HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2002, 09:45 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
How to make a JR trainer cord

I want to make a trainer cord for my radio and can't get one without ordering and paying shipping so I figured I'd make one since it is just two headphone jacks with a piece of wire in the middle. right??? or not??? is the cord just two jacks connected pos to pos and neg to neg or is there something else I don't know. as far as I know there is no trainer and master ends on the JR cord, you just leave the trainer box radio off and let the cord turn on the needed parts. If anyone know about these please let me know.

Thanx
Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2002, 10:48 PM
Fairfax, VA
Joined Oct 2000
166 Posts
Go to Radio Shack (or whatever you have)... Buy a 1/8" stereo to 1/8" stereo cord, and then plug it in.... Should cost only like 4 bux, tops.
Kitsu is offline Find More Posts by Kitsu
Old Apr 25, 2002, 10:51 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Im not 100% sure but i think it is just a mono 3/8" cable. Each side just has a tip and a sleeve. Ive plugged my JR tx into the audio input on my computer with a mono 3/8" cable just to listen to the funny noise that it makes and all four channels were clearly audible.

Just for fun try it. If you have two transmitters and a free model just plug them up together and turn on the tx that normally controls the model and leave the other one off. Then hold the tranier switch and wiggle the sticks of the tx that is off and see if the model responds. If it does then you have a winner!

But be careful, I think with some trainer setups the reverse, trim and any mix settings need to be the same on both transmitters or the model will respond differently. Again Im not 100% sure but I would try it just to see what happens.

By the way I work at a theme park and we have an animatronic show that is controlled with a futaba tx. The tx gets its signal from the left track of a cd player (just an audio signal) and is plugged into the tranier port. It controls the mouths on four different heads that are a part of the costumes of the live actors in the show.
Barrett is offline Find More Posts by Barrett
Old Apr 26, 2002, 12:13 AM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
Uh oh. You've got the gears turnin', Barrett! How's this...

Connect your trainer output to the input of a tape deck and adjust levels to record the signal. Take your plane up high, hit record on the tape deck, and do an artistic aerobatic routine. This would be on a dead-calm day.

Several days, weeks, months later, on another dead-calm day, plug the output of the tape deck into your trainer jack, take your plane up high, hold the trainer switch, and hit play.

Oh my goodness, it's a flight recorder. Too fun.

-chris

P.S.- DISCLAIMER: Please, kids, DON'T try this at home. Consider the safety implications before even thinking about it.
freq is offline Find More Posts by freq
Old Apr 26, 2002, 04:27 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
The trainer cord should be 3.5mm (1/8th) MONO jacks connected straight. The stereo/headphoneplugs don't make very good contact in the mono sockets that are fitted though they will work if you're careful.

The buddy box needs a (charged ) battery fitted but you don't switch it on. Inserting the trainer plug switches on the bits that are needed.

HTH - Steve

freq, I like that disclaimer "Consider the safety implications before even thinking about it." Err....how ?
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Apr 26, 2002, 07:50 AM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
LOL- point well taken. Kinda like, "think about nothing for 5 minutes."

-chris
freq is offline Find More Posts by freq
Old May 01, 2002, 09:18 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Well Chris someone is going to try it......

hmmmmmmmmm....... I wonder how well it would work...?
Barrett is offline Find More Posts by Barrett