HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2002, 09:25 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Are there any Small High-Power motors for slow-flyers yet?

I can't wait for brushless motors or high power neodymium motors to hit the market! Are there any out there yet?!
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2002, 11:24 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Besides the Astro 010 and the Hacker B20 series? I hear MPJet has a small brushless in the works, as does Model Motors. These are all brushless. I don't know of any cobalt or neodymium brushed motors out there for 50-100W applications.....but there may be.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Apr 26, 2002, 11:37 PM
Gettin back into it!!
KY
Joined Apr 2002
489 Posts
Check out some threads on CDRom brushless motors. You may get very excited.

Here is a link to a site but it is in German.
http://mitglied.lycos.de/hestoeck/planes_cdr.html

Giovanni Day
Giovanni Day is offline Find More Posts by Giovanni Day
Old Apr 27, 2002, 02:45 AM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2002
167 Posts
The Jeti one shown is only 18grams compared to 49grams.Quite a difference I would think.That could be something to try in the Zero and my Hornet.
Inferno is offline Find More Posts by Inferno
Old Apr 28, 2002, 12:24 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Data on the Model Motors S300 sized brushless is now on their site - www.modelmotors.cz. Looks interesting, but I've heard they're almost as expensive as the Model Motor AXI outrunners so they'll be around $90-100 US. A bit pricey, if that is true.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old May 01, 2002, 08:41 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
The Hacker B20 short can series weigh only 1.8 ounces with a 4:1 gearbox. The Castle Phoenix 10 esc is only 0.3 ounces. That's a potent powerplant in a small package. I've run a 31S on 7x350 nicads and 7x720 nimhs and it swings a 10x4.7 prop at 5 amps, which is a comfortable rating for both motor and batteries. Seems to pull as well as a 4:1 geared 280 on 9-10 cells. Pulls better than any 010 geared combo we've yet tried, up to 10 cells. This would be for a rtf plane weight of 10-12 ounces, give or take. You said slowflyers, this may be more for parkflyers, but the line gets fuzzy between them. I'd love to see a brushless motor the size and weight of the GWS A-drive.

Marcus
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old May 01, 2002, 10:48 PM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
this is the spec right out of the hacker site
B20 31S+4:1G, w=1.8oz, pack=6 to 10 cells, 2 to 4 Amps, 9"x6" to 11"x6", price= $125.00
Tim2000 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2000
Old May 01, 2002, 11:40 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,783 Posts
anyone got motor constants for the MM 300 sized BL motors?
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old May 02, 2002, 08:48 AM
WA.
Joined Mar 2002
37 Posts
Has anyone heard about the dual GWS drives?

Carl Martin and myself have been testing the dual GWS A&B series motors for quite some time now. The motor/gear units we have been testing are laser cut and custom made units. GWS was supposed to come out with a production unit on the market but I have not heard any thing. I sure hope they do as the testing Carl and I have done proves out to be outstanding performance. Here is an example of what you could expect.
The photo below shows the twin drive unit mounted to our latest Fast Freddie kit that has been redesigned due to some input from John/Jack Tracey and some of the local indoor flyers in CT.
What we have found is for a reasonable cost you can get ten minutes of pure unlimited vertical performance. The B series dual drive swings a 13x9 GWS prop and runs off of the 720 x 8 cell NiMh battery pack with a Jeti 040 ESC. This combo is truly a huge power house with only a 3 amp draw in flight at full throttle. So if any one knows where to get GWS dual drives I sure would be happy to hear about it. The kit is available on a custom order basis and takes a few weeks to get cut and packaged. The kit was designed to except either a single GWS drive or simply undo one screw and slip on the Dual Drive for outstanding performance.
Chris Hansen @ Anything R/C
1822 E 40th
Spokane WA
99203 509-747-2526
http://www.anythingrc.com

Source for e-powered model aircraft, slow flyers, parkflyers and specialized modeling supplies including:
Laser cut kits, Propellers, Lite Wheels, Motor Mounts, Motors, ESC's, Radio Systems, Servos, NiCad and NiMh Batteries, Chargers, Covering Materials, Carbon fiber.
Specializing in micro and small electric powered radio controlled aircraft, parts and accessories designed and laser cut by
Carl E. Martin.
Anything R/C is offline Find More Posts by Anything R/C
Old May 02, 2002, 12:07 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,783 Posts
chris, that's VERY interesting. what's the AUW of that fast freddie? what kind of thrust is the motor producing? what's the peak current draw?
Last edited by Ben74; May 02, 2002 at 12:10 PM.
Old May 02, 2002, 06:51 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Where is that non-believer, Bleriot? If two small GWS motors work so well with one gearbox and prop, could other motors also be good candidates? Are we opening up a whole new field of testing? What would it look like to release smoke from two motors simultaneously? Calling Bleriot .....
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old May 02, 2002, 07:16 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
New ?

Not to burst any bubbles but the use of two electric motors geared to a single prop shaft is old hat in the fast electric boat field. Ed Hughey had a gear box to fit two 05 "car" motors to a single shaft on the market back in the 80's. Anyone who ever tried to beat Ed in a boat race knows that the setup can be made to work very well. Negatives? Twice the maintanance.
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old May 02, 2002, 08:16 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,783 Posts
todd's has had the dual N20 motor for a while. dunno if it's any good...
http://www.toddsmodels.com/smallbrushedmotors.htm
Old May 02, 2002, 08:37 PM
WA.
Joined Mar 2002
37 Posts
Fast Freddie weight and thrust data

The F.F. tips the scale at any where's from 8.5 to 9.5 oz, it has a 24" W.S. and 205 sqin. of wing area. It carries the 8x 720 Nimh cells or the 8x 350 nicads with ease. It slows down very nicely and handles like a dream in all transitional states right up to hover. It hovers best at about 80 degree angle instead of straight up and down but thats ok with me as I am not perfect at hovering anyway. It is amazing to see it go straight up though. I like it... The current draw on two GWS std dx wiper brush motors turning a 13x9 GWS prop at 2400 RPM is right at 5 amps. It is alot I know but trust me you DO NOT fly this one at full throttle for very long. In flight I know it is less and it only takes about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle to hover. It produces about 12.5 oz of static thrust on my thrust tower drawing these numbers listed above. I know the numbers a different for flight but it establishes a base line that we know... I have about 30 or so 10 minute flights on it so far and no problems with burning up motors yet... As I said earlier though I do not fly at full throttle for more then a few seconds at a time I also allow the motors to cool a little after a couple of minutes of hovering around by just flying straight and level of 30 seconds or so at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle settings. I am impressed with the performance so far, but we will have to wait and se what the other bata model builders / test pilots find out with theres before we go into any sort of limited productoin.

Chris,
Anything R/C is offline Find More Posts by Anything R/C
Old May 02, 2002, 09:39 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
A cheap 280 ($1.75) w 4:1 gears and 13x9 prop weighs less than a dual
IPS system and draws 4.65 amps and produces 12.6 oz. of static thrust on the same 8 nimhs.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA