HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:07 PM
Somewhere below 10,000 feet.
Joined Jul 2005
79 Posts
Discussion
Blade CP Owners Thread

Just though I'd start a thread for my current favorite toy see where it goes.
PiperLance is offline Find More Posts by PiperLance
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2005, 03:13 PM
Dayton, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
15 Posts
Well it seems all blade owners should check for the sticky collective problem. Full details on that can be found here.

A nice looking scale conversion rests here.

And for those who love the "bling" like myself read this.

Would love to see more alu and CF parts modded to work with the blade!
r00t is offline Find More Posts by r00t
Old Jul 18, 2005, 03:20 PM
planes planes planes
NJ
Joined Aug 2004
108 Posts
Thanks for the links r00t
homer23 is offline Find More Posts by homer23
Old Jul 18, 2005, 03:42 PM
Usually underground in Virginia
Joined Oct 2004
395 Posts
I've had my Blade almost a month now and love it. What I don't love is the security of the tail rotor.

I've accidentally set it down a bit firmly a few times and the tail rotor popped off. OK, no big deal, I've got plenty of puel tubing pieces to put it back on.

Today, however, I lost a bearing and can't get a replacement until Friday. So I'm grounded till then.

Has any used a small nut and bolt to secure the tail rotor?
VACaver is offline Find More Posts by VACaver
Old Jul 18, 2005, 06:38 PM
2012 Camaro ZL-1 Heli Hauler
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,199 Posts
A small ID wheel collar will do the job. Just don't overtighten the set screw on the carbon shaft. Be aware if the T/R prop gets hung up with throttle applied, the 4 in 1 box may let the magic smoke escape. Sometimes it's better to have breakaway affordable parts. The bearings can be secured in the T/R housing by a drop of CA carefully applied with a straight pin to the outer shell only. Only do this if you have steady hands.

Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:02 PM
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Mar 2000
435 Posts
I'll chime in. Have my Blade for a week now. Got it on eBay for $135 shipped, couldn't resist and bought it. The seller said it was in excellent shape which I wasn't sure would be the case considering the price. Well it was absolutely in brand new condition and flew right out of the box. On my first flight about 3-4 feet into a hover it seemed to have a mind of it's when it suddenly darted up another 3-4 feet without a request to do so. Having read about the sticky collective I landed the heli and went in for the day as to not press my luck. Next day I did the fix and there is a definite change in the heli. I have not had the sticky collective issue again.

My only "problem" I have is the following and I am not sure if this is a problem or not, that is why I put it in quotes. After performing the sticky collective fix I Was doing a control check with the main and tail motors disconnected (of course!). Aileron and elevator control were great. What I am concerned about is the pitch of the blades. When I raise and lower the collective only 1 blade seems to respond. Don't know if the same thing happens in flight or if it is just a phenomenon due to the heli sitting stationary. Is this a problem? I hovered just fine after the collective fix and don't know if this is normal behavior.

Other than that I absolutely love this heli. I flew a Raptor 30 many years ago and this little heli gives me that same feeling of excitement to fly it. It is a very similar experience hovering it than it was the larger Raptor. I am definitely pleased with this heli.

docprego
docprego is offline Find More Posts by docprego
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:08 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,329 Posts
i think its just 1 blade is slightly easier to move,the looser 1 will move,mine does that too,its not a problem though,mines 6 weeks old,and flies great...
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
395 Posts
As dumb as it may sound, check your connections. Make sure all of your servos are connected to the swashplate and that the blade grips are connected to you paddle control frame.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:34 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,006 Posts
If you hold the flybar still while changing pitch, you should see both blade pitch change identically. If you don't hold it, it will simply tilt in the direction of the blade which has even slightly more friction. In flight, the centrifugal force applying to the rotating flybar will prevent this tilting.
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:42 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
I'm in. Have been flying my Blade now for over a month and LOVE it! I have had alot of gas heli's and been flying them for over 15 years. This is my first electric and I'm so glad I got the Blade instead of something elese. Have been doing loops and rolls with it on the stock motor (haven't gotten the lipos yet) and it handles them nicely. I did take off the flybar weights and that alone helped bring her over the top alot quicker. Glad to this this thread and will be checking it often.

Steve
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:59 PM
Somewhere below 10,000 feet.
Joined Jul 2005
79 Posts
That didn't take long to get some good comments going. I'm a long time fixed winger and decided to test my luck on heli's with the Blade. I've been hovering the damn thing all over my office, garage, kitchen, yard.

Today I did an accidental acrobatic bounce off the carpet, one main rotor blade hit one of my training gear balls and sent it flying across my office. I laughed for a full 5 minutes. Love it!
PiperLance is offline Find More Posts by PiperLance
Old Jul 18, 2005, 08:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
395 Posts
Piper,

You have indeed got guts for flying your Blade indoors as a newbie to helis!

I've also been a fixed-wing pilot for awhile. The first time I flew my Blade, I realized indoor flight was not gonna happen for a LONG time!

I spent a couple of weeks scooting around on the asphalt court-yard in front of my house before I even thought of getting it off the ground. When I finally did, I had a heck of a time keeping it within a 10-foot square area.

Now that I've gotten it up a bit (out of ground effect), I can stay within a 3-foot square area.

Jeeze, I can't imagine flying it inside my house.

Hmmm...maybe that explains all the postings from people complaining about broken parts.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:07 PM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
884 Posts
My first heli

Inside learning is definatly hard on blades! Ive made about 4 sets so far, copying the flat bottomed ones as close as possible. But I can hover inside now in about a 6 foot box. I'm new to helis and never really flew planes either. I did spend some time on the Clearview flight simulator, and feel it helped a lot. I have about 20 flights now and have only broken one LG and lost the tail skid (apart from the 4 sets of blades). Lipos on order now.
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:28 PM
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Mar 2000
435 Posts
VACaver: I have checked everything, all is fine. The swash plate does move up and down on the center hub just fine and the heli flies great. I was juist wondering if it ould fly even better, maybe I was missing something but didn't realize it? I am starting to think this is normal and not too worried about it.

Tonystott: I never tried that, I have always just tested with the flybar level but not held. Off to try that now!

Thanks all!

docprego
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:49 PM
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Mar 2000
435 Posts
Tonystott: you are correct sir! Held the flybar level and still and indeed both blades move in synchrony. Now I think 1 has a tiny smidgen more travel but I could be imagining that at this point. They are definitely both adjusting pitch and it flys great so no more worries!
Closed Thread