HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

The Scale Builder's Workshop Video Tips -- July 2005 -- Planking Compound Curves -- b

This is the first of a series of modeling and bulding techniques presented in video format. This video focuses on planking compound curves for interesting scale projects.

Splash

Introduction

Let me start by introducing myself. I'm Jim Young and I live in Brighton, Michigan. I started serious R/C modeling back in college twenty years ago when I built a .40 size trainer on my dorm room desk (much to the dismay of my roommate). Prior to that I had dabbled with R/C boats and cars and had attempted an R/C glider that never quite got off the ground. Prior to that, as a kid I took a community education class where the guy who eventually taught me to fly R/C, taught me to build rubber powered models (thanks Barry). Even before that, my dad had helped me to build stick and tissue models. As far as I can tell, I've always loved airplanes and building things.

I'm of the opinion that if you give a man an ARF, he will fly for a day, but teach a man to build and he will fly for a life time. What I would like to accomplish with this column is to present building tips and techniques so that you may be inspired to try your hand at building and not buying. I tend to learn new things easier if someone shows me rather than reading about them in a book or magazine, and I suspect some of you are this way too. The E-Zone provides a perfect forum for presenting video material. So, let's get started...

Planking Compound Surfaces

This month's workshop is on planking compound surfaces. Many planes can be approximated with slab sides and some carved balsa block. However, sooner or later you'll be struck by some sexy plane with a lot of curves that you just have to model. To duplicate this beauty, you'll need to get normally flat balsa to conform to complex shapes. Now, you could fall back to carving block balsa, but lighter usually flies better, so why not try planking?

Here are a few of my latest subjects that I've had to use some type of planking to achieve an accurate and light structure:

There are a few tricks to planking and it does require a bit of patience. Here is one way of getting the jobs done easily and quickly...

Downloads

Quick Tip of the Month

Installing a canopy to a model can be one of the most frustrating tasks of finishing a model. If you use one of the canopy glues, you need to hold the canopy in place while the glue sets up. And there is always one spot that you can't get to lay down properly with tape and rubber bands. CA glues (even odorless) will fog up an otherwise clear canopy. So, what do you do? Here is a quick tip on installing canopies...

Downloads

Conclusion

I hope you will find this series helpful. I welcome any comments and suggestions for future topics. Until next time, dust off that workbench and start making some new dust! We'll see you next time in the scale builder's workshop.

Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:37 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2003
387 Posts
Well, I'm sure the videos would be great and a good idea except my Macintosh does't like those files. Any chance of offering Mac compatible files as well?
Discharger is offline Find More Posts by Discharger
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:47 AM
Mad Max meets the Thinker
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Apr 2004
569 Posts
WMV - ugh

WMV is a proprietary format (aka Microsoft format) if someone could would they put these in an AVI container use Divx Xvid or some MP4 codec with MP3 audio compression? This is the most generic encoding I can think of.

Cyb
Cyberman is offline Find More Posts by Cyberman
Old Jul 22, 2005, 05:16 AM
Joined Mar 2002
14 Posts
Jim,

I found your video instruction very informative and I think itīs a great idea to start a series on all kinds of construction techniques. To see what to do AND hearing what to do at the same time is a very effective way of learning. Pictures are good, but video is better. Also, liked your work shop arrangement, even makes me a bit envious!

By the way, you do well on video, personally I probably couldnīt do it, much too shy and definately no performer .

Best regards from Finland!

Cheers, Ken
Ken M is offline Find More Posts by Ken M
Old Jul 22, 2005, 07:10 AM
georgetown ontario
Joined Jul 2001
389 Posts
I think your video was great I am glad to see that I am not the only one who " leaves a pound of flesh" when building
Keep the videos comming. I would really like to see one on covering.

Tom
Tree_Magnet is offline Find More Posts by Tree_Magnet
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:01 PM
y_g
Tel Aviv
Joined Mar 2004
245 Posts
I second Tom,
This was a great video. Now, lets see how you cover one of these curved models so perfectly...This is something I have yet to master...

Also, is the H-1 a kit? if so who makes it? if not where did you get the plans for it? I have an itch...

Yariv
y_g is offline Find More Posts by y_g
Last edited by y_g; Jul 22, 2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:11 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,744 Posts
Hi All,

First, I'm sorry about the video format. I've been posting that type with all of my articles and this is the first complaint. I'll see if I can get an MPEG output from my software and repost it.

I have given several workshops on covering and with do one here in the future.

The H-1 (and Comet) are my own design and will be published in RCM as soon as I complete the article and a few more construction photos. The prototype has been flying for a few months now and is a real hoot!

Thanks for the kind words,

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:21 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
264 Posts
Great Video - Thanks

Hi

What a great video! I am looking forward to all the ones yet to come. You asked for suggestions for future videos and I believe that I have one. I would like to see an instruction video on creating clear canopies. Not being able to create these is the main reason that I have not yet attempted to build my favourite planes from plans.

Thanks again.

Jim Connell
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jim Connell is offline Find More Posts by Jim Connell
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:50 AM
Joined Feb 1999
3,415 Posts
Great Idea nicely done Jim.

Already started a CD libray on this one. Be great for being able to go back and check.

Cheers Sluf7.
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Jul 23, 2005, 02:55 AM
Joined Jan 2005
18 Posts
I get the audio but the video is nothing but an ever changing light show, sez: ambieance; water. What's with that????????

Tom
F1Tom is offline Find More Posts by F1Tom
Old Jul 23, 2005, 04:34 AM
y_g
Tel Aviv
Joined Mar 2004
245 Posts
Could you post the plans? If the yare for sale I would be more than happy to pay for them. Do you think it's possible to up-scale them towards a 60" wingspan plane?
Thanks

Yariv
y_g is offline Find More Posts by y_g
Old Jul 23, 2005, 06:26 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,744 Posts
Hi All,

Jim: Great idea, I just went through creating the canopy for the DH-88 Comet. I learned a lot with that and got some help from a few friends on that.

Tom: The video was created with Windows Movie Maker running on XP. I'm not sure what is wrong with your setup, but try downloading the latest Windows Media Player. I'm working on posting other formats that may be more compatible, or I'll have to get some new video editing software.

Keep the ideas coming...

-Jim
Old Jul 23, 2005, 08:16 PM
georgetown ontario
Joined Jul 2001
389 Posts
What about vacu forming your parts I have a few parts to make and think they would be perfect if I knew how to do it.
I have read many articles on vacu forming and have a pretty good idea but a video is worth a thousand words ( if you can talk that much) lol

Tom
Tree_Magnet is offline Find More Posts by Tree_Magnet
Old Aug 01, 2005, 08:15 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Jim,
Great job on the video. I only wish I had seen it before I attempted your Ellipse several years ago!

I have an idea for an upcoming installment. In this video you mention that a newbie might want to use slightly thicker balso for the planks to reduce the likelyhood of sanding through it. Could you do a video on how to repair that eventuality? I have come close several times and I shudder at the thought of actually going too far through. I would not know a good idea for how to fix that.

Thanks again,
Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Aug 02, 2005, 05:20 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,744 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks so far on all of the feedback on the video. You've got some great ideas and I hope to get to all of them. Judging by the response so far, we're going to try to make this a monthly column, so keep the ideas coming.

I'm still working on the video formats, and hopefully I'll have a solution soon.

Joe, How is your Ellipse flying? Mine got mid-aired a few years back and I haven't had a chance to go back and rebuild it. It was a nice flying plane.

-Jim