HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2005, 08:33 PM
Joined Nov 2004
37 Posts
Why is the Easy Star so highly regarded for Newbies?

What about this plane makes it so easy for newbies? I'm considering getting it.
Jonger1150 is offline Find More Posts by Jonger1150
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2005, 08:57 PM
6 planes 2 jets 2 helis
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2002
865 Posts
It is a good stable plane to teach yourself how to fly.

It also comes with TONS of debate of other trainer planes ie... GWS Slow Stick. (this is a 3ch plane).

You picked a good starting plane, with about 12 days of INCREDIBLE reading if you do a search on Easy Star on these forums.
Pacoson71 is offline Find More Posts by Pacoson71
Old Jul 17, 2005, 09:56 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
It's not as easy as it is durable. Don't get me wrong, it is easy to fly but planes like the slowstick are easier. The easystar shines for it's durability when it comes to newbs, I bet your prop will last longer than your motor since it's a pusher, and since it's a belly slider landing is a no brainer. The foam it's made from bounces if you dork it on all but the most serious crashes. One thing thats tough for some newbs with the easystar is the takeoff since it is hand lauched but one could easily make a takeoff cart for it if you're flying off pavement, I've done this and it works well.

By the way the easystar is not just for newbs, I have one in my fleet, it can be just as fun as my bipes, paterns, and warbirds,...and it's alot easier to fly than my helis.
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:47 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
If you want to better understand, you can read this:

http://plawner.net/3/1st_plane/
and this
http://plawner.net/4/easystar/easystar.html
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:02 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,938 Posts
crashingagain has summed things up pretty well but the Easy Star is also considerably better aerodynamically than some other aircraft out there. This is not saying anything against a GWS Beaver for example as I've had one and got more than my money's worth out of it as a bundle of fun but the ES is better. It handles a breeze better, it can thermal given the right day, it won't trip over every time you land (on grass) and so on. Try one and you'll be hooked.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Jul 18, 2005, 08:47 AM
Joined Nov 2004
37 Posts
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/product_p/mpu13203.htm I found this supposed RTF kit. Why is this so much cheaper then everywhere else? I mailed the company and asked them for a bit more specifics.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:15 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Is this the price with the radio, speed Controlers, servo installed and plane ??
This is soooo cheap and so nice if everything is installed...

Sounds great to me.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:37 AM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,841 Posts
That looks like the normal price for the RTF version of the Easy Star. Same price here: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFXV0&P=ML . It is a good deal.
BrianRickman is online now Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Amazing how these companies can get such deals...

I started, few years ago, with a Wingo... What a gap with the possibilities of today. This is really nice !
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:24 AM
Joined Nov 2004
37 Posts
Will it really matter what version I get? The ARF or the RTF?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:28 AM
Joined May 2002
1,841 Posts
Either one will fly about the same. Putting the ARF together is a bit more work, but not difficult, and you will have to make more decisions while shopping. For the ARF you'll need to choose a transmitter, receiver, servos, and ESC. With either the ARF or RTF, you'll want to purchase a good battery charger and at least two battery packs, though three is better if you want to be able to fly all day (one charging, one cooling off, one in the plane).
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:29 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,058 Posts
I have one that I've trained my youngest on and helped another person on. Anyway the Easy Star brings to the table these items that I feel make a good trainer :

1) Hard to over control due to it's small rudder and is a stable platform.

2) Motor is up out of the way, so breaking a prop isn't a problem with the plane.

3) Easy to construct. Low part count. Couple hours and your ready to fly.

4) Durable. Haven't crashed it yet so haven't tested, but seems like it should take a beating for those who crash. Looks easy to fix.

5) Handles quite a bit of wind (with experience ... recommend to fly without wind when starting) . Aerodynamic.

6) Almost lands itself. It has a long glide path so easy to make 'adjustments' when on final .

7) No landing gear to get caught in grass or be pulled off. Just a simple belly lander.

8) Easy to store and transport. Three Pieces. Wings just pull apart .

9) Motor is Direct Drive, so no gearbox to fiddle with.

10) All electronics are 'standard' and can be moved to another plane when training is complete.

Lastly, it beats the looks of a Slow Stick by a mile (or two) .

Only downer is when it comes time to replace the motor. Not a 'quick' replacement procedure it 'looks' like as I haven't had to do that either .
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:50 AM
Joined Nov 2004
37 Posts
Looks like this kit comes with a better battery and charger. Will that battery make a difference? Could I just put one of those in it?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:06 AM
hzz
Thornhill(Toronto)Ontario
Joined Nov 2004
108 Posts
Does anyone know if the Easystar will float?

I am wondering what would happen if I landed it on the lake.....if it floated for a few minutes I would be able to recover it from my boat.

Is this a ridiculous idea?

Thanks
hzz is offline Find More Posts by hzz
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:08 AM
Joined May 2002
1,841 Posts
That is a better battery and charger, and yes, you could use that battery with the RTF version of the plane.