HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2005, 01:04 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Palm Springs, CA
Joined Mar 2005
26 Posts
Whoops!
new need for micro rc/ plantraco butterfly

Well, I have been reading post in this forum for some time, curious and intigued by micro indoor flight, but now I have found a new personal need for indoor flight. On July 2nd I was involved in a very serious accident leaving my pelvis in 4 pieces, 5 fractured vertabrae, and in a wheelchair for a minimum of 3 months. I am expected to have a full recovery, however, I am trapped indoors quite a bit and unable to go to the flying fields to fly my regular planes (gws a-10, kinkade ornithopter, etc.). The house that I am staying in has a huge living room so I am now just trying to figure out how to save money (not allowed to work for some time) and selling anything I can find so that I can purchase the plantraco butterfly so that I can get my rc fix. Now, instead of just being recreational, indoor micro flight will be theraputic release for me as well. I will probably have many questions here in the near future for I plan to try to build some gullows kits as well, (nice price for the kits) to help spend some of my extra time. I plan on reading thread after thread on all these conversions, (i do have 2 bit cars) so that may get me started as well. I look forward to working with all of you, from the threads that I have read so far you are all so helpful, and I am a newbie to all of this micro stuff. My only down side is that with all the pain medications i am on, it does affect my reading comprehension over long periods of time. So if anyone has any suggestions of where to start with easy, inexpensive bit car conversion it would be greatly appreciated. thank you so much all ready.

Jason
early bird is offline Find More Posts by early bird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2005, 01:18 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
I'll send you a big discount coupon - hope it makes it possible for you to get a Butterfly.
Plantraco is offline Find More Posts by Plantraco
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2005, 01:29 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Palm Springs, CA
Joined Mar 2005
26 Posts
Thank you so much for this coupon offer, this does help a lot. I will be contacting you very soon. I can't believe a company would do this, you truely are a remarkable person. I have always said it is not always the product, but the customer service, and if this is any indication to your customer service, there are going to be a lot of very happy people out there working with you and your products. Thank you again.

Jason
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:29 PM
Food For The Maggots
New Waverly,Texas
Joined May 2004
526 Posts
Ah man,That sucks, Hope your doing well. Plantraco is awesome for doing this. You guys rock.
speeddemon281 is offline Find More Posts by speeddemon281
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:50 PM
Omaha, Ne
Joined Sep 2004
277 Posts
Hey Plantraco well done guys! This mite be a stupid question but do you have a web site and if so whats the address.
Bigrc2 is offline Find More Posts by Bigrc2
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:37 PM
Atlanta, GA metro area (Marietta)
Joined May 2002
29 Posts
Plantraco:

What an outstanding gesture. I've been looking at your stuff and this might just be the extra push I needed to buy some of it. Loved your full-page ad in the recent issue of Backyard Flyer. How did you guys all of a sudden get into the micro field? Is there a story behind it?

Al
ahearn is offline Find More Posts by ahearn
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:59 PM
this place rocks!!!
albuquerque,nm
Joined May 2005
223 Posts
dude sweet would you recomend this for a first time tiny flyer.....
wannafly1 is offline Find More Posts by wannafly1
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:40 AM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahearn
Plantraco:

What an outstanding gesture. I've been looking at your stuff and this might just be the extra push I needed to buy some of it. Loved your full-page ad in the recent issue of Backyard Flyer. How did you guys all of a sudden get into the micro field? Is there a story behind it?

Al
We have been working on it for a long time, but we didn't want to spill the beans until we had something ready for market. We didn't come up with all this stuff overnight, it does take time and money and desire.

Well, it's a very long story. This has been our "company" dream at Plantraco for 10 years - actually our 10 year anniversary (in radio control) is coming up in just a few months! It has been a lifelong personal dream for myself ever since I watched the Bugs Bunny show with those fantastic ACME corp guided missles used by Wiley E Coyote and that one cartoon with Foghorn Leghorn and the kid who makes the radio controlled paper airplane. You remember the one? Everyone has seen that. Mix that in with a few too many episodes of "Get Smart", "Man from UNCLE", "Mission Impossible", "Forest Rangers" and you end up with a desire for cool toys.

We had a lot of desire for Micro Flight, that's for sure!

We started with our R/C Airships (Twin-Turbofan, Tri-Turbofan and now the MicroBlimp). This did (does) allow room flyling, and the long Saskatchewan winters made us instant believers in our own indoor flying products of course. We had such good success that we were able to continue to invest in the research and development of new dream products that had never been seen before. (check out our Desktop Rover with laser tag and PTV wireless videocam, and telepresence internet capable telecommander sofware control system). The sales of our products help to finance our research and development of more new products. We figure that if we want it, and build it, that others will want it too. (Thank goodness for the internet and our website http://www.plantraco.com ).

We received samples of some of the earliest Kokam cells from Korea and realized that lithium power could change everything for electric flight, so we started working on a charger and a "micro" receiver in our DSP4-SC. Our intention was to release a RTF park flyer with this receiver. We still might do that, but we were learning along the way and realized that the limiting factor was not going to be the cells or the motors, it really came down to actuators and receivers. So we built some interesting muscle wire actuators, thought about magnetic actuators. We worked on direct conversion receivers, super-regen receivers, single conversion receivers with no big front end filters etc etc. In 2004 we were primed and ready for moving to 900Mhz, and saw the potential for reliable sub gram receivers that would surely make our company stand out from all others - which helps us a lot to promote our products (ie: it helps when you have the smallest, lightest, most reliable, easiest, lowest price - superlatives in the spec sheet should make a winning marketing plan, was our thinking).

We have a lot of capabilities and have some depth, so we can pick the good projects and try to do our best to bring things to reality. We love what we do - we started this business because it's what we would like to do for the rest of our lives even if we were not paid to do it. When you love your job, every day is a good day. We have made mistakes along the way for sure, but hopefully we have learned from these - it's called experience, and we have some of that. All along we have tried to think of our customers and give them what they could not easily get. "Ready To Fly Right Now" has always been our focus for our products. We try to bring something that was very difficult to achieve until the arrival of our product. We try to get rid of the intimidation and replace it with instant gratification. The Butterfly is exactly such a product - only a few years ago the Butterfly might have seemed a decade away. Now you can have it even if you have no idea how to build much less fly a micro model.

We have a good team of experts working with Plantraco, and they also share my vision for the company. We try to get the right experts to help us, we often know that we need a certain skill that we don't have, and when that happens, we find that expert and show them what we have and what we need to go forward, and once they see that we are for real, they are often eager to work with us. It's interesting stuff, so I think we are able to capture the imagination of our own team as well as the end user of the products we are creating. Also I should mention that there are a lot of very serious micro R/C enthusiasts out there that have bent over backwards to help us along.

Many companies see the Micro R/C market as a tiny market that is not worth chasing. We don't care how small it is, we want to do it, and we believe that we will make the market grow if neccessary! This sure did happen with our R/C airships - we sold many, and brought more smiles to the world than I ever could have dreamed. If you check the history of model airplanes, (talk to the old guys, they are full of good info), it seems like a revival of small model aircraft has always been one of the ultimate achievements. We predict a big revival of small low cost model airplane building. Kids are dying to get involved, they just don't know where to turn to find out how to do it. I learned all my model rocketry from a book by R.L Stine (I think that was his name - great author!) - now kids might learn the same things for Micro R/C right here - RCGroups has a critical mass of Micro R/C enthusiasts that can't be ignored. Gameboy and Nintendo can't compare to Micro R/C, and once you have some gear, you can build for pennies. When we sell enough gear, the prices can come down too.

There is a lot more, but I guess that is a little bit of our company story without getting into too many details.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Plantraco; Jul 22, 2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:51 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
Well done Platraco! good and nice gesture!
good recovery and get well soon early bird!

Roger
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Jul 22, 2005, 08:51 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Palm Springs, CA
Joined Mar 2005
26 Posts
Again I must thank Plantraco for this incredible gesture. Just so everyone knows, I took advantage of this offer right away, and currently waiting on the edge of my seat for UPS to arrive. Customer service is something that is very important to me, and Plantraco has just demonstrated theirs to me. I will be a customer for life. I will post more after I recieve it, and post the first flight. Thank you all for your kind words.

Jason
Old Jul 22, 2005, 02:42 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
Very Cool Bud/plantraco/ I am very impressed
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
Old Jul 22, 2005, 04:33 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Palm Springs, CA
Joined Mar 2005
26 Posts
what a great time

i have recieved my butterfly, and i have been flying it around my living room. what an amazing little plane. it is a little bit faster and twitchier than expected, but a great flying machine all around. i have crashed it, and it was ready for more. the only thing i did notice upon arrival was that the rudder seems to have a warp in it. maybe this is how it is supposed to be, not sure. it seems to have a slight turn due to this. maybe the balsa got hot in transport and warped a little. if this is the case, any suggestions how to unwarp.

also having troubles with the FMS software, it keeps crashing and closing the program when i change planes or crash a plane. couldn't download the butterfly for it either. these are minor things.

This plane really does rock. I will be in a large hanger this weekend for a short time. i hope to fly it in there. about the size of a gym. can't wait. Thanks again guys, you are incredible.

jason
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:40 AM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
If the rudder or other parts get a little twist in them, what you can do is hold it in the desired position, breathe a little hot moist air on it, and "will" it into shape again. Hold it in position for 30 seconds and you'll be able to make big changes to the airframe. Do not be afraid of snapping the balsa sticks, if you do happen to break a stick, it's not a big deal, just hit it with thin CA glue - one drop will do the job. The tissue might have reacted to a temp or humidity change - don't worry too much, just see how it changes day by day - it might just straighten itself out too. Or you can break a joint and reglue it. If you use acetone on some of the joints, they will come right apart - ambroid is the glue used on these planes (mostly, some CA too), and the big advantage of ambroid is that you can hit a joint with a drop of acetone and move the joint and reset it.

Glad you got your plane so quickly! Hope you can make many good landings in the hand so you won't have to move too much. Probably you will have many hours to consider Micro R/C possibilities - there is a whole new world of planes that are now do-able, so we are only scratching the surface with the Butterfly, so many designs need to be tried out, Rogallo wing, V-tail, canard, bipes, flying wings. How about a Carbon Butterfly?
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 23, 2005, 01:33 AM
Joined Feb 2005
544 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a story to remember !!!!!!!!!!!! brought a tear out, Well done!

Would Cold air help slow down the plane, some AC ?
Amp User is offline Find More Posts by Amp User
Old Jul 23, 2005, 02:13 AM
No cash=time for ideas!
Boeing Field, Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
316 Posts
Great gesture from Plantraco on this one! Makes me want to buy a Butterfly when I finally get a job...

Hey Plantraco, How about a Carbon and Plastic wrap P-51 LRF?
Fall_Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Fall_Ryan