HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 19, 2005, 04:53 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,936 Posts
While we are discussing things that don't appeal to us, I cannot stand long articles written by others. I much prefer succinct thougths of an individual. A quote here or there is great, put an cut and paste espistle isn't needed.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 05:24 PM
Human Like You
NewbieX's Avatar
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
While we are discussing things that don't appeal to us, I cannot stand long articles written by others. I much prefer succinct thougths of an individual. A quote here or there is great, put an cut and paste espistle isn't needed.

LcJ
Agree, wholeheartedly. While a good article or link to some info can spur our conversations and bring in new ideas, mostly we get partisan punditry and manipulated stats, which does little more than rile us up.

We're all people that enjoy RC. Cars, boats, planes and the rich diversity among the different practices. No reason we can't be civil and even enjoy the virtual company, no matter our particular point of view.

Some of my most rewarding relationships in life have been with people that have very different ideas and experiences than I do (my Grandfather, some teachers, bosses and friends) on a whole range of issues, activities and events.

I'm personally going to make an effort to treat everyone here as I would my flying buddies. That is, after all, how we all found LTUP.
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 05:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
This is insane.

No, the goal of this forum is not to perfect spelling and grammar. Though it is used time and time again as a great way to avoid content and instead add criticism.

Calling names? If that's what you think it is. I stated an attitude that was being shown. And I stand by that.

How many of you, in the middle of conversations in real life stop people and correct them when they fall out of the rules of English? Hopefully none of you. There is no more reason to do it here.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2005, 05:57 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
I guess there is a difference between what is acceptable in the spoken and written versions of any language; the latter invariably being more conservative. There will be some who see the forum as an extension to speaking and others who view it as an obvious use for written English. There are times in conversation, though, when you might ask someone to repeat or rephrase something. On a forum, this could become tiresome and unfeasible (and on this forum, cause you to fall foul of the posting ratios ).
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 06:42 PM
Human Like You
NewbieX's Avatar
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
This is insane.

No, the goal of this forum is not to perfect spelling and grammar. Though it is used time and time again as a great way to avoid content and instead add criticism.

Calling names? If that's what you think it is. I stated an attitude that was being shown. And I stand by that.

How many of you, in the middle of conversations in real life stop people and correct them when they fall out of the rules of English? Hopefully none of you. There is no more reason to do it here.
Thanks for your opinion. I do not have that same opinion.

If I don't understand someone speaking to me or just can't hear them. I ask them to repeat or speak up, because I want to know what they are saying. Few things annoy me more than a loud room where I can't hear people I'm talking with.

I don't think it's asking so much to be able to comprehend what others are saying with as little struggle as possible. What's the point of this, otherwise?

It's not insane. It's only polite to speak and write in a manner which can be well understood. My problem with bad sentences and spelling is the same problem everyone has with ebonics. It's more difficult to understand.

Insane is inventing new spellings and flaunting the rules of the written language and expecting to be well understood.

Do you remember G-Man? Did you enjoy the physical struggle of reading his posts with run on all day sentences and forty sentences per paragraph?

It was a chore just to read it.

Again, I'm not saying everything needs to be perfect, but a little effort goes a long way when trying to communicate via text.
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 06:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
To me, there's a big difference in asking someone in person to speak up because they are speaking low or there is a lot of background noise, and simply responding to their post with a link to a spell checker. If you don't see it as I stated it was, that's fine, but I disagree with you.

Perhaps I look at it in terms of the message being the important part. It's not like it kills brain cells to figure most of it out.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Just a few corrections, since you seem to like to do it to others.

Yet again you bring up hate. There is no hate. Just merely saying what sort of attitude shows from what you did. If you don't agree, that's fine. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks the same in terms of what you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer
Apparently name-calling is OK

While I made no judgment on anyone's spelling or grammatical errors
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:21 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
Just a few corrections.....Just merely saying what sort of attitude shows from what you did.
Since you feel "corrections" are in order, let's do just that.

I expressed no "attitude" - in fact, I said NOTHING - I merely provided a link to a spell checker that I use myself. It's a tool that I personally find useful and feel that others could also. I criticized NO ONE.

You're the one who made assumptions, accusations and name calling.

Quote:
Just a few corrections, since you seem to like to do it to others.
Try reading a little closer and you'll find I merely provided a link to a spell checker. No corrections, no criticisms.
You seem to have a problem understanding that.

Besides, name calling can be spelled with or without the hyphen.

name calling

n : verbal abuse; a crude substitute for argument

If you're going to try correcting someone you'd better make sure you're right. That's why I don't do it - too much chance of making a foolish mistake.

This discussion has become tiresome & boring.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Last edited by CoastalFlyer; Jul 19, 2005 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
As stated, it was what I saw. If that wasn't your intent, fine, but it was the appearance of it. It people can express an attitude without saying anything or very little, I doubt that is questionable.

Wouldn't it have been less vague if you said "Hey, I find this useful." along with the link? I know I would have viewed it quite differently.

As for the the proper way to use 'name calling' or 'name-calling'. My MS Word suggests it can only be used with an '-' in it. And we know Bill Gates is god, and knows more than anyone, so that MUST be right.

If you can't see how such a post could come across as both arrogant and condesending... well, I don't know what to say. But saying it was seen as such is not 'name-calling'.

-----------------
ar·ro·gant
adj.

1. Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
2. Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others: an arrogant contempt for the weak.

con·de·scend·ing
adj.

Displaying a patronizingly superior attitude: “The independent investor's desire to play individual stocks may well worry some market veterans, but that smacks a little of Wall Street's usual condescending attitude toward small investors” (Tom Petruno).
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2005, 08:50 PM
God is good
Viper Pilot's Avatar
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer
. . . . This discussion has become tiresome & boring.
Why am I picturing arm extended, palm held forward, fingers spread???

About as rude as the finger!!!

It could be just me, though.

Viper
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
It's not just you.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 20, 2005, 01:52 AM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
There does come a point where "sticking up for your buddy" becomes the thinly veiled excuse to further your own underlying anger at someone.

This is getting tiresome, in my opinion. Why rehash it over and over, especially as the so-called "damaged party" has had nothing to say about it. Not exactly like he has had the most gentlemanly disposition on the forum is it?

I know, do a poll!
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 01:59 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
There does come a point where "sticking up for your buddy" becomes the thinly veiled excuse to further your own underlying anger at someone.
Pretty obvious, isn't it?

Rather than meaningful discussion, some must resort to personal attacks. A sure sign of a weak argument. Too bad, so sad.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 02:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
You guys are absolutely right.

How horrible of you other people that do this. You should be better people like we are.


Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools