HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:13 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
Build Log
Stevens AeroModel - Edge 540

Been right busy around here (thank you )- this one's been knocking around my hard drive for the last two years since going full time in January I've had a bit more time to work on my "to-do list" and as they say... the pieces are starting to come together. I'd estimate we have about two months before all the parts are together for a release.

Here are some previews of the airframe. I'll continue to update this as more media is available.

Basic idea: SA's focus has always been on building a quality pattern / IAC model that would perform like a larger fuel model. Something large enough and honest enough that the average pilot could go to the local park and continue to build/improve skills. Time and time again I have suggested the G480 as being a solid platform for these learning sessions. Time and time again satisfied Groove pilots have requested a large Scale offering to complement the flight qualities of the G480.

With this scale subject there would be no way around a bit of weight gain. I tried to keep it to a minimum but got carried away with our new D-Loc(tm) interlocking D-Tube spar and stiffened the aileron assembly with composites. This adds gobs of stiffness to the wing and it, along with the necessity for plug-in wings, accounts for 1oz of the weight gain.

As it sits it is +1 oz heavier then the G480. The complete airframe, due to larger motor mount and cowl should weigh in about 2.5-3oz heavier then a Groove - yet boasts a 10% longer span, and 10% more wing area. I know what you are thinking... I'm thinking it too While designed for the 200-250w Hacker A30-28S / AXI 2808-20 series of motors - the airframe will support many popular 300+w systems like the Hacker A30-16M.

Here is the completed airframe waiting on plastic.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:15 PM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
Looks GREAT as usual.

Can't wait to see it all done and ready to fly. If you need a beta tester - you know my address.

Ted
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:18 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
Site windows... I couldn't resist adding site windows as lightenting holes in the scale locations... complete with "faux carbon" fuselage supports - paint these white and cover the hole in clear solite - should be nifty!

The Edge 540 has one more site window to assist the pilot in lining up on the box. This one is underneath and doubles as the exhaust air vent for cooling those Lipo's.

-Bill
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:22 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
Here's a shot of the site windows on the real thing...
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:25 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
Awesome! That thing is sweet

What servos are you going to use? Hs-55's or step it up to the 81's? I see the landing gear are up front on the fuse...I like it!

Two months, eh? I'd love to be able to see this thing by the NEAT fair!

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:38 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
Thanks Jon,

I think the 55's are plenty and that's what we'll test with - I think I'd prefere to see a solid 20oz/in servo like the JR241 or GWS NARO HP's on the rudder. We will have it at NEAT.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:39 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
That I do. BTW your kid is getting big! Nice chatting with you last week.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP
Looks GREAT as usual.

Can't wait to see it all done and ready to fly. If you need a beta tester - you know my address.

Ted
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:12 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
That wing looks outstanding. I like the nifty scale windows too. This plane sounds like just what I need, as I find my interest in precision, gracefull aerobatics growing. And come to think of it, I will be afflicted with a 40th Bday later in September which could be cheered up with such a plane... -Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:34 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Looks to be another outstanding release! I really like all the little scale details and the full sheeted top deck.

So when can we pre-order?

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Last edited by PeteSchiess; Jul 19, 2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 01:03 AM
San Francisco
Joined Apr 2004
950 Posts
Looks great Bill! Never done a kit before (save for a rubber-band powered one years ago), but if I ever did this would be it. Are you contemplating smaller versions in the future, like you've done with the Cap?
gadzby is offline Find More Posts by gadzby
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:48 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
Bigger...smaller. You all have to make up your mind. Your gona drive the poor guy nuts.
Looks really nice. Can't wait to see one covered with the cowl and LG.

If I build one I better equip my dummy pilot with a blindfold. The way I fly those sight windows may make him eject.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Jul 19, 2005, 08:02 AM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,050 Posts
Bill:

I love the D-Tube construction. It should eliminate any controversy over the weight of covering to use! This will fit into my new shop VERY well. I will have a clear building board in about two weeks, so add me to the list of watering mouths!

Steve
kitfoxdrvr is offline Find More Posts by kitfoxdrvr
Old Jul 19, 2005, 08:03 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
It's an easy build. Probably more time intensive then my other kits as the wing takes a bit more care with the D-Tube and Cap Strips. With all of the SA kits all of the major fitting work is done for you. For the most part you'll only need a razor to cut those parts free from the retention gaps in the wood. I wouldn't mind doing something smaller In the future I like having a range of 2-3 sizes/model matched to popular power system classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzby
Looks great Bill! Never done a kit before (save for a rubber-band powered one years ago), but if I ever did this would be it. Are you contemplating smaller versions in the future, like you've done with the Cap?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 08:09 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Bill,
Great to see pictures of her, Will definatly be putting this one in the que. Better bring one to NEAT for me

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Jul 19, 2005, 08:27 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
delete
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Last edited by mexico; Jul 19, 2005 at 08:47 AM.