Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 17, 2005, 09:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieX
What complex problem or issue was Bush's Tax Cut a well thought out solution to?

Billionaires without enough vacation homes and party boats? Perhaps the excrutiating choice between vacation homes in St Thomas or St John, Lake Como, Hilton Head or the Swiss Alps?

Rejoice, now they can get all five. Whew, that was a close one.
that 'tax cut for the rich' is such an old tactic. And untrue this time around. People at EVERY level got a tax cut. But keep playing class warefare if that's what you want to do.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:03 AM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
I'm glad to know that I am considered rich by your standards newbie.....I received a tax cut...guess that makes me rich huh?
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:08 AM
....PieMaster....
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
I must be rich also .....I got a tax cut ...........

If you make 500000 and get a 5% cut that that equals 25000

or you make 50000 and get a 5% cut that equals 2500

then the middle class guy and the ultra rich guy get the same tax cut

SIMPLE MATH
kave_man is offline Find More Posts by kave_man
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:10 AM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
you are about to get blasted for being simple. As out tax system is a complicated thing as we all know
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:44 AM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
If one chooses to define "progress" as a state of social and economic equality for all, a Progressive passively labels those who don't hold to their aims as "regressive," which is a bit more demonizing than the opposite of liberal: conservative.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:57 AM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Look, if you want to justify the raiding of the US Treasury to the overwhelming advantage of Billionaires (at a time of war and economic hardship) by talking about the few hundred to few thousand dollars most of us got, that's fine.

It's ridiculous, but fine.

I'd rather the country was solvent and not making interest payments on borrowed dollars while literally giving away hundreds of billions.

Look at the stats, it's all there. The middle class pays the bills these days. The super-rich and the corporations pay less than they did in the past.

Class Warfare is nothing new. It's been going on since before this country was founded. The Bush Admin just made it clear that's what they were doing. I'm not sure it's my responsibility to give our President a pass on his actions.

I'd be all for a flat tax where we all pay the same rate, but with the tax shelters, off-shore corps, the loopholes a good tax attorney can find and so many other events of recent years...we're getting screwed so corporations can report higher profits and the very wealthy can buy more luxuries.

If that's cool with you, by all means, support the President's Tax Cut.
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:04 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bē
If one chooses to define "progress" as a state of social and economic equality for all, a Progressive passively labels those who don't hold to their aims as "regressive," which is a bit more demonizing than the opposite of liberal: conservative.
I think of it more as seeing a system that is generally very good, but could use some improvement. Then saying OK, let's address those deficiencies and make some progress.

Equal Rights before the Law and this country's struggle to make that true is but one area that could use some progress. Equal representation and equal opportunity are a few others.
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:10 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
you are about to get blasted for being simple. As out tax system is a complicated thing as we all know
Don't be passive aggressive. If you have a valid point, try to make it. If I want this level of debate, I'll talk to my 12 year old niece.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Dog,

In all fairness, his comment wasn't '12 year old'. Very often in the past, it is exactly what happens. "you silly conservatives are too simplistic, things are much more complex..." I've seen it, and had it said to me.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:27 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icrashedthecub
I must be rich also .....I got a tax cut ...........

If you make 500000 and get a 5% cut that that equals 25000

or you make 50000 and get a 5% cut that equals 2500

then the middle class guy and the ultra rich guy get the same tax cut

SIMPLE MATH
Again, it is not "Simple" math. If you knew what you were talking about, you would not make such a lame assertion.

Nobody cares about the dollar amount of the tax cut. It is not a valid metric. Instead, what counts is the percentage of income. The top income earners pay a smaller percentage of their income in taxes than you or I do.

It's just that "simple"...
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:29 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
Dog,

In all fairness, his comment wasn't '12 year old'. Very often in the past, it is exactly what happens. "you silly conservatives are too simplistic, things are much more complex..." I've seen it, and had it said to me.

Saying "Sometimes it really is Simple" is not twelve year old. It's alsi true to some extent.

Passive aggressive insinuations meant as arguments are very twelve year old.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:36 PM
Parrothead Extraordinaire
Island of Margaritaville.No parallels of latitude or longitude mark the spot exactly. Passports are not required
Joined Sep 2002
797 Posts
Long live the Boston tea party!
Mark Gund is online now Find More Posts by Mark Gund
Old Jul 17, 2005, 01:33 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Saying "Sometimes it really is Simple" is not twelve year old. It's alsi true to some extent.

Passive aggressive insinuations meant as arguments are very twelve year old.
It wasn't meant as an argument....take it at face value. I was stating my opinion that he was about to get blasted for trying to reduce it to its lowest terms in order to express a point. You fufilled my prophecy nicely thank you.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 01:37 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
It wasn't meant as an argument....take it at face value. I was stating my opinion that he was about to get blasted for trying to reduce it to its lowest terms in order to express a point. You fufilled my prophecy nicely thank you.
Sure it's an argument. It's an attempt to minimize a point without making one of your own.

Just like saying "Of course you'd say that. Republicans always say that".
Old Jul 17, 2005, 02:00 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
You just don't get it do you?
I wasn't trying to make a point. I was merely making an observation that he was going to get called out for being simple. That seems to happen a lot here.
I'm not as smart or as educated as you so I am a simpleton i guess.
That also renders my opinion useless and irrelevant also I guess. Unlike some people here, I can comment without tryng to score political points.