HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2001, 12:09 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
EJF Wing Thing Kit

Electric Jet Factory Will be selling a kit of the "Wing Thing".
I have not seen the kit yet. He is just puting it together.
Makes me feel all good inside that so many people are injoying the plane.
you can see it at:. http://www.geocities.com/azchuckrc/wingthig.html
Give Robert a Call at EJF http://www.electricjetfactory.com/
520-579-5609 - Voice
520-579-5610 - Fax
E-mail:robert@ElectricJets.com

Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2001, 03:10 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,648 Posts
Great job, Chuck!

That little guy must be fast because the EJF motto is "We're nothin' but Jet!"
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
Old Jun 21, 2001, 05:13 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
36 Posts
Do U guys think this can be a good first plane for a person who wants to get in on this great Hobby?
jrgii is offline Find More Posts by jrgii
Old Jun 21, 2001, 10:05 PM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
jrgii, welcome to Ezone. A straight answer to you question in NO. I designed it and I would have to say it is not a beginners plane. You have to fly it too close for you to have any response time. You want a plane that can fly it's self. There are a lot of good slow float around planes. When you get some stick time in you can try a hotter plane.
AZ Chuck
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Jun 22, 2001, 10:19 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
36 Posts
thanks for not being a salesman and trying to push me to buy your product. So what plane would you think I should start off with? I want to learn the basics first then maybe go to some acrobatics. I would like to first own a plane that would be able to grow with me, then as time allows I would like to begin to learn to fly a slightly faster plane. I do not own any equipment yet, but I do plan oon purchasing a 4 channel radio so I can reuse it after my graduation. What do you guys think?
Old Jun 22, 2001, 10:35 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
I'm biased but I'd recommend my DuskStik. You can build the wing four different ways depending on how you want it to fly and I sell additional wing kits. You can read Brad's review of it at http://litestick.rcplanet.com

Doug
www.duskstik.com
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jun 22, 2001, 11:02 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
36 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I really like the sound of the plane in that review. I have built a Rubber FF Guillows Peanut scale plane and a Delta wing Rubber FF Looking thingy a few years back and I think I should be able to handle the assembly. And yes I think you are biased. Any other thoughts at what I might look at?
Old Jun 22, 2001, 11:09 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
jrgii,

If you can build a peanut scale, you can easily build a DuskStik.

Regarding other planes, what are you looking for? Do you want a more "real" looking plane? Something extremely slow (it won't handle wind, though)? Aerobatic? There are so many great planes out there. The LiteStik is about as cheap as you can get, and there are a number of other foam wing planes. I started with them.

Doug
Old Jun 22, 2001, 11:40 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
36 Posts
I don't want to sound like a "Hater" but I don't really like the Foamie look... I have seen some foam cored w/ balsa/glass covers and I thought tose looked cool, but that is way too advanced for my current skills. I want to fly a nice plane that I can play with in my front/back yard, the park and someday when I build up the courage, a flying field. I'm not really looking for a scale model yet. But I do want something a little more rugged than the balsa fuse, for now. I really want something I can entertain my 1 1/2 yr old son with as well as myself. I want a decent amount of speed and the ability to fly with light wind.
Old Jun 22, 2001, 01:00 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
36 Posts
I think that sounds awesome. I would really like to have that special type of relationship with my son when the he is about that age. I hope I'm not offending any one for being off topic. do you have MSN messenger of ICQ?
Old Jun 22, 2001, 02:20 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
It is off topic but it is important. I married my boy's mom three years ago and had to learn to be a dad quickly.

Someone told me the other day "Anyone can be a father, it takes a real man to be a dad".

I don't have any form of instant messaging. I try to keep the plane business dispersed between real work during the day.

Doug
Old Jun 22, 2001, 03:06 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
36 Posts
Why is the Lightstick less expensive?
Old Jun 23, 2001, 12:08 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
I have a Spirit sailplane that I put a Speed 600 motor in. Flies okay but come it too hot and you'll be rebuilding the fuselage from the wing forward. When I got my LiteStik, I broke the fuse twice on bad landings. This is why I used carbon fiber for the DuskStik's fuse. I wanted something that could take the abuse of a beginner.

Any design is a series of compromises so the designer has to decide what's most important. When I designed the DuskStik, I placed durability and wind handling over ultra slow speeds. It still flies slow but not like my 4.5oz Kestral. On the other hand, I rarely fly the Kestral because it is rarely calm enough.

This Sunday I will be taking my DuskStik to an indoor event. I have a modified wing that doesn't have the bottom covering. I've been able to walk next to it while flying so it should be a trip indoors. Don't fly that wing in a brisk breeze though. Again, it's all compromise.

Doug
Old Jun 23, 2001, 12:13 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
36 Posts
I just read that you have a new design for your Duststick comming out, would that be a more advanced model? If not should I wait till you come out with a production model of your Duststick II for my first plane?
Old Jun 23, 2001, 12:14 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
36 Posts
Also, are those your two boys on your website? they must really enjoy their dad's hobby.