Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:52 PM
2xSalto my kid flies too!
USA, WI, Stoughton
Joined Jun 2000
300 Posts
CAD, STL,DXF Need Help finding some source files to get started.

Wanting to learn some CAD, are there images sources out there, id B17, or T33 or or or..?
rcgreaves is offline Find More Posts by rcgreaves
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2005, 01:07 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I self-taught myself on DesignCAD around 12 years or so back. Diddled around with other's drawing files and found it to be of little practical use.

In the end, I jumped in at the deep end and not only drew up a plan on DCAD, I also built and flew the model.

I had a fair amount of drawing time on "conventional" drawing board set-ups, and just applied those skills to CAD - a line's a line, whether you draw it on-screen or with a pencil on paper. The trick is to learn how to best place lines and make them go in the desired direction. My first try was a simple sports RC model - doing something like a B17 for a first effort might be a little ambitious.

Interesting aside - I did drawings much faster by pencil and drafting gear than I've ever done in CAD. With a pencil, a line goes down after much thought, and stays down - with CAD, things are so easy to change, you keep on changing them. This is backed up by a friend of mine who is a professional architectural draftsman and a very good model aircraft designer. He prefers to use 'traditional' techniques over CAD at both hobby and making a living...

CAd can be time-absorbing, you have been warned

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck