HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:46 AM
sloping addict
France
Joined Feb 2003
1,536 Posts
New CC HV controllers - CC 110 HV "the beast"

Hi gang,
I just discovered there was a new series a HV controllers (12 lipo or 36 NiMh) available. The biggest monster is a 110 HV which I've been told (RC Man) that it is actually an assembly of 3 HV-45s. Rated 110A continuous, no burst rating but looking at the thing I'd say it can handle some

The good:
- We get the 4-5 kW ESC available now !
- MSRP $270 and retails at $227

The bad:
- it's a monster - 150g weight (5.3 oz)

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...nixhv-110.html

Sounds good for my F3J project
Shame I don't have enough room in the fuse to stuff in more than 7S2P (not sure this will even fit) or more than a double barrel of SubC (2*8 cells max), or possibly 36 GP 2000 (I don't think I'll go that way though) !!
Jay where do you stand with your Statos ? There's now a competitor for the HM-135 you got !
Protocooler is offline Find More Posts by Protocooler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:50 AM
sloping addict
France
Joined Feb 2003
1,536 Posts
Correction: they rate a single HV-45 for 2000W, so I suppose we could consider up to 6kW there
Old Jul 25, 2005, 09:31 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,687 Posts
yep, I just picked one of these up for my Stratos... It is HUGE... And yes I am now thinking of how can I get a 4000 watt motor...

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jul 25, 2005, 09:53 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
yep, I just picked one of these up for my Stratos... It is HUGE... And yes I am now thinking of how can I get a 4000 watt motor...

Jay

$$$$$$??

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:22 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,687 Posts
Steve, if you got the motor, I can find the $$$$$...

Let me know...

The more I looked at the specs of the motors, I think the 1512/2d 6.7:1 with fins, was the right choice... Although I wish it could take 30 volts...
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:56 AM
sloping addict
France
Joined Feb 2003
1,536 Posts
1512/3D ?? if steve can confirm they will hold up to 150-160A 5-6 sec bursts.
But isn't it that the one your already got ? With 500W of losses and if the the windings can take it it should work reasonably well.

Or rather 1515 1.5Y but it can't yield you 4kW, unless you have almost perfect cells.

The problem is the bigger motors have lower amps ratings so you still can hardly reach 4kW with "only" 32 cells or less - if you stick to the stated numbers.

If you really want to do it, you'll probably need lots of $$$$ and then custom build a fuse around a monster pack. I thought about that myself and found it not worth at performance level even with Lipo unless going to the very top Lipos (TP Pro Lite or Pro Power) which will be around $600 a single pack for 4 kW worth (need about 1.3 kg of these to reach that power).
Isn't that the F5A (?) category (there is some kind of 30 cells F5B, very rare)

But Jay why don't you just finish your Stratos with ~3 kW and 32 "vanilla" GP2200 ? Then it will show pointless to gain another 1000W (for likely another 2-3k$), difference would probably almost not even show in flight.
Also where's the HM 135 ? ever purchased it ?

For me, all my calculations including perf, costs and also practical aspects (eg splitting pack to re-charge, new charger etc), size of fuse, yield me back to 16 SubC cells at ~150A. I just hesitate between 1512/2D and 1509/1.5Y. I also found out that 23*15 or 23*17 is actually better than 23*13 so I'll need to get a twisted yoke. 23*17 might be pushing the 1512/2D though (like 180A if cells are good) - Steve which one of the 2 motors would you advise me for 6-8 sec climbs ?
Note: 36 GP2000 @ 100A (= max reasonable with those) with a 1512/2Y would be only marginally faster, then consider the ESC limit is 32 cells anyways + the overweight & costs, not worth it.

PS: Steve "when" you make your own props, pls consider me on the list for a 24"*16", and I won't sue you i'm in Europe
Old Jul 25, 2005, 02:12 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,687 Posts
You know that's a heck of a good point. 4000 watts isn't going to be MUCH faster than 3000 watts. I sold the hm135 when the 110hv came out so I could standardize on CC controllers. I also sold the gp2200s when I realized that the lipos I was looking for 20c 2100 in a small form factor have come out... 8400 at 20c =160amps x 24volts = 3800 watts wow... that's better than I thought. I just hope the motor can handle it...

The lipos are the last piece...

Jay
Old Jul 25, 2005, 02:53 PM
sloping addict
France
Joined Feb 2003
1,536 Posts
mhh 24V ? is that 7S or 8S ? If latest TP, I'd say one case is too pessimistic, the other too optimistic You may very well get more than 3.2V @ 19-20C with the latest cells in LMR - burst mode.
Which cells will you get ?
8S4P wow !!! I suppose you know that Lipo cells used at max rating have greatly reduced lifetime - maybe 70 cycles (but possibly 20 or even just one, or a few, when you're not lucky). But fairly enough, it can stand the same for Nimh.

I kindda lately dropped the Lipo idea as even 4S4P likely would not fit in my fuse so I could not really better the NimH power. Lipo are still too bulky! Or fuses not square enough
And even with Chinese factory direct pricing, with import duty, 2 packs of 16C Nimh stay cheaper than 4S4P 2100 an provide +/- the same overall climb and the weight was identical. Really nothing to rave about. The TP do provide more power (and energy) density but at 3 times the cost.
And any issue with such big Lipo pack can become scary also.

Someday I'd like to try my monster rubber band "idea" => twist a fair amount of good rubber inside F3J fuse and get that big RFM prop spin @ maybe 8000 RPM for a few seconds, no ESC, not even a motor and one single rocket climb ! Very thick gloves needed to avoid a trip to hospital with one hand chopped off though (who will hold the prop before launch ) Would need the spinner on a ball bearing also... mhhhh... Sorry, thinking out loud
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:40 AM
Indiana
Joined Jul 2003
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocooler

Someday I'd like to try my monster rubber band "idea" => twist a fair amount of good rubber inside F3J fuse and get that big RFM prop spin @ maybe 8000 RPM for a few seconds, no ESC, not even a motor and one single rocket climb ! Very thick gloves needed to avoid a trip to hospital with one hand chopped off though (who will hold the prop before launch ) Would need the spinner on a ball bearing also... mhhhh... Sorry, thinking out loud

Just put a mini servo in the fuse to drive a locking pin in the back of the yolk. Launch, then unlock...
icrashrc is offline Find More Posts by icrashrc
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:13 AM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
So how big is it compared to the CC 300 ???

Anyone?
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:26 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
So how big is it compared to the CC 300 ???

Anyone?
A bit wider with the cooling fins, say 40% wider, about the same height, and maybe 4mm longer. Fits just fine in a Zoom Race, Absolute and an S14; each with geared Neus.

Figure that the first 4 inches behind the motor is consumed by the ESC, if the batt you want fits behind all that, and you are close with the CG, you'll still have a bit of room in the nose for dreaded lead if you need to. Don't plan on filling up the tail boom with smaller lipos trying to get 12S, doesn't work out with CG unless you extend the nose (did that on a Sirius and it worked great).

Also, the esc is very rectangular. I grinded the cooling fins at the corners on the front of the esc to match the tapering fuse shape; allowed the esc to be more forward on the S14, and less of a point stress area on the fuse where it touched.

Hope that helps,

Eric

PS Remeber "the law of dimishing returns" in relation to power and weight. Steves 7 cell ship (on 2s!), and his spare Avionik that he somehow keeps forgeting to ship me, is really worth considering. A set up similar to that is hard to beat. If I make it to the desert non competition competition speed fest this weekend, I'll be sure to get some video.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Jun 23, 2007, 05:58 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Mmmmmm......

12S with the CC HV-110 and Neu 1512/3D on a 16x17'' with a little twist.

.........tasty!!!!!

or for the brave...... a 1512/2.5D ..... EEK!

Joe
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz