HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2002, 01:15 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,412 Posts
I quit! No more GWS RX 4 Me!

All:
I have had more problems than not with these darn single conversion GWS recievers. I have had three and only one still works. I have not plugged them in wrong. I have not had one single crash, and the darn thing just stopped working today. Tried different setups and different crystals. Nothing seems to work!

Help!

This has stopped being any fun at all! If this is the way that this little stuff is then I quit. I'll just jeep flying my reliable Hitec gear in my wings and forget about it. ($300 later). Live and learn.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is online now Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Last edited by Fred Bronk; Apr 28, 2002 at 12:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2002, 01:20 PM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
I've got 5 of them. Haven't had one miss a beat yet.

Mike

Noticed you're a pilot, are you flying at the airport, or maybe the radar installations parking lot? (just kidding)
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Last edited by Mikerjf; Apr 25, 2002 at 01:37 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 01:23 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
That's the ticket, get a nice reliable HiTec Feather!

You can probably find one REAL cheap.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Apr 25, 2002, 01:31 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
While I haven't had any trouble with the reliability of the R4P, I have had glitching issues. While not a problem on a slowflyer, it can make flying more aerobatic planes "interesting". For the faster planes, I use the FMA Extreme 5 RX.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Apr 25, 2002, 01:35 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
Between the 4 I have and the 3 at work, we have had a total of 3 failures. 2 never worked well and 1 started to act intermitent after several hours of use. They are cheap and light and when they work - great. But when they don't you are out $30+. I won't buy anymore and will go back to the Hitec 555's that I've had for years and still work after crashes (sometimes I have to replace the crystal). Besides the local HS carries the Hitec and JR crystals, but not the GWS. When I need them, I don't want to wait a week for shipping.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Apr 25, 2002, 01:39 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,412 Posts
re:
"That's the ticket, get a nice reliable HiTec Feather!
You can probably find one REAL cheap."

Real Helpful

Nice comment! Thanks for all the help!

The hitec gear that I was talking about was not the feather, i.e. micro 555 in the Zagi. I understand there are huge issues with that one(feather). I don't appreciate the condescending attitude of that post. I'm sure that its just operator error Huh? Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2002, 01:49 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sukhoi26mx
re:
"That's the ticket, get a nice reliable HiTec Feather!
You can probably find one REAL cheap."

Real Helpful

Nice comment! Thanks for all the help!

The hitec gear that I was talking about was not the feather, i.e. micro 555 in the Zagi. I understand there are huge issues with that one(feather). I don't appreciate the condescending attitude of that post. I'm sure that its just operator error Huh? Thanks
I think the idea is that the hitec equivilant is not at all "equivilant". There are many applications where a 555 is just to heavy. If I can use a 555 then it's worth it. But on light indoor models I'd choose a GWS r4P over the feather any day. Sounds like your having really bad luck. I've had about a dozen r4p's and never had one just quit on me... even after some serious abuse.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Apr 25, 2002, 01:57 PM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
sukhoi26mx,

I've got four of the R4P's and one R6N and I've never had any problems other than a shorting antenna lead on the circuit board of one of the R4P's. You might want to look at that.
Guess I'm one of the satisfied customers.

Dorme is right about the crystals though. My LHS carries crystals for all the receivers except GWS! I always thought that was kind of strange, they sell GWS pico flight packs, but don't carry any crystals for them. If you buy a flight pack there you would have to wait a week for them to get a crystal to go in it.

Jimmy
Capt. Electron is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Electron
Old Apr 25, 2002, 02:20 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,412 Posts
Capt Electron,
Here are the symptoms. I took the Drenalyn out front to fly (2nd flight if the day using 7x300Nimh and DXA. Plugged the battery in and all I got was a glitchy furball of servo activity. The transmittor was on. When I repeat the same with different speed controllers, batteries, servos,.etc... I get the same response. I tried a different crystal, no help. Tried the faulty reciever in the CUB, no help.

No response except a glitchy mess. The other one did the same exact thing. This reciever is only 3 week old with maybe 20 flights on it.

What would I be looking for on the antennae short? I opened the plastic case and saw the antannae going into the board. Looks secure with about 1/8" of wire exposed. Don't know what to look for in there. Doesn't look like a problem though.

thanks for you help.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 02:32 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Try re-seating the crystal. Unplug it, put a slight bend in the leads - like a banana - the plug ut back in. I keep mine in place with tape.

Good luck.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Apr 25, 2002, 02:39 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,412 Posts
CoClimber,

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.
I guess its just bad luck

Thanks

Scott
Old Apr 25, 2002, 02:59 PM
Now with more COWBELL!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
Scott:

What ESC are you using? GWS or other? I'm wondering about possibly an overvoltage condition going to the RX, and maybe cooking them that way.

Beats me. I've got five of them so far, with no problems yet. I have used the 555 only for bigger/longer range stuff.
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old Apr 25, 2002, 02:59 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
If you'll send it to me I'll test it out. I've done lots of work/modification/repair after I blew them up... on the GWS pico recievers. I'll check it out and fix it if I can free of charge. PM me if your interested.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Apr 25, 2002, 03:00 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Scott, you mentionned that the antenna wire is bare for a length of 1/8". That's too much. The insulation should be butting right against the solder joint. The exposed wire can touch a nearby chip (SMD cap or resistor, I forget), and that's enough to get this thing glitching. Have you tried the Rx out of the plastic case with the antenna wire clear of any other device on the board?
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Apr 25, 2002, 03:03 PM
Joined Apr 2002
4 Posts
I think it is a range issue

I have damaged two planes because of erratic behavior by the GWS receivers. I think the maximum range of 500 feet that they specify with the receiver is too great. I suspect that they are really only good for small park flyers at a couple of hundred feet. Replacing them with the HiTec Feather solved the problems for me.
donaldtheduck2 is offline Find More Posts by donaldtheduck2