|Feb 09, 2011, 06:29 AM|
Joined Dec 2005
Looking good sgtdirt! Just checked in on this thread, been a while. I still miss this plane, really sweet flier, I may have to build another too someday. Just haven't been able to get in the groove with my building. Shoot, my Daddy-o has been covered on the bench for the better part of a year, hope to finish for the spring season.
|Feb 16, 2011, 02:49 PM|
Finally starting to look like an edge 540!
BTW, i saw some one asking about a good looking spinner, I found this scale aerobatic spinner http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-61...h-/Detailthats looks awesome on this plane. It is also seen in the pics below.
|Feb 23, 2011, 11:10 AM|
Covering, these are gonna be the base colors,The trim will get added after the maiden, along with all the cosmetics. Project on backburner for 1 week bc of a 3D fly-on in jacksonville. hopefully maiden will come next week!
|Mar 06, 2011, 12:20 AM|
Finished!!! Flew great, very stable, extremely fast for a 3S. I balanced mine neutrally in the suggested CG range. You can roll inverted and take your hands off the sticks. Still need to tint the canopy.
- Suggested Hacker motor
- 3S 2250mAh and 3200mAh
- Turnigy 60A ESC
- All HS65MG
- 12x6 VOX prop
- reinforced elevator counter balancer with bracing and more CF running down the sides, this came from complaints in the threads of this area prone to breaking during high loading.
- Installed fixed tail wheel to protect the rudder since it seems very fragile.
- removed wheel pants since they were dragging in the grass.
- Glued motor box to the firewall
- epoxied gear into the firewall
|Mar 19, 2011, 08:38 PM|
Slow and steady.....really means a very slow and steady build !!
I am just about at the construction phase finish line.
After i gave up my fantasy of building this in 2 months - after such a quick start due to the kits interlocking construction methodology - i am satisfied with doing each part as competently as possible rather than as quickly as possible. The neat part about this is i get to enjoy the build a lot more which is akin to working in your own photolab developing film and then making b+w prints.
The aileron's root area just needs to be dressed up to perfectly match the wing root and that can be done with some 1/32 balsa sanded to show an even gap between the two.
Nothing has been done that wasn't in the instruction with the following exceptions-
1) used .5 oz per square yard fiberglass cloth on the D-box, the turtle-back between the cocpit and vertical stablizer, and the balsa fuse side. It was applied with waterbased polyurethein. I hate it when you are handling the model and you hear all the crunchy sounds balsa makes. I think it may have added only about 1 or 2 oz extra - max...
2) I added soft balsa plugs shaped to a bullet on each end of the CF wing rod because i found it be much easier to slide the wing on (not mishitting the wing rib instead of the hole).
3) The faux fuse stringers aft of the cocpit were constantly breaking due to my inadvertantly hitting them so i bought some Midwest CF .015x 1/8" wide and glued these to the outside of each stringer = no more broken stringers.
4) 1/16" balsa wing tip end-cap, it just looks cleaner.
5) a couple of scrap 1/16" verticle balsa wood braces inside the fuse that are 90' to the balse fuse itself, forward of the cocpit. Not to many - just where one is going to handle the model when loading batteries or wing stall/removal.
The biggest dillema i always have is color scheme. I am leaning towards yellow but really like the Red Bull series Orange Hamilton Watch another builder used. Calle graphics will have to consulted
To be continued.... john s.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Pacific Aeromodel Edge 540 Conversion||Brad S||Sport Planes||36||May 07, 2008 06:31 AM|
|Sold||NIB Stevens Aero Edge 540 Balsa Kit - $100 Shipped||ken_keeler||Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W)||5||Jan 04, 2007 02:27 PM|
|Discussion||goldberg vs pacific aeromodel edge 540||swattley||3D / Fun Fly Fuel Planes||0||Oct 28, 2006 07:22 PM|
|For Sale||Pacific Aeromodel Edge 540 40 size||hosam||Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W)||2||Sep 30, 2006 01:45 PM|