HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:52 AM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
checks for AP jobs.

I would like to do some AP for hire but I am not ready to go all the way to the point of getting a business license, bank account, etc. just to do a few jobe here and there. I know that there is a practice in business where you can use your own name, like "Scott Parker Aerial Photography", and this makes things easier as far as acting like a business, but not having to do all the license and separate bank account stuff. Am I correct in assuming someone can wirte me a check with the business name above and I can cash it in my own personal bank account, or am I confused? If that's the case why do people use their own name for business.

scott
citabria is offline Find More Posts by citabria
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
When I do anything for hire unless it's a steady job it's cash only. That simplifies things to quite a degree. Also, when you become a "business" there are all sorts of people standing in line wanting to charge you more for even the basics like electricity.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:11 PM
Cumming, GA
Joined Dec 2002
120 Posts
Scott:

I think that if the check is made out the other way around ie:
"Scott Parker"
"DBA:Scott Parker Aerial Photography"
(DBA=Doing Business As)

you should probably be OK with your bank.

Ken
Ken S is offline Find More Posts by Ken S
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:47 PM
Abundantly deficient.......
Orange County, CA
Joined May 2004
723 Posts
Works for me!
CptMike is offline Find More Posts by CptMike
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:10 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
If your just doing a little business you can consider it a hobby business and it's best to just use your name.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:06 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Using your name is the most simple. You are a sole proprietorship and not a partnership or corporation at this point. However, most states make it very easy to file a DBA (doing business as) without regard to whether you have a particular business license, tax ID, sales tax permit, etc. Every state/county/city is different about what they require.

For now, unless you are going to engage this as a sole occupation, I'd keep it as a hobby that you occasionally make a buck or two. If it gets bigger than that, you'll know and then you can do all the official stuff to go along with it.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Jul 17, 2005, 02:45 PM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
dapple,
That's my feeling exactly. I'll look into the DBA stuff. Thanks everyone.
citabria is offline Find More Posts by citabria