HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:57 PM
....PieMaster....
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
Healthcare ( goverment provided)

Guys i am looking for opinons from people with government healthcare in their
country. I am curious as to what you guys that have this think about it.
Waiting period? good or bad stories of personal experiences , family or friends
personal experience.

thank you
kenny
kave_man is offline Find More Posts by kave_man
Old Jul 18, 2005, 03:03 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,549 Posts
I've been hospitalised once hear in Spain, and have nothing but praise for the way I was treated by the public healthcare system.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:41 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,098 Posts
I'm not terribly conversant with the ins and outs of Australia's healthcare system because I've so rarely had to use it but it's something like this.

It's called Medicare and is partially funded by a 1.5% tax added to your normal taxable income but only comes into effect above about $15K/year (below that you pay nothing). Waiting periods for emergencies depends on the hospital, time of day, how serious the emergency is etc but can be anything from 5 minutes to most of the day. If you have something wrong with your eyes then you go to the head of the queue (I've had to do that twice). Elective surgery (say a hip replacement) can be a long wait, maybe a year or two, but in the end you have a new $10,000 hip for free.

If you go see your local practitioner then it can be free if they charge the standard rate. Others charge extra so you're out of pocket for whatever the extra may be. My doctor charges extra so it costs me about $7 a visit (call it about US$5).

Most people opt for extra private health insurance to get cover for things like optometrists and dental care. And choose their own doctor. And have a private room so they can have visitors at almost any time. And basically no waiting time for elective surgery.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jul 18, 2005, 06:56 PM
....PieMaster....
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
I've been hospitalised once hear in Spain, and have nothing but praise for the way I was treated by the public healthcare system.
how much do you pay in taxes?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:00 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,549 Posts
Total social security payments (medical & pensions) for freelance workers should be about 250/month. Because of that stroke I am now officially disabled and have a 50% discount for the next two years.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jul 18, 2005, 08:13 PM
....PieMaster....
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
martin

what is the average that a person pays in taxes out of his pay
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:57 PM
....PieMaster....
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
where are all you uk guys?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:09 PM
Suspended Account
kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
577 Posts
Quote:
Yeah... I was kinda' hoping this thread would get a better response, too. I've known a lot of people who live under the 'slavery' of socialized medicine, and while I've heard complaints I've never heard ONE who wouldn't laugh if it was suggested that they would be better off with a market-based, for-profit system like ours.

I was hoping to see at least one person who had guaranteed, fairly priced healthcare
who would be willing to say he'd prefer our system.

I'd like to have such a weird experience just once before I die. I thought this might be my chance.
badaltitude is offline Find More Posts by badaltitude
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:14 PM
....PieMaster....
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
it will not work like you think. come back to the real world . its not to late to get on the winning team.......................
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:21 PM
Suspended Account
kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
577 Posts
Quote:
it will not work like you think. come back to the real world . its not to late to get on the winning team.......................

About the saddest sight in the world is observing an obvious loser who thinks he's winning...in any game.

When it's your and your family's lives and health being gambled, it becomes tragic.
badaltitude is offline Find More Posts by badaltitude
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:28 PM
....PieMaster....
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badaltitude
About the saddest sight in the world is observing an obvious loser who thinks he's winning...in any game.

When it's your and your family's lives and health being gambled, it becomes tragic.
you must be looking at a democrat somwhere because the last time i checked they were unhinged and they were not winning
Old Jul 19, 2005, 03:08 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icrashedthecub
We're here in the UK.

Why would anyone feel compelled to answer the question posed?

Based on past performance, if a hypothetical UK guy were to post that he had an ingrowing toenail taken out five years ago and had to wear open-toed sandals for the following month until the wound healed, then the next thing we would probably see would be three new threads, with polls, like:

are ingroan toenails bad? Yes or No
do you ware sandals? Yes or No
are all demorats sandl waring commies? Yes or No

So what would be the point?

Downunder provided a detailed answer and there has been no further dialogue on that.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 19, 2005, 03:16 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
...then the next thing we would probably see would be three new threads, with polls, like:

are ingroan toenails bad? Yes or No
do you ware sandals? Yes or No
are all demorats sandl waring commies? Yes or No
You're killing me here.

Ingroan, demorats sandl waring commies -
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jul 19, 2005, 03:58 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Well, first of all you have to conisder what you mean by publicly provided healthcare, and secondly what kind of treatment you are looking for.

Foir example, many countries - but not the UK, provide public HEALTH INSURANCE. That is, the cost of treatement is underwritten by te state, but the healthcare itself is not provided directly by the state.

In te UK the government actuially runs the hospitals and doctors. This is nort always advantegaious because tehre is a temptauon to meddle in micro management and bend statistics for political purposes.

For example, the government set a target on how long you should have to wait for a doctors appointment: This reulted in doctors simply not taking long term appointments at all.

In general though, if you are cut, bleeding and in emergemcy admission, you get excellent treatment.

If you have a chronic but low level condition that is being treated outside hospital, you don't.

The basic reaosn is that the surgeries are full of people who have as Brian says, ingrowing toenails, and the doctors are stressed and don't really have time to spot the one in a hundred case that comes through that may be actually quite serious.

Also, they are full of people coming in to get a day off work. Its a condition of mots people semployment that they need a doctors certificate in order to get paid if off for more than a couple of days.

I went in some years back as a self emplyed person with a persistent lung infection, and te doictors reached for his [pad before even examining me. It took several minutes to make it clear I actually needed to get well, not stay sick..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 19, 2005, 05:03 AM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,979 Posts
In Denmark we have public health insurance. Generally my impression of the system is very good. However there are cases where people end up on waiting lists and some die before they reach the operating table because of this. Some of the large hospitals have had problems with budgets because they were managed by doctors and not by business professionals. That seems to have been corrected in recent years.

Here in Germany you can chose to have private health insurance once you earn above a certain limit. It has been my experience that we get preferential treatment because we are privately insured.

I like public health insurance but it comes at a high price. However I am willing to accept paying that price - this is one area where I definetly think those who can afford it should help pay for those who can't. Good public health is in the interest of everybody.

If I could change one thing I would like to see more money spent on prevention of illness rather than curing it. Far too many people suffer from lifestyle related illnesses.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot