HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2002, 02:08 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Flight Report Tilde W/ GWS Fan

Little wind today FINALLY! Took Tilde over to church and launched it. Needed more elevator but after adjustment flew GREAT!
I flew it for about 30 minutes on lithiums. Climbed out nicely needs a small dive to loop but think as I move CG back it will loop from level flight. Seems to still be a little nose heavy. I removed the front half of the skid back to the receiver as the Foam does a better job in a crash. (Ticked a tree and did a nice boomarang inpression ending in a dive that broke the original balsa skid.) Had to add a little weight to nose to offset weight of removed skid as I didn't want the battery to take full force of any crash. Contact cemented a small piece of EPP foam to remaining skid face which provides super protection to receiver. (See pic)
Is a little more responsive to control input than the Popfly and is a little touchy like the Zagi. With the small 2 foot wing span this little jewel will go with me on all my outings. Wind came up toward end of session and it handles the wind better than I expected. All in all a delightful combination. In Pic foam piece I added is just back of battery.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2002, 03:34 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,185 Posts
How's about a pic of the fan installation, Boomer?

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 25, 2002, 03:36 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Awesome!! 30 minutes, can't beat that! Did you try rolls? If so, how was the rate? Looks like a strong candidate for my next li-on plane!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Apr 25, 2002, 03:38 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Mark, more pics are in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=39256
Old Apr 25, 2002, 03:57 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Mark,
Here is a closeup of Fan attachment. Have added a few drops of epoxy to anchor it after flight adjustment. Nice thing is by cutting 2 ties can slip on GWS A if so inclined.,however, I like the fan so much I probably won't.
Tres,
Didn't try anything fancy as was trying to get CG to my liking and wind came up again before I could fly anymore. Now gusting to 20mph!
boomer
Old Apr 26, 2002, 02:37 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
What, this is on page 3 already?

C'mon Boomer spill the beans! Have you had this little jewel out to fly again?
Old Apr 26, 2002, 05:31 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Tres,
Cracked a fan blade sometime. Probably when I broad sided the Sand Box. It finally let go so waiting for fan blade shipment from Todd.
boomer
Old Apr 26, 2002, 06:58 PM
Private Pilot, M20J Owner
Lake Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
86 Posts
Have you seen this?

This guy claims 25% better thrust output. I sure would be interested if you can confirm it...25% better thrust?
ThunderChicken is offline Find More Posts by ThunderChicken
Old Apr 26, 2002, 07:19 PM
AeroMicro
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Sep 2001
713 Posts
Hello ThunderChicken:

I talked to Dennis last week and he made a few more experiments. He lengthened the tail cone and the preformance is even better and quieter.

GoEFlight is offline Find More Posts by GoEFlight
Old Apr 26, 2002, 07:33 PM
Private Pilot, M20J Owner
Lake Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
86 Posts
Just curious, I understand why the front ring would make a difference but I don't fully understand why a trailing cone would make such a huge difference. Can you explain? Creates less back pressure allowing for higher velocity air movement??? To me, I think that would explain why a longer cone works better.

That's my best guess? More info please.
ThunderChicken is offline Find More Posts by ThunderChicken
Old Apr 27, 2002, 05:44 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Boomer wrote:
==Cracked a fan blade sometime. Probably when I broad sided the Sand Box. . ==

Oh no! Touch-and-goes with the sandbox and the sandbox won?

TC wrote:
==Just curious, I understand why the front ring would make a difference but I don't fully understand why a trailing cone would make such a huge difference. ==

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking there might be a vortex created just behind the outlet and air could actually get sucked into the center creating turbulence (like in a whirlpool, swirling around the perimeter causes suction in the center). That cone may move the vortex downstream where it can't impact the push effect of the motor.
Old Apr 27, 2002, 07:15 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
tres:

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking there might be a vortex created just behind the outlet and air could actually get sucked into the center creating turbulence (like in a whirlpool, swirling around the perimeter causes suction in the center). That cone may move the vortex downstream where it can't impact the push effect of the motor. [/B][/QUOTE]

that sounds about right to me

I know that for carburators a veocity stack is used to match the incoming air to the carburator throat. It smooths the flow into the carburator by creating a transition in diameter. I supect that the ring on the inlet to the the fan unit has a similar effect.

The tail cone also concentrates the air speeding it up. The tail cone however is a trade off.

My guess is that it also creates somewhat of a restriction in total flow.
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs