SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Photo Gallery - January 2000

View photos of models sent in by our readers.

Splash

Do you want to see pictures of your airplanes in this space?  Email them to gallery(at)ezonemag.com!  Be sure to provide some kind of information about your airplane, including basics such as wing area, weight, and power system.

emaillab.gif (1621 bytes)

Subject: Nexus30 conversion
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999

A Nexus 30 converted to electric by Christian Bauer. I had the pleasure to make the maiden flight with this one. Power comes from 20 pieces RC2000 and a brushless Plettenberg HP300/20/A4 Heli. Flighttime was 6 minutes on 1600rpm. Christian called me the next day and told me he was getting 9 min. with 24 cells and more rpm... Then Christian was flying and I took some more pics.

enjoy!
h.

9948.jpg (24038 bytes)   994801.jpg (54347 bytes)

994802.jpg (15469 bytes)   994803.jpg (24642 bytes)

Subject: 10 cell D model '51
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999

Guys,

Read your site all the time and learn a lot.I was at the Mid-America meet   and had a great time.Enclosed are some photos of my newest project.

Basic specs.....49" span,around 400 squares,scale outline right down to the  stab size right from the 3 view.Power is Magnetic Mayhem standard rotation   w/olympus belt drive,and 10, 800(yes, 800)MaH cells, aaand wieght is an ounce shy of 3 lbs.Uses aileron , elevator, and Astro  speed control. and 10 -8 MAS prop.Flight is super!A nice soft hand launch is  all it needs.I think an airplane ought to able to geet off the ground with a  simple hand launch, its much easier than messing about with bungees and the  such.(theres hand holds under the CG)Very scale like in flight with an  almost unbelieveable glide,no tip stalls, no vices( and only 1/8 th "   washout!)Truly a super flying airplane !Those interested can contact me via   e-mail.

Mark Rittinger,31900 29 Mile Rd, Lenox, MIi, 48048, USA
mrittinger70(at)hotmail.com

over water copy.jpg (35872 bytes)   strafing run copy.jpg (44423 bytes)

Subject: speed400 stuff
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999

Steve,

I'm tying to get a few photos of my speed 400 projects to you. Again, I hope they make it.  The P-40 and the Python P-51 are both using a speed 400 6V motor, with 7-600 mah cells, and have 29 " spans. With three channel radios, they weigh 16 and 15.5 ozs respectively. They both fly great, and I get about 5.5 minutes flying time on each, flying full bore all the time. The P(F)-82 is using two 6V speed 400's,in parallel, off of 8-800 mah ar cells spinning 5x5 APC's.  It weighs 28 ozs ready to fly, and uses 3 channels,aileron elevator, and ESC.I've hit 7 minutes with this setup. While most people use a large pack of 1700's or such because they need full power all the time, the reason they need the full power is because they are hauling around a big pack!  I chose to go a different route, and cut out the weight of the big pack so I don't need full power to fly,and it works fine.  I have to throttle back right after hand launch because it relly scoots!Anyone intested again may contact me....

Thanks Mark

photos.jpg (62045 bytes)

Subject: valentine
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999

We are getting close to that dreaded I mean wonderful holiday called Valentine's Day. To make it truly momentous, build her something special. It is cheaper that jewelry! 50 cents of foamboard and a little gear laying around will keep you at least partially out of the dog house.

Mike
Insanediego
http://members.xoom.com/insandiego/RadioControlProjects.htm

heart.jpg (13509 bytes)

Subject: Ikarus Bleriot III
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999

Thought I'd send in a few nice pics taken last weekend of my Bleriot III. It is shown flying with the standard motor and geardrive, a Jeti 05 micro controller (which works wonderfully), Cirrus CS-21 servos, a Hitec 3-channel receiver, and a 7-cell NiMH pack. I switched from a 6-cell NiCad and have enjoyed improved flight performance and nearly double the flight time. A careful flight can be as long as 20 minutes.

Shown in one picture are a bunch of jaded gas-guys who seem to like electrics just fine, after all!  I work at a hobby shop in Chico, California, and it seems like one of those guys comes in to buy a Bleriot each time I take mine to the field!

This has been a truly fun airplane to own and really does fly great. I fly it at the schoolyard near my house all the time, which is why I bought it. It's great to have something portable, clean, and relaxing to fly. I have also flown it inside the basketball gym at Chico State University, which was a bit small but manageable, and fly it regularly at night under the local baseball field lights, which is a kick.

Mine came out under the advertised weight with no modifications other than judicious use of glue, and I added some elastic-cord wing wires which really dress the plane up. To anyone looking for a good slow/park airplane with minimal building, definitely check it out.

bleriot1.jpg (34504 bytes)   bleriot2.jpg (31524 bytes)   bleriot3.jpg (11725 bytes)

Subject: I/4 scale ryan
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999

Hi E Zone.

This is my first time submitting something. Ron Fikes has told me that you folks might be interested in some experimenting I have been doing.  I will keep this short for now. If you think it is worth an article I would be willing to put something together and mail it to you.  The pictures I have included are a scratch built 1/4 scale Ryan Brougham B-7. The plane has a 126" wing span and weights 19 lbs plus. The next piece of information is not a typo. The plane is powered by a Astro cobalt 90 direct drive on 16 cells. It is turning about 2000 rpm. The prop is hand carved out of bass wood and it is a 25-18. Oh yes, the plane flys great. The tail is up in 5' and off the ground in 25'.  My nephew is the one who started carving props with great results, so I thought I would give it a try. It wasn't all that bad. It is our belief that most props that are made are not for electric and not suitable for low rpm. With the new super gear boxes or cutting back on the cell, you can swing one large prop with a lot of pitch. My new airplane the Ryan has made me a firm believer. Oh yes, I'm flying the airplane on 2200 ma Nickel Hydride batteries. Thanks for your time and I hope this is of some interest for your web-site.

Jim Collin
E-mail jbcollin(at)worldnet.att.net

Ryan.jpg (61754 bytes)   Ryan2.jpg (69209 bytes)

Subject: My Planes
Date: 7 December 1999

Steve,

Here are some pictures of my planes for the E-Zone Reader's Models Column:

Picture #24A is my design indoor/outdoor slow flyer, "Tiny Moo".   It has a 36" span, 6 3/4" chord, Speed 280 direct-drive with Kyosho EP4 prop, Tetra receiver, 7 cell 110 mAh battery pack, CS-20 servos, covering from Model Research Labs (doculam?}, Jeti 05 ESC, and a RTF weight of 8 ounces.  It could have been built lighter, but I wanted to use off-the-shelf equipment and it is heavy enough to allow flying outside in lightwinds.  The name comes from the black and natural wood finish (and the pink udder between the servos); it is not a Gateway product!

Picture #14A is my design, "WINGlet-2".  It is the latest in a line of tail-less sport flyers.  Span 32 1/2", chord 8 1/2".  The wing has been swept, the fuselage shortened and slimmed, the fin changed, the elevons widened, and the wingtips changed.  The original WINGlet flew well; this one is even better.  Like the first one, this version also uses a Speed 400 6V motor, 7 cell 500Ar battery pack, 6x3 Graupner folding prop, Jeti 10 ESC, Cirrus CS-20 servos.  The weight came out at 15.5 ounces RTF.  This picture is before the skin was applied; you can see it is built using an old fashioned technique - WOOD!  I used Ultracote for covering on this one.

Pictures #12B and 23B are of the "WINGlet-2" covered, just down from a flight.  The circles on the bottom of the wing are for orientation- tail-less aeroplanes are hard to see in the sky.  If you look up and don't see the dots, you are upside down!

Ron Fikes
4074 Solana Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94306

TinyMoo.jpg (41624 bytes)   Winglet-bottom.jpg (15091 bytes)

Winglet-framed.jpg (49191 bytes)  Winglet-top.jpg (12107 bytes)

Subject: ROBIN 280 21" Micro Electric Heli Release
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000

Dear E-Zone:

Attached are two photos of the newly released ROBIN 280 Electric Micro helicopter for Indoor and Outdoor (calm weather) flying.

We at MIA Micro-Flight are extremely excited about this product as it sets a new standard in micro electric helicopter development. This is the product of Mario I. Arguello's devotion to small electric helicopters and particular attention to detail and realism.

We have placed a good effort into making this heli as simple to assemble and fly. Rotor diameter is 21" and flying weight is around +/- 7.5 ounces, depending on type of on board equipment used.

For more information please visit: http://micro-flight.com

Cordially,

Sylvia C. Arguello (MIA Micro Flight)

r28011.jpg (12371 bytes)   r2804.jpg (10557 bytes)

Subject: Slow Flyer
Date:

Thanks to Wayne’s World, I got very excited about Slow Flyers. After some research, I decided to build one. Because I do not own any Sub-micro gear (yet) , my plane is a little on the big side. It flies very well and I have about 50 flights to date with it. Most of them are in the street in front of my house. ROG is about 8 feet, climbs at about 45 degrees, cruises at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, with flight times around 10 minutes.

The gearbox is a "Modelair-tech GB-50". I reduced the size of the main shaft and replaced the gears with servo gears to create a 3.3:1 reduction. Then glued it to the front of the Speed 280 motor. It is very smooth and quite. I use an APC 10*4.7 or 9*6 Slowfly prop. For batteries, 6*500 AR’s (5 oz) or 7*270 ma (3.2 oz) , work well.

The fuse is a tapered, spiral wound carbon, kite spar (G-Force Model number :Skinny ). Wing is 2 pieces of .06 * 40" carbon rod .Tails are .05 rod , pushrods .03 rod. The covering is Cello-Wrap by Hygloss Products @ 99 cents per roll (20" * 5 ft). Found it at a crafts store. I used thread and carpet thread for all bindings. For travel, the wing unplugs from the two vertical tubes on the fuse, and the full flying stab and rudder are removable.

Some Details:

The plane:

• Wing span 38.5" with 12" cord. (1 oz)
  • Stab 18" * 7"
  • Total Length 39"
  • Weight (less batteries) is 5.5 oz.
  • With batteries 9 to 10.5 oz.

The gear:

• Motor: S280 geared 3.3:1
  • Servos: S80’s
  • Receiver: RCD 535
  • ESC: FMA Mini 05

Airframe cost around $20.

Here are the sites I used for reference to build my "slowfly"

http://hem.passagen.se/johanbju/byggtips_eng.htm  
http://home.t-online.de/home/e-huber/nextgene.htm  
http://home.t-online.de/home/e-huber/plan.htm   (above site in German, better pictures)
http://ezonemag.com/articles/1998/jul/wiw/wiw0798.htm

All Carbon is from HANG-EM HIGH FABRICS (a kite shop and Very nice people).

http://www.citystar.com/hang-em-high/cat-index.html

DC2.jpg (47410 bytes)    DC3.jpg (41822 bytes)

Motor.jpg (58989 bytes)   Tail.jpg (28750 bytes)

Subject:
Date:

cubs-28.jpg (36203 bytes)

This is the gang from Den 4, Cub Scout Pack 712, Wakefield, Mass. At their December 14 meeting they had an introductory talk about airplanes, a demo of electric r/c flying and then they each got to assemble their very own Stinger balsa glider.

You can see more pictures of the Den 4 troops and of their cool Stinger planes in the KidZone column.

Discussion

There are no posts