HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:42 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
Combat Models Vacuform sub kits info

I'm posting this here in response to an email to me from OhioMike. It's a copy of my reply to his questions.

Mike,
I'm sorry that I missed this email and haven't replied to you sooner.

There's nothing at all wrong with these kits. For the money they are just fine. The hull for the Geo. Washington Class that I built came in 6 pieces: 2 halves each for the bow, center section and stern. Each of the appendages were in 2 parts (rudders and elevators and sail planes) as well as the sail.

The method for building is not all that difficult just a bit different than you might be use to. To cut the parts from the carrier sheet you score a line around the desired part a few times and then snap the plastic by bending it along the scored line. Snaps right apart. There will be a slight lip on the edge of the part now. To remove it you must sand it off. Best done by laying a large sheet of sandpaper on you bench and running you part over it. So instead of holding the sandpaper and moving it you hold the model part and move it back and forth over the sandpaper. What I did to maintain the correct diameter and not sand too much off was to make a few bulkheads out of scrap plastic of the correct diameter for the hull. When everything fit about right I glued the hull halves together by section rather than by left and right sides. In other words, I created a bow section, center section and a stern section instead of a left half and a aright half. In order to align the halves for each section I used scrap plastic that I had put a slight bend in to match the radius of the hull as tabs. Used liquid model glue ( I like the Testors brand) to bond the parts temporarily. Once the parts were glued I put masking tape along the seam line on the outside of the hull parts and than mixed up some 30 minute epoxy and poured it into the hull along the seam. This takes a while as you do one part of the seam at a time, i.e.- top, then bottom then the very bow part. I built up about 1/4" of epoxy in the tip of the bow for strength. When this epoxy is cured you remove the tape and sand the heck out of the seam until you are satisfied with the results.

I hope that this helps. There's a lot more to the description of the build but you should have the general idea from this. It's definitely an experienced builder's kit but the results are much better than some would have you believe. You can spend big bucks on a super museum quality scale model that still needs a radio, motor, batteries, etc or next to nothing for one of John's kits and really have the satisfaction of creating something from a few sheets of plastic.

When I get a chance I'll post some pics of the interior which show the tabs and epoxy as described. The construction is not really difficult. Will you have a perfectly spot on scale model when you are done? Heck no. Will you have something that looks the part? Heck yes. Will you still have some $$ left in your wallet? Maybe, depends on what was in there when you started!

I have a lot of respect for those guys that create real works of art that are so accurate the tiny toilets flush but that's just not my thing. I still see these as toys to play with and just enjoy.

If anyone's interested I'll give more info on building the thing.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Jul 25, 2005 at 01:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2006, 05:45 PM
Fairseas
Joined Aug 2006
10 Posts
Combat Models Sub

Thanks for posting this on CM's vac models. Please do post or send some photos of your work for reference since I have never worked with vacuform kits before. Am interested in several of their kits, specifically the earlier WW1 U-boats, & have been wanting to know what detail can be expected on the mold.
Fairseas is offline Find More Posts by Fairseas
Old Sep 21, 2006, 08:41 PM
Keizer,OR
Joined Feb 2004
210 Posts
Combat Models and mold detail are two things that don't go together. They are smooth and if anyone ever checks any accuate scale drawings, will find they aren't true scale models, not even close. I've had the George Washington and the Permit/ Threasher and I thought they were awful. Never again.
BrittB is offline Find More Posts by BrittB
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:09 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
I'll try to take some pics of the inside of the sub this weekend. All of my old pics are on my other PC which is not hooked up right now.

Britt-- You do get what you pay for here and you can make a pretty nice sub model with some effort. I never had anyone at a meet measure my sub or compare it to a plan. I don't give a shoot about that stuff. Looks pretty cool with a bit of work but it beats paying $200 to $1000. Like I said, you get what you pay for.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:24 AM
Fairseas
Joined Aug 2006
10 Posts
Thanks Mike! I appreciate any photos when you have the chance to send.

As mentioned above, I'm interested in their WW1 U-9 or U-35 kits for RC conversion since no other kits are on the market. I spoke with their owner & he claims thes U-boat kits offer some hull detail & include a set of plans. What the hell... at $47.00, you can't go wrong.
Fairseas is offline Find More Posts by Fairseas
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:00 AM
jim
United States, AL, Bessemer
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
Please send me the web site link to combat models, I havent had any luck finding it. Thank you .

Jim
spongjim is offline Find More Posts by spongjim
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:28 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
http://www.kriegershobbies.com/combat.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:31 AM
jim
United States, AL, Bessemer
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
Thank you.

Jim
spongjim is offline Find More Posts by spongjim
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:40 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
I spoke to the new owner last year and the smaller subs are now made in two parts (left and right side) instead of 4 or 6 parts. I still have a Thresher and typ XXI to finish one day.
Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2007, 07:48 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
Contact info for Combat Models vacuform kits:

Robert Model
18 East Clay Avenue
West Hazieton
Pa 18202

Phone (570) 450-5647 or 455-3204
Fax 459-5725
email taliesenr@aol.com

Scale Ordernumber Type Price

1/72 101 Mark VII C U-Boat $ 47,95
1/72 102 USN Fleet Boat $ 47,95
1/72 103 Mark XXI U.Boat $ 47,95
1/72 104 USSR Alpha $ 64,95
1/72 103 USN SSN Thresher $ 47,95
1/72 104 USN S Boat $ 47,95
1/72 105 Mark IX-C U-Boat $ 47,95
1/72 106 Mark IX-D/D2 U-Boat $ 47,95
1/72 107 USN SSN Skipjack $ 47,95
1/72 108 U-35 WWI U-Boat $ 47,95
1/72 109 U-9 WWI U-Boat $ 47,95
1/72 110 USN SSBM Patrick Henry $ 64,95

Fairseas-- Did you ever get the type IX? I've been thinking of getting that one. Any pics of the kit?

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2007, 07:58 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
Fairseas-- I'll take some photos this weekend of the CM subs that I have. I have the George Washington, the Thresher/Permit and the typ XXI. The nukes are smooth hulled although the missle deck of the boomer has a weak representation of missle hatches. The typ XXI has some surface detail but it's not that great especially the limber/drain hole grates. I started to drill mine out. Panel lines are easy to scribe into the styrene though. A lot of people knock these models but I have no patience for them. It's a toy, they're all toys for that matter, even the $$$ ones so I don't really care. This is not a "rivet counters" model company.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2007, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
Here are a number of photos of two old Combat Models kits that have been kicking around my basement since 1992 or so. I never finished wither one. One of these days. The quality of these kits is about what you'd expect for a kit that 's still under $50. I'm told that the type XXI and some of the others are made in 2 parts now as in left and right instead of 4 parts. Don't start knocking them or comparing them to some of the stuff available today. I don't care. They're cheap, they look the part and they're cheap, cheap, cheap. I fly GWS planes because they're inexpensive. I like the CM kits because they're inexpensive. Are they 100% accurate? no but I don't give a . This is not a rivet counters kind of kit company. I'll try to snap a few shots of the George Washington later. That is if anyone's interested.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2007, 04:25 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
Here are some pics of the SSBN-598 George Washington model. Not the best looking boomer out there but I like it well enough. Haven't wet the keel in years hence the dust and peeling decals. Has working LED's for the running lights. Ah well, there he is.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Feb 23, 2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 05:01 PM
cougar
waterloo . Ontario
Joined Sep 2005
167 Posts
do you have any pictures of the wtc? is the ballast tank a pump? or a gas system?
this has me bery interested.
thanks
cougar33 is offline Find More Posts by cougar33
Old Feb 25, 2007, 07:37 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
I have photos of it posted on another site. Click on the link:

http://www.subpirates.com/viewtopic.php?p=23872#23872
RCG Plus Member