HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:27 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2004
430 Posts
Fliers in Los Altos area please keep an eye out for FVK Signal

Plane probably flew all the way to half moon bay, but it could've gone down near the field too (Rancho park). Lost track of it in the sky. Nothing in the world can justify my sheer idiocy today. The weather was fine, the plane is slow, large, and easy to see, and god doesn't hate me. I'm an idiot. That's all there is to it.

$300 compensation for anyone that finds it. I'm sure it's a lost cause, but there's no harm in asking I suppose.

I'm off to wallow in my own self hate now.

Geoff Akerlund is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Akerlund
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2005, 05:35 PM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
280 Posts
Quote:
Lost track of it in the sky
If it's any consolation, this happened to me too. Clear day, just a few other planes up, and suddenly "where the heck is it?!".

I cut the throttle and pumped the elevator a bit... after a while I went looking, and would you believe it, I found it sitting in a field on its landing gear. It would have been fine too, if it hadn't been for the barbed wire fence it went through. Still, fuse was A-ok, wing was damaged so I just order a new one (this was a foam core balsa covered wing). I sure hope you find yours, if only to make you feel a bit less foolish It helped in my case!
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:00 AM
GO!!!
Eastern edge of the pond
Joined Mar 2003
284 Posts
On Sunday we had a flyaway at my club. The model was a Filip 600 whose rudder failed. The model was in a gentle turn and just circled it's was out of sight. I arranged to go looking for it in a flexwing microlight yesterday and found it within fifteen minutes! The flexwing was a great observation platform as it flew nice and slowly over the area at one thousand feet altitude and being a microlight it wasn't expensive. So I suggest that you try the same thing, it sure won't cost three hundred dollars.
Garvey is offline Find More Posts by Garvey
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:00 PM
I AM A ROCKET SCIENTIST!
Meridianville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2004
163 Posts
What is a flexwing microlight? Is it and ultralight that you paid somebody to take you up in? Just curious. Thanks!
rocketdude821 is offline Find More Posts by rocketdude821
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:40 AM
GO!!!
Eastern edge of the pond
Joined Mar 2003
284 Posts
This is it. I guess from your question that classification of this type of aircraft varies from country to country.
Garvey is offline Find More Posts by Garvey
Old Aug 01, 2005, 12:49 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2004
430 Posts
I'm not sure an ultralight would be feasible in my case. I dunno what the laws or regulations are like in Santa Clara county, and learning to fly one/brining one to the flying field would be difficult. Plus, the area where it could've crashed is far and wide. I figure it could've floated for several miles before crashing. Or maybe it landed closer, I really don't know. Problem is I'm assuming it went with the wind, but it really could've landed anywhere.

This should give you an idea of the area. As you can see it's densly wooded with a large rock quarry to the southwest.

Here's a rough sketch of where I think it could've landed. This is assuming it did not fly very far.
Geoff Akerlund is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Akerlund
Old Aug 07, 2005, 01:16 AM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,149 Posts
Did you have any form of I.D on the plane (AMA number, phone number and reward indication)? I didn't until I thought I was going to lose one of mine. Anyway, I hope the RC gods were just screwing with you and you find it soon.

Keith
kwmtrubrit is online now Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Aug 07, 2005, 02:57 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
My gun club is near there but probably w/o a view to your plane.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp