HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:19 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Discussion
The 60" DC-6B is Finaly Underway!!!

After a solid year of planning, drafting, repairing drawings and waiting for parts, the DC-6 is finaly under construction

The idea started shortly after the B-17 first flew, but for variouse reasons didn't actually begin until last June after SMALL. This was only the third design I started on CAD, so there were lots of challenges to overcome. There were a ton of problems with my drafting "technique" that needed fixing before it was to the point where it was actually ready to cut parts and start gluing, but in spite of all that, the parts arrived last Friday, and assembly has begun.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:24 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Construction Begins with the Horizontal Tail

I figured it would be good to start with a smaller assembly to get a feel for how the design was going to go together. So far, but for a couple minor glitches, its smooth sailing. The Horizontal Stab is all together and hinges, so will move on to the fuselage next.
PAT
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:36 PM
albuquerque
Joined Sep 2001
1,122 Posts
Pat, don't forget the rules!!! Your not allowed to do more than 6 airplanes at a time.
jbest is online now Find More Posts by jbest
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:48 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
amazing pat!

you were not fooling when you said you had something up your sleeve!! this is a great one to make!
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Jul 20, 2005, 09:12 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Oooorrr... I have a photo of Super Snoopy. The owner (name escapes me, but well-known guy) entered it in Unlimited many years ago; pulled everything out except the pilot's seat, but the Race Directors wouldn't allow him to compete, demo laps only. Something about getting caught in the wash from props/wings...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:48 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
lol.. Berlin Airlift, or "The High and Mighty" ( it was on AMC this past weekend.. started off as a "Connie" and turned into a DC-4/6 somewhere over the pacific!!)

THIS is going to be interesting !!!!!
gearup is offline Find More Posts by gearup
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:57 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
I sure hope the Dumas guys go for this one! Subscribed.
Scott
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:39 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Jimmy, It's OK, I finished the little Dr.-I, so there's a hole in the schedual that needs filling.

The p-type will be done in the old United Airlines colors. I already have the custom made decals from Callie Graphics, and Sparky made the cowls a while back. Sparky will also do the rest of the plastic, but not till I get the masters done up using the p-type to insure they're right.

The DC-6 will be kitted, but Dare will be doing this one. They've been bugging me for another Multi for awhile now, and this one should do the trick.

Z, Yes, this one has been dragging on for awhile. Am sure glad that it's finally starting to take shape.
PAT
Old Jul 21, 2005, 05:38 PM
Joined Sep 2001
86 Posts
what are you planning on powering it with, and what kind of wingloading are you shooting for? this could (will) be pretty sweet, i have followed your other work and your stuff is awesome.
silverpoz is offline Find More Posts by silverpoz
Old Jul 21, 2005, 05:44 PM
tulsa, ok
Joined Nov 2004
96 Posts
Pat, you put the rest of us to shame! Wish I had half the amount of "free time" you seem to have. Very cool. John.
jungmann1 is offline Find More Posts by jungmann1
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:07 PM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
Any chance it could be reverted into a DC-4? I've always wanted to build a Canadair C4 Argonaut, which was a DC4 with a pressurized cabin, square windows and Rolls Royce Merlin engines. I dont really know much about the type, I just like the looks of it.
GeeBeeFan is offline Find More Posts by GeeBeeFan
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:44 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Looking forward to this one Pat! I've wanted to build a DC6 or C54 for a long time...and you're just the guy to design a great model. Should be a winner!
Hope you design it for retracts!

Lloyd
LLBarb is offline Find More Posts by LLBarb
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:02 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Yup, gorgeous and underdone project. I am sure it will be a completely manageable model.

Error: Clay Lacy's Super Snoopy (No. 64) was a DC7, entered it inSan Diego US Cup 1,000mi race in 1971, propwash was the concern (!!), demo flight only. No mention of lap times.

There is a 6 at Pima in the Presidential Aircraft section, in pristine shape of course. Quite a few different aircraft, from DC4 to Connie etc. Impressive.

Gee, I just ran through my old, old plans, and found a copy of the DC6 by StromBecKer. Solid model (pine, I think), good history lesson...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbest
Pat, don't forget the rules!!! Your not allowed to do more than 6 airplanes at a time.
I'm from the boat board here, and Pat does six boats at a time too! While he's doin' airplanes?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:59 PM
Who reversed my ailerons?
Saskatoon,Sk. Canada
Joined Feb 2005
1,123 Posts
Got her started Pat , huh. Well you know I'm in for this one. Looks like another Huge build thread and another website. I'll hurry up and finish my B-17 so I'm ready when it hits Terry's cutter. This is going to be yet another great plane by you Pat. If you keep building them this good I'll never get time to build other planes, lol.
dgfisher2004 is offline Find More Posts by dgfisher2004