpg (19402 bytes)

"Three men and a model" – George Car assists me with the building of the "Tiny" while John Tennant makes his first indoor R/C flights using a borrowed aeroplane in front of spectators!! Afterwards, we flew the "mini-kolibri" and "Bobbie", just to prove that it wasn’t a fluke!?!

The model chosen as the victim of this ‘publicity stunt’ was Todd Long’s "Tiny", as kited by Bill Griggs. We managed to get the entire framework built and sanded, the wing covered, some of the gear installed and the undercarriage ready (using GWS wheels). At the end of the 60 minutes, the public adjudicated our efforts as successful and we were paid $60 for our efforts by the radio station sponsor - The Club got the money and we got the applause!!

Afterwards, I just had to finish the model off (lucky I’d just started leave). It was then, in good light, that I discovered how well we hadn’t built it. Regardless, I peeled off the covering, fixed the bad joints, recovered it and went on to finish it. I decided to go "full house" (now doesn’t that give my modeling age away?!?) with separate aileron, rudder & elevator servos. Given that it was going to do more flying outside than inside, I opted for a heavier but more robust covering film.

tiny_1.jpg (31585 bytes)  tiny_2.jpg (26467 bytes)  tiny_servos.jpg (32323 bytes)

"The finished "Tiny". The coloured film is Solarfilm and the transparent film is paper laminating film.

By the time I finished it that afternoon, it was pouring down with rain, so I couldn’t fly it. That had to wait until the next day.

tinyfly1.jpg (16536 bytes)  tinyfly2.jpg (27376 bytes)  tinyfly3.jpg (27032 bytes)   tinyfly4.jpg (27856 bytes)
tinyfly5.jpg (25785 bytes)   tinyfly6.jpg (18383 bytes)  tinyroll1.jpg (14257 bytes)  tinyroll2.jpg (18102 bytes)

"Tiny" does fly nicely. I’ve only had about 5 flights with it so far, but it does loop and roll and is very maneuverable.

So, if your Club is looking for ways to promote itself, think about doing something different and use some slowflyers.

What else is happening out there in Internet land??

Another good mix of emails this month for your information and education. Here is this month’s selection, with answers as appropriate.

Greg Needham <Greg.Needham(at)COMPAQ.com> sent me some pictures of his indoor model – apologies Greg, but somehow I managed to ‘lose’ one of them.

Attached are 2 views of my latest indoor. It weighs 145gms and flies too fast on 8 cells but have since removed 1 and await next months indoor meeting at Strathfield.

greg_ned1.jpg (11878 bytes)

Regards,

Greg Needham

President - MMSC

(Australia)

Pedro Guedes <pedro(at)esb.ucp.pt> is after information on ornithopters. If you can help him, please email Pedro directly. The smallest commercial servos are those from WES, but if you can accommodate the extra weight, use Taiwanese 6g servos.

Hi,

I would like to know if there is something anywhere about R/C Birds. I've got some birds that fly by rubber. But I think is time to put them in R/C.

I've got a problem in my Park because they don't let flying R/C airplanes. So my objective is to put a R/C Bird flying in the Park.

I've got all ready mini-receiver 8gr and a DC5-2.4 motor from WES-Technik. I'd like to know where can a buy ultralight micro-servos because the ones from WES are too expensive!

Thanks

Pedro Guedes - pedro(at)esb.ucp.pt

Portugal

Jerry Cashman" <jc(at)farmwide.com.au> took the time to send in some information on his efforts with electric free flight – thanks Jerry.

Hi Wayne,

Responding for your recent cry for more electric free-flight stuff, you might be interested in my little 'May-Bee'.

kp01-3.jpg (23513 bytes)

I built the May-Bee from a plan published in Aviation Modeller International some time in the last year or so, the author (sorry, can't remember name) had versions for KP-01 and small diesels. I built mine for the KP-01, a great little power plant which I am having a ball with.

The KP-01 has reduction gearing, 3 small cells, a charge jack and a really neat 'off' switch to save burning out the motor in the case of a sudden arrival which works by the prop shaft sliding backwards, springing open a set of contacts which break the motor circuit! Very clever and works really well.

The May-Bee is all sheet, Jedelsky wing, quite rugged and flies great. On a 20 second charge it's fun and safe at the local school oval and with a couple of minute charge, it really moves out and I've had over 2 minutes flights and lots of exercise from it. No DT is fitted as yet, so I'm a little hesitant to go more than 2 minutes charge.

It's great fun to fly while waiting for packs to charge!

If you're interested at all, let me know and I will dig up more info, dimensions, weights, etc.

All the best and keep up the great info! Much appreciated.

Cheers. Jerry.

Now for some questions and answers:

Firstly, Wayne Boots <N211WB(at)home.com> has a question about lightweight wire.

Hi Wayne,

I always enjoy reading your articles and they are the first I go to each month. I read with interest your latest how-to as it related to changing servo leads using the JST connectors. I have been looking for a source for the approx. 32awg wire that is typically used on small speed controls with the JST connectors. Do you happen to know of a source?

Thank you in advance for you time.

Wayne Boots N211WB(at)home.com

I generally use the 28 awg wire available from WES Technics – for the price, it is excellent and available in a range of colours. Otherwise, you may try some of the larger electronic wholesale outlets (Farnell, RS Components, etc) – however, you will probably have to buy it by the 50 - 100m roll.

Billy McCaskill <billmc(at)eatel.net> liked my "Bobbie" from last month’s column. I recently flew it at a public display in between the .90 powered pattern ship demonstrations, and the crowd were fascinated by it. There was a gentle breeze blowing, so I was able to make it virtually ‘hover’. Later, talking with some of the crowd, they said they were particularly intrigued by the lack of noise and the fact that you could see through the covering at "all the bits" !!

Hi Wayne,

this is my first time reading your column (but definitely not my last) and really enjoyed the article about the plane you called "Bobbie". I am new to electric flying and have never flown indoors, but this plane is very intriguing. Could you possibly list some of the basic dimensions (wingspan, length, chord, etc), or even better, come up with a set of plans for this plane? I like the fact that it still looks like a 'real' airplane and not a kite with a motor (like the IFO).

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Keep 'em flying!

Billy McCaskill

Well Billy, the photos gave you basically all the details on the construction – its all 1/8" sq., balsa with the ribs sliced out of 1/16" sheet. Here are the ‘vital statistics’:

• Wing chord – 185mm + 40mm wide ailerons.
  • Wing span 950mm
  • Wing TE to tail LE - 280mm
  • Wing LE to propeller – 120mm
  • Tail span - 340mm
  • Tail chord - 100mm + 30mm wide elevator
  • Fin – 120mm high x 75mm wide + 35mm (average) wide rudder
  • Wing is mounted 12mm above the line of the tailplane – both are rigged 0/0
  • The motor has about 2 degrees down thrust (because of the thick cambered section)

Chris Brown <thebrowns(at)uov.net> has some "newbie" questions that it won't hurt to go over again.

Hello,

I am interested in getting a slow flyer and this will be my first one. And I am wondering, what kind should I get? And also, Where can I get one that will go for about 10-15 minutes, and that is under 150.00?

Thanks,

Chris Brown

Chris, I assume we are talking US dollars? Anyway, look for an aeroplane of about 35" – 40" wingspan, that has enough wing area to give you a wing loading of 3.5-4.0 ounces/sq.foot ready to fly. EG 40" span, 9" chord gives 360sq. inches or 2.5 sq. feet. That means a maximum flying weight of 10ozs (4 x 2.5). That can be broken down into an airframe mass of (say) 3ozs, battery mass (7 x 120mah nicads) of 2ozs, motor and prop 2.0ozs, radio (rx + 2 x 1/2oz servos + speed controller/BEC) 2ozs. All that adds up to only 9ozs – well under our target and very achievable with modern, reasonably priced gear and a scratch built model. A cheaper ferrite motor & gearbox will probably pull about 1.5 amps out of a 7 cell pack, so you will not get 15 minutes duration, but if you build it lighter, it will consume less power and fly longer. The rest is up to you – let us know how you get on.

Not an email, but some pictures of a parkflyer recently built by one of our local flyers, Geoff White. The model is the "Femto 400" that was published as a free plan in "Aviation Modeller International" (I think). It uses a Speed 400 with 3:1(?) gearbox and 7 x 600 nicads. Controls are ailerons, elevator and motor. It is Geoff’s first attempts at such a model, so it has had the inevitable few "arrivals", but both it and Geoff have kept on flying, and now they are a great match!

GW_femto1.jpg (36954 bytes)  GW_femtofly2.jpg (24734 bytes)  GW_femtofly3.jpg (14081 bytes)

This sort of model is about as simple as they get, utilizes gear that you can cannibalize from a small electric glider, and flies comfortably in less than ˝ a football field.

Touchdown

Don’t forget to email me. whadkins(at)ezonemag.com with all the SlowFly or ParkFly or electric free flight happenings in your part of the world. Next month, I’ll have coverage of the Australian Electric Flight Championships and maybe a little on the Australian Nats. Also, I’ll follow up with my experiences with "The Tiny" and some more results with the GWS propellers and propulsion sets.

That’s your SlowFly lot for this month - Thank you for joining me for this month’s tour of Wayne’s Indoor World. Until next month, wherever you may be on this SlowFly planet of ours, enjoy your aviation, do it low and slow, and most of all, HAVE FUN!!

See you all again next month - Take care friends.

Discussion

There are no posts