HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2005, 01:58 PM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Bluecor "Half Cat" Build Thread

This project started to build a Bluecor "King Cat" pusher type jet. You know a wing and fuse, with two booms and a high elevator, looks kind of like a single engine pusher P38. Well after I got the wing and fuse cut it looked great all by itself. I decided to dump the booms and extra elevator servo and make it a wing! So I'm calling it the Half Cat.

The wingspan is 36", single sheet Bluecor with CF arrow shaft Gorilla Glued on the back of the wing for stiffness. The fuse allows the motor to be mounted well behind the elevons to help quiet the noise. The fuse also allows the battery to be mounted forward of the wing to help balance the plane.

I was looking to make something fairly large and low drag, hence the flat plate wing and pointy fuse. All the flight gear will be housed in the fuse with exception of the elevon servos. Those I plan to cover them with cut plastic spoons to smooth out the airflow.

The completed airframe as you see it with no flight gear weighs 3.95 ounces. I'm still tossing around what power plant to use. There's still half an afternoon left, I just might finish this and maiden her today.

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2005, 02:45 PM
SX_
.........lost..........
Zambia, Lusaka, Lusaka
Joined Jun 2005
325 Posts
that is very cool!!
i want one!! i love wings!!
SX_ is offline Find More Posts by SX_
Old Jul 17, 2005, 07:05 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,313 Posts
awsome jimski,definately let me know how the maiden goes
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jul 17, 2005, 09:31 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
Jim

I LOVE it! But if you ever want to fatten it up a bit and go more WWII vs what to me looks like a very modern craft, have a look at this.

Bet ya never saw one of those before!!

Or.... there is always this

If you can dream it most likely the Luftwaffe did as well!
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Last edited by tommytorino; Jul 17, 2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:45 PM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Dang, those German engineers were ahead of their time.

I decided to give the old GWS350 on 3 cells another try. Tonight I worked up a GWS350 "C" ratio swinging a 7060 prop (cut down 8060) off a 3 cell TP 1320. Wattmeter read about 90 watts, 8.7 amps. MotoCalc tells me about 11 ounces of thrust at a 55mph pitch speed.

I still have quite a bit of work to do on this, will not be doing the maiden for a few days.

Jimsky
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:14 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
Jim

Keep me posted to when you might get it out for a maiden. With this weather were having I might just work shorter days!

Tommy
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:00 AM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,720 Posts
I have a micro-bee which I never got dialled/comfortable with and had the idea of using it as a basis for a kingcat style pusher. See the core overlaid on a kingcat picture, it's almost perfect! This will give me a genuine (thin too) airfoil, molded EPP wing for the cat.

What do you think?
Magnum9 is online now Find More Posts by Magnum9
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:39 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Magnum9,
Sure, I'd say give it a try it looks like a great little project. I started to build a King Cat and turned it into a wing, you've got a wing and want to turn it turn it into a King Cat.

I'm not familar with the Micro-Bee but what was the problem with it? With all my wings once I got the CG right, the throws and EXPO set up they all will fly hands off.

Looks like I'll be changing the powerplant; www.fancyfoam has Castle Creation Phoenix 10's for $40, so I picked one up. Tonight I'll be looking at some lightly used Razor motors.

Jimsky
Old Jul 19, 2005, 08:10 AM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,720 Posts
The micro-bee is a 25" span molded EPP wing. I also have a mini-bee which is 34.5" and flies hands off as you say. I think I probably didn't persevere long enough with the smaller wing getting the CG right as when I did get it in the air it was very twitchy and prone to spiral dives. I might try once more before converting it. It does have the most awesome roll rate though.
Magnum9 is online now Find More Posts by Magnum9
Old Jul 19, 2005, 03:39 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
I think this will work I have been mulling over the same idea. I love the idea of using a proven air foil and using blue core to add some light body work. i am starting out with a F-27 bare fuse Stryker. I have already got in the habit of cutting them into wings so whats one more step into making them into a jet. Keep us posted.
Wingtips24 is offline Find More Posts by Wingtips24
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:08 PM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Got the Half Cat finished, but I had to go back to the GWS350 motor for the maiden flight. I purchased a used Razor350 but the mounting threads were stripped. I'm working out getting a RazorSaver.

So here she is in brushed motor form:

GWS350 "C" ratio
GWS 8060 prop cut down to 7060
Nylon nut prop saver
BlueBird 15 amp ESC
Thunder Power 3 cell 1320maH battery
Plantraco DSP4 receiver
Litenna
BlueBird 9 gram servos

She tips the scales at 12.4 ounces...that's with 0.5 ounces of lead in the nose. When I go to the Razor and CC10 they are both lighter than their brushed counterparts. Additionally I can loose the nose ballast, she should really lighten up.

Tomorrow I'll be doing the maiden flight, can't wait.

Jimsky
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:03 PM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Well did the maiden tonight, she flew!

Just open the throttle, a gentle underhand toss and she was off. The 1st thing I noticed was she was slow as a brick. Flys, but nowhere as fast as I thought. She's stable, climbs OK, will roll but not fast at all.

Then she got slower and slower and finally the motor just stopped. I pulled off a dead stick landing. The GWS350 died. OK, I'm finished with trying these motors on 3 cells.

Today I received a CC10 from FancyFaom and a Razor Saver from the guy I bought the motor from. I'll be mounting up a Razor350, loosing the nose ballast and giving her another try. With less weight and more power I think she just might shine.

Jimsky
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:11 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsky
Well did the maiden tonight, she flew!

Just open the throttle, a gentle underhand toss and she was off. The 1st thing I noticed was she was slow as a brick. Flys, but nowhere as fast as I thought. She's stable, climbs OK, will roll but not fast at all.

Then she got slower and slower and finally the motor just stopped. I pulled off a dead stick landing. The GWS350 died. OK, I'm finished with trying these motors on 3 cells.

Today I received a CC10 from FancyFaom and a Razor Saver from the guy I bought the motor from. I'll be mounting up a Razor350, loosing the nose ballast and giving her another try. With less weight and more power I think she just might shine.

Jimsky

Jimskky get rid of that 350 GWS motor 3s is too much in my opinion and throw something like a cheap $22 permax 450 turbo motor from towerhobbies or even a speed 400 or 480 from hobby-lobby and anywhere from a 4.5 X 4.1 to a 5.25 X5 APC and she will kick for ya. Its a cheap investment to get er going around 35-45mph with that shape I would think. Don't be discouraged I think a 350 is the wrong motor for that wing and you did such a nice job it's worth adding a motor that can utilize the shape. You may need to add a carbon spar for stiffness though cause that kind of speed will bend the wing if its just blue core
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:15 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
Donít let Jim fool you, the plane flies better then he gives it credit for.

1 Word Jim

A X I

Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:17 PM
Mr. ExperiMENTAL
Joined Apr 2004
1,715 Posts
LOL yea she looks fast but as I looked again I shuttered to think of her flying with no carbon it will bend as soon as you yank it a few times. It may feel real stiff but if will bend after a few yanks weakend the wing a bit if you know th CG then add some Carbon there.