HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2005, 03:07 PM
Tipp City, OH
Joined Jun 2005
9 Posts
Any plane suitable for an 8 year old?

I am new to RC planes. I recently bought a Multiplex Easystar and I am enjoying the hobby alot. I have two boys, ages 6 and 8 and I would like to buy a plane for them to fly.

Although the Easystar is a good starter plane, I believe it is too complicated for 6 and 8 year olds.

I am considering a Hobbico Sky Zap 2. Is this a suitable plane or can anyone recommend a better alternative?

Thanks for the help!
barmentr is offline Find More Posts by barmentr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2005, 03:08 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
GWS slow stick
Diddlebug from Stevens Aero...

MIke
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2005, 03:10 PM
Spring time, planes bloom
near UNC Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2003
1,787 Posts
I'd go for a Frog you can get it at www.foamfly.com really simple to buid, fly and fix, and since this is a pusher might be a safe plane for them

Good luck.
ecologito is offline Find More Posts by ecologito
Old Jul 22, 2005, 03:25 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
Mountain Models Magpie.

Stevens Aero Squirt

Foamtastic Park Shark (8-year old boys will particularly like that one.. (-
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:44 PM
Do I have to?!
Chanute Johnson, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2004
275 Posts
All good planes above,but my favorite(the one I started on)Is a firebird commander.
Here is a link!linky!
catcher is offline Find More Posts by catcher
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:11 PM
MRD
MR DAD
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Joined Feb 2005
254 Posts
My 7 year old likes to fly the gws slow stick. Nice and slow plane very large lots of lift oh and very easy to repair when crashed.
MRD is offline Find More Posts by MRD
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:44 AM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Do your boys play video games????? If so then put them on the free simulator such as FMS or one of the other sims and see how they handle that. You might be suprised to find that the younger generation is much better at hobbies such as this because of the video games they play.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Jul 23, 2005, 03:22 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
The Multiplex Teddy and Pico Cub are excellent models for that age group. My boy was just about seven when he had his first flights on the Teddy and then moved on to the Pico Cub when the time came for him to learn to take off from the ground.

What is it about the Easystar that you are finding too complex for them?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 23, 2005, 05:25 AM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
Maybe the Mini Super Sonic would be good. Similar capabilities as the Sky Zap i believe and the added advantage is that you quickly recharge the plane using the transmitter in 5 min to get in lots of flights in a day. Also almost indestructible as you can let go of the sticks with the plane 100 feet in the air and providing there is no obstacles on it's decent, will have smooth landing.
3d-flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3d-flyer
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:55 PM
Tipp City, OH
Joined Jun 2005
9 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into all of the above planes.

Rat...yes, the boys do video games. I downloaded FMS the other day and they have taken to it very quickly.

Leccyflyer... while the Easystar is simple to fly, its also simple to crash. I thought I might find something slower, something that doesn't turn very sharp or dive/climb too quickly. I suppose I could change the setup on the Easystar to limit the amount of rudder and elevator travel to make the plane more stable...

Thanks again.

Brent
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:29 AM
Spring time, planes bloom
near UNC Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2003
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmentr
Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into all of the above planes.

Rat...yes, the boys do video games. I downloaded FMS the other day and they have taken to it very quickly.

Leccyflyer... while the Easystar is simple to fly, its also simple to crash. I thought I might find something slower, something that doesn't turn very sharp or dive/climb too quickly. I suppose I could change the setup on the Easystar to limit the amount of rudder and elevator travel to make the plane more stable...

Thanks again.

Brent
Good observations, I still believe that the foamfly frog is a good option, slow to fly, you can set it up with a cheap J-250 and has a very safe prop since it's a pusher.
ecologito is offline Find More Posts by ecologito
Old Jul 25, 2005, 05:09 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
My son was 8 when he flew my TwinStar (see avitar) - he's "playstation generation" and I put him on FMS for a while and then let him take the sticks. After some 'over-control' moments he was fine with it ! Oddly enough, he was bored quite quickly by it

You may be surprised.

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Jul 25, 2005, 09:43 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,057 Posts
I'll second the frog. One of the most docile planes around when using an IPS motor. Many new pilots find they can keep this one in the air after struggling with other starter planes.
The 250 is a nice upgrade if the slow speed becomes boring. I even used a 300 on 8 nimhs in one, first plane with vertical power I had.

If you get into trouble with it, just let go of the sticks and it will quickly self right. Landings can be learned at a slow pace. Just chop the throttle and it does the rest.

If plans are purchased, it may be a good idea to build the first as a glider. Use magnet wire to create adjustable R/E, add noseweight to get the CG, and they can practice launching and even looping it. Kids this age may prefer gliders at first. As they near exhaustion, then they may see the beauty of R/C.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:02 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,647 Posts
The T-Hawk from www.readytoflyfun.com is a great plane to start out with. It's EXTREMELY durable (I know, I've crashed it many times) and also is a great value with all the spare parts it comes with. Plus, unlike the Hobbyzone Firebird and Aerobird planes, all the electronics can be removed and transfered to another plane.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Jul 26, 2005, 04:19 PM
Tipp City, OH
Joined Jun 2005
9 Posts
Trainer Box?

As I've been considering all of the advise above, it occurred to me that maybe I should simply get a trainer box setup for my current plane and then I could let the boys try the Easystar.

The radio I have is a Hitec Neon. I can order a trainer plug and switch option for the radio from Tower Hobbies for ~$18.

What else would I need besides adding the trainer plug & switch? Do I need another radio on the same frequency that is equipped with a trainer plug? Do I need a special cable to connect the two?

If I need another radio, I would eventually be buying one for the boys anyway. It seems like this might be the best way to start out.

Thanks again for all of the help.