HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2005, 01:07 AM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
GB's Gee Bee Z Build

I know, I know, I need a new project like a hole in the head, but I done did it, I started one. This one is a little bit different though. I started with a kit, no scratchbuilding here (maybe just a little... ). I've been wanting to dig into this Dumas Gee Bee Z ever since it was given to me for my birthday, today was the day. I started with the rudder, which only took about 1/2 hour, I was pleasently surprised! Then I started looking at that stabilizer... Something was really bugging me about how it looked then it hit me, it's too big! True to the scale freak thought process, I built mine using the "Scale outline" provided on the drawings. It may fly like crap now, but it'll sure look good sitting on the ground! My justification is that it'll be on the ground more than in the air. Since I took the pics I have cut the elevators and the rudder free and I'm working on the hinge line. Tomorrow I'll do the wings. I should have the basic airframe done this week maybe in the air the one after that. I'm not looking to do anything fancy here, just fly something that acctually has to do with my namesake. I'm debating about adding in ailerons, I'd like to keep it simple but there's just no other way to turn a Gee Bee than bank and yank What do ya'll think? I just poked myself with the xacto knife, that means I need some sleep. I'll be back tomorrow ...today, with some wing pics.

I know there's a bunch of you guys with these things, anyone get one in the air? Are all of yours in the standard Yellow/Black? I've been thinking about using the White/Black as seen in the movie Rocketeer. Hmm, things to ponder while drifting off to sleep. Btw, Like the Title?
GeeBeeFan is offline Find More Posts by GeeBeeFan
Last edited by GeeBeeFan; Jul 20, 2005 at 01:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2005, 01:50 AM
confused poet
USA, CA, Orange
Joined Feb 2004
1,054 Posts
very cool,
I've been wanting to do this plane for some time, so i might just sit back and wait and see what happens with yours. I'm in the final push to finish my Laird Super solution in the same line. Keep the pics coming.
Hank
HanksGB is offline Find More Posts by HanksGB
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:01 AM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
I got up early this morning to finish up the tail feathers, they now ready for covering and hinging! Pics soon!
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:21 AM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
You should be fine with the scale horizontal tail. This was a free flight kit and they need to be very stable.

I designed and built a 36"-ish span GeeBee Z a few years ago for .25 power. It flew well but needed lots of right thust to fly straight. This plane used scale sized surfaces and flew well when balanced at about 18% chord. It was fun until I took off with my ailerons reversed after messing with the computer radio. She went rolling into the ground just like the original.

I'm going to re-do the drawing this winter to lighten it up for electric power.

Can't wait to see this baby fly!

Rob

P.S. Go for ailerons!
madrob is offline Find More Posts by madrob
Old Jul 20, 2005, 09:07 AM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
Pics as promised, one at least. The tail feathers are all ready for covering now. I'm going to build ailerons into the wing but I'm still not sure if I'll acctually use them. I figure that it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

HanksGB - Is your Super Solution flyable? My brother loves that plane, I'm trying to convince him to build one.

madrob - sorry to hear about your Z, I hope the next one works out better for you. Maybe we should organize a Gee Bee "fly in" I wonder which is the most modeled Gee Bee.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 09:07 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,948 Posts
You do need the ailerons!! Especially since you want it to be more scale looking. The E-Type I built (Dumas) flies really well and I have a lot of fun with it. For some reason it doesn't like to fly straight! Left turn, left turn, left turn. Wonder why

Oh, I built the tail as on the plan, oversized, and now I use less than 1/4" throw on the elevator. You should be fine. And, the wheel pants do a lot for stability too. Flew much better with them than without.

Suggestion on the LG. Instead of the wire used with a rear strut, make them out of a bit thicker wire and leave off the rear strut. That way they can flex on landing without breaking the rib. I got tired of repairing mine and mounted them with magents (hand launch).

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 20, 2005, 09:10 AM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
The Z uses a single front wire LG
Old Jul 20, 2005, 09:29 AM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
What motor are you going to use?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:44 PM
confused poet
USA, CA, Orange
Joined Feb 2004
1,054 Posts
Rob,
The laird, well let's say this if she doesn't fly i just might cry. It's the Dumas 24' model, modified for R/C with ailerons, rudd, elev, and brushless motor(little screamers). I just glued in the elevator last night so today will probably be hinging, and more work on battery placement, and finish off the push rods. If i can ever figure out how to shrink my pictures i'd post them here.
Henry
HanksGB is offline Find More Posts by HanksGB
Old Jul 20, 2005, 01:13 PM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrob
What motor are you going to use?
I havn't the foggiest! I have a couple of the GWS Slow stick motors that I could use but I just stumbled across some threads talking about CD motors, very interesting stuff. I need to look into it a bit more but I always like trying new things and my brother and my dad both work with computers all day so I stand a good chance of getting something cheap. I'd love to hear any ideas.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 01:26 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,560 Posts
GBfan,

Very fun and exciting project. If you decide to paint it white and black, just know that the model (pictured) was a static backstage prop for the movie. The yellow and black model flown was Bill Turner's full scale replica.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jul 20, 2005, 01:34 PM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg
If you decide to paint it white and black, just know that the model (pictured) was a static backstage prop for the movie. The yellow and black model flown was Bill Turner's full scale replica.
Yeah, but it just looks so good! I've decided to use that paint scheme (New Avatar! ) I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it in the movie. I think I'm going to have to go get the DVD so I can frame through that scene. I dont remember them showing it very well, but it'd be better than the one picture that I've got. Btw, does anyone have more pictures of this plane. I'm going to need all I can get for my paint scheme.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 02:12 AM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
The wing is almost finished. I need to decide on what hinge to use then I can finish that up. The tail surfaces will use sewn hinges. I still have to do my least favorite part of Dumas kits, shaping the leading edge. I decided to build the cowling today, the framing is all done, I just have to trim and attach the plastic cowl ring. I'm going to do the basic framing on the fuselage tomorrow, radio install coming soon to a Gee Bee near you!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:22 AM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
GBfan!

Here is a link with some good detail photos of the Z made by Bill Turner and his crew at Repeat Aircraft Company. This was the one used in "The Rocketeer" but it is not a very accurate replica. They added some wingspan and fuselage length. It also looks to me like they added a bit of fin to it as well.

http://rogerritter.com/images/aviation/Mu1GeeBeeZ/

Now here's an accurate replica built by Jeff Eicher and Kevin Kimball and now lives at Fantasy of Flight in Florida. This baby was done right!

http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com...m_geebeez.html

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircraftpages/geebee.htm

I am a bit of a Granville nut and am planning to build a full scale replica of the model D in a few years. I have copies of about 80-90% of the original factory drawings and all the major details are there. This one was much easier to fly and looking at the numbers, would be similar to a Pitts in landing speeds.

Cheers!

Rob
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:49 AM
The Faster the Better
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
I acctually just stumbled upon that site for the movie plane, Lots of good pics. I'm not going to fret the details on this one so the movie plane should do fine as a ref. I wish there were more good detail pics of the Z at Fantasy of Flight. I saw it once years ago but that was before Kermit Weeks bought it. Speaking of which, I've been wanting to get down and see his museum for a long time, one of these days.

I think the movie Rocketeer had a big influence on my love of Gee Bees. The D is one of my favorites I've always wanted to see one in person. I've seen the Z, R2, E, and Y. I really like the early sportsters, If I was to own a Gee Bee (realistically, not fantasy land) the D would probably be it. Good Luck with your project, I hope I'm lucky enough to see it someday!