Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:46 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Canada Fishing Trip Wabakimi Lake AP and AV

Hey guys, I just got back not even 5 hours ago from my fishing trip to Canada. We drove up to International Falls, and hoped across the boarder where we took a float plane to Wabakimi Lake 250 miles north into the canadian wilderness. It was great. No civilization for miles, and a great cabin. There was a VERY limited landing strip as you can see with the pics of the cabin. But every landing was perfect and no damage was done. My biggest fish was a 25 inch Northern Pike weighing about 4 pounds. Although, fish up to 45 inches and 20 pounds have been cought in the lake. Enough talk, here are some pics and a video (8 MB)
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:53 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Here are a few more misc pics.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:44 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
Wow! Gorgeous, pictures! My grandfather use to go to Canada once a year and fly in to a cabin. I think that would would be a wonderful vacation!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:46 PM
back to it
Iowa
Joined May 2003
187 Posts
Very nice photos...awesome location. My type of scenery...nothing but tall pines. See any bear or moose around?
thinkng is offline Find More Posts by thinkng
Old Jul 23, 2005, 01:04 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quailbird: Thanks! My Grandpa and Uncle go up together to this lake every year. I envy them. This was my first time, and it was an amazing vacation.

Thanks Thinkng, those forests are impossible to navigate. I couldn't explore the woods beccause of the density. I was disspointed there were no moose or bear Altough, the logbook in the cabin says there was a bear hanging around the outhouse a week or two before we got there.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 01:43 PM
Walla Walla
Joined May 2002
2,639 Posts
What a cool place! Great pics too. Were there other people around on the lake? What elevation is the lake property? Where is all the hills?
Looks so much different than forested areas around here.. I need to take a trip in to Canada. Looks great.
lvspark is offline Find More Posts by lvspark
Old Jul 23, 2005, 01:45 PM
Walla Walla
Joined May 2002
2,639 Posts
BTW, you are one lucky dog that nothing went wrong
A lake on one side, and an endless forest on the other..
Your either real brave or just stupid!
lvspark is offline Find More Posts by lvspark
Old Jul 23, 2005, 02:54 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
It's good to get away from everything and enjoy "peace". What kind of fish are in those lakes? Pike and Trout I'm sure, do they have Bass. How cold is the water in the summer time?
Old Jul 23, 2005, 05:44 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
lvsPark: We didn't see other people on the lake until the last day. There are 2 other cabins on the lake. We went with Rusty Myers outfitters. www.rustymyers.com . Great cabin. The elevation of the cabin was 1153 feet As measured with a GPS there are hills. Just not many. I think a mix of bravery and stupidity would be more like it Nothing went wrong so all is OK

quail: The peace and solitude was well worth the trip alone. There are only 2 main fish in the lake. Walleye and Northern Pike. There might be some kind of lake trout, but we never cought any. Of all of us, (8 people) we only caught northern and walleye. Biggest Northern was 26 inches and biggest walleye we caught was around 20 inches.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 05:53 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
Goooood eatin'!
Old Jul 23, 2005, 07:23 PM
I fly low, I'm in high demand
Smithtown, NY
Joined Jul 2003
848 Posts
Outstanding job Kyle !!!
birdman11787 is offline Find More Posts by birdman11787
Old Jul 23, 2005, 08:48 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
Nice pictures, Kyle. Thanks for posting these. I've taken many trips to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area on the border between the U.S. and Canada. Your pictures reminded me of those trips. Good times and beautiful scenery!

Lew
L Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by L Jenkins
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:37 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
Goooood eatin'!
Good eatin' is right had the fish ready to eat 15 minutes after they were pulled from the water. Talk about freshness.

Thanks Lew and Birdman! Lew I've vaguely heard my uncle talk about Bounty Waters. Hear its a nice place.

Here are some more pics from the trip some AP some not
Photo Album

Tomorrow morning I leave for Devils Lake. Where I plan to get even more Aerial photos!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:39 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Fantastic location! I really enjoyed your video. What is the orange shape in the lake between the log cabin and the island? Is it shallow rocks or lake weed? I read that you said the woods were too dense to go exploring in but I got the opposite impression from the video. Was there a lot of undergrowth? I suppose what I saw was just the tips of the tallest trees spaced farther apart which is misleading me.
No electricity there I suppose? Was there a generator? What did you do for charging lipos?
This time last year I had a fishing holiday in the Marlbourgh sounds in New Zealand staying at a place only accessable by boat. Its certainly a great way to relax and get away from it all!
Johnnz is offline Find More Posts by Johnnz
Old Jul 24, 2005, 07:18 AM
Joined Aug 2004
26 Posts
Really nice photos Kyle! Looks like a fantastic place to go. What camera were you using for that shoot?
-Gerry
VagabondAero is offline Find More Posts by VagabondAero