HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2005, 04:00 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Thinking about UBEC's and this seems WAY too easy

Just a thought as I am fairly "noobish" when it comes to small electronics. Anyway, would something like this work as a BEC? It's a plain voltage regulator but from what I can see, it seems pretty self contained, where added circuitry would not be needed. Note it says it can handle a 3amp output... Just something I was thinking about...

Don...
PDF sheet
more...
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2005, 04:14 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,372 Posts
Typically, devices this size can dissipate approximately 5 Watts without a heatsink.

If a 5V device were run from a 10V supply and was supplying 1A, this would be 5 Watts dissipated by the regulator.

If supplying 3A from a 10V supply, this would be 15 Watts and the device would shortly go into thermal protection.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Jul 18, 2005, 04:31 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Interesting.... can something like this be run in parallel with no other components?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 04:33 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,372 Posts
In parallel ?

With what ?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 04:37 PM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney
In parallel ?

With what ?
more than one of the fets in parallel is what i think he ment

these are what most 2-3cell ESC's use, thats why they are limited to 3 cells when the difference in voltage becomes larger they become less usefull and a switching regulator is needed
spastic is offline Find More Posts by spastic
Old Jul 18, 2005, 04:59 PM
Budapest
Joined Jul 2003
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN
Interesting.... can something like this be run in parallel with no other components?
Just use a heatsink instead.
mmormota is offline Find More Posts by mmormota
Old Jul 18, 2005, 05:39 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Thanks so far everyone..

So if I were to get 3 of these regulators, attach them to a small aluminum heat-sink, solder the equal legs together, and wire the assembly to my 3 cell lipo pack for testing, do you think it would be worth it? I could mock it up with some light bulbs to simulate 3-5amps and see how hot it gets before smoking my Rx/servos.

My main question I guess is, if wiring the legs of 3 or 4 of these together, is the correct way to do this, or if other things are needed...
Old Jul 18, 2005, 05:51 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,372 Posts
Should work, although if they were to do this on the Space Shuttle, because these are voltage sources, not necessarily exactly equal, they would use small balancing resistors on each of the outputs.

Usually bypass capacitors are added from the input and output to ground in order suppress any spurious oscillation.

Putting 3 regulators in parallel would not smoke your Rx and servos.

The output would be 5V at a max of 3A (when used with a 10V supply).

If the load current exceeded 3A (approximately 15W dissipated in the regulators if a 10V supply were used), the regulators would go into thermal protection and shut down, supplying zero volts to your receiver.
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Jul 18, 2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 06:21 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN
Thanks so far everyone..

So if I were to get 3 of these regulators, attach them to a small aluminum heat-sink, solder the equal legs together, and wire the assembly to my 3 cell lipo pack for testing, do you think it would be worth it? I could mock it up with some light bulbs to simulate 3-5amps and see how hot it gets before smoking my Rx/servos.

My main question I guess is, if wiring the legs of 3 or 4 of these together, is the correct way to do this, or if other things are needed...
The problem is that they are not going to be exactly the same voltage: In practice one will hog all the current and get hot while the others twiddle their electronic thuibs waiting for the voltage to drop below THEIR regulated output...

Far better to use a bit of heatsink and a single regulator.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:27 PM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,112 Posts
I use one of these to supply the retract servo. The rest of the system gets its power from elsewhere (SBEC in my case, could be UBEC, conventional BEC in the speed controller or RX pack).
This way I don't loose power to the flight controls if the retract servo stalls due to bent linkage or whatever. The voltage regulator shuts down on overcurrent or overtemperature and protects the servo, wiring etc. Heat dissipation is not an issue in this application, occasional short time use only.

Hans
hul is offline Find More Posts by hul
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:47 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,372 Posts
Clever !
Old Jul 19, 2005, 01:14 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Well, I ordered up 5 of these for testing....

After going over the spec PDF for a bit it looks like this regulator has some pretty good power handling capacity. At 12.5 volts it can still handle 5.5 amps before shutting down. After that it drops fast to about 3amps at 15 volts but as long as I can keep it cool, it seems to do pretty good... I'll do some testing and report back...
Old Jul 19, 2005, 01:53 PM
Northern SF Bay Area
Joined Apr 2005
63 Posts
Yes, cooling, with a light weight aluminum heat sink, and some thermal compound to ensure good thermal contact will help a lot. An easier solution might be to use mutlples, but to individual, isolated loads; an extension of the idea above. Wiring them in parallel is NOT a good idea, for the reasons given above.

I'd suggest giving a good thermal margin as well. Try to stay at least 25 degrees C below the data sheet max at the most extreme condition.

I'd also suggest using a good grade of electrolytic capacitor for the input and output bypass capacitors; 85C and rated for use in switching supplies, as there will be some fairly fast edges in the system.

Digi-Key is a good source.
Kulamata is offline Find More Posts by Kulamata
Last edited by Kulamata; Jul 19, 2005 at 02:04 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:24 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
OK.... Some very interesting, very good, info...

Test mule is my 3D plane, 4 cheap 9g servos, Nippy Black 2510/114, 2200mah 3 cell lipo with a charge to 12.6volts, brushless ESC with the red wire pulled.... What I did was high-temp epoxy one regulator to an approximately 1"x1"x.050" piece of aluminum, wire it into the battery side of the esc, and power the Rx through and amp meter.... I put a little tape on the hinges to simulate drag on the servos, and with no airflow, went crazy with the controls. I could never get the amp meter to read over 1.5 amps unless I REALLY yanked on the controls and these were only short bursts. The regulator/heat sink never got too hot to touch and keep in mind that the cut off temp is 250deg. F....

I'm pretty happy so far....
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:55 PM
Joined May 2003
768 Posts
Just curious, but what was the average current just sitting there and with the servos being lightly exercised?
matttay is offline Find More Posts by matttay